TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
15gwendolynn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gwendolynn

Points: 3,610, Level: 8 Points: 3,610, Level: 8 Points: 3,610, Level: 8

Anxiety in Fast Food - June 10th 2017, 11:26 AM

Currently I just started working at a fast food restaurant (Wendy's) and my anxiety has been through the roof. I've been making sandwiches and you have to go really fast because they get super busy and I can't do it. I like to take my time and make sure I get everything right, but with fast food you really can't do that. I know that I've only been here a couple of days but frankly I've been have an emotional break down everytime I have to get up and go. I got a job cause I wanted money and frankly I don't know if I can do this. Everyone keeps telling me that it'll get better, but I have really really bad anxiety. Has anyone else had this problem?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15 Points: 11,420, Level: 15

Re: Anxiety in Fast Food - June 10th 2017, 12:10 PM

Hi there I've never gotten a job like that which would induce anxiety, but I can completely imagine how stressful that must be as I have social anxiety. I would say give it another 3-7 days and if it hasn't gotten any easier, quit. It's not worth the money if it's causing you so much distress, and you should always put your mental health first. Maybe there're other jobs you could do which are less fast-paced and more enjoyable for you?

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
15gwendolynn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gwendolynn

Points: 3,610, Level: 8 Points: 3,610, Level: 8 Points: 3,610, Level: 8

Thumbs up Re: Anxiety in Fast Food - June 10th 2017, 12:54 PM

Thank you so much! I'm sure their are other jobs in my area that I could work at.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Anxiety in Fast Food - June 11th 2017, 12:41 AM

I struggle with anxiety and there are certain work environments/situations that would increase my anxiety. However, there have been times where I have volunteered somewhere and had some extreme anxiety but after waiting it out the anxiety did get better. I think you should consider giving it a month or so before making a decision about quitting. I mean, there are some things I can't do due to my anxiety and the way it impacts performance etc such as driving people around. But, things like talking on the phone have actually gotten easier with exposure.

If after a month (or the designated amount of time you set aside) you don't notice a decrease in anxiety then I don't think it would be an bad thing to quit.

Best of luck.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Average Joe

Name: Fallon

Points: 6,996, Level: 12 Points: 6,996, Level: 12 Points: 6,996, Level: 12

Re: Anxiety in Fast Food - June 12th 2017, 01:05 AM

I completely understand what you mean. When I got my first job in fast food working at Sonic, I literally had a mental breakdown at work because I was still new taking orders and I felt like I had no other option but to ring in an order as fast as the customer was telling me and I wasn't aware of the layout of the POS so it would take me a moment to find the correct item. Though taking orders and making food is completely different, I still understand where you're coming from. Practice and time is what it's going to take for the anxiety to lessen (I'm not job number 4 now and I've been here for a year and a half and I can make food and take an order for the drive-thru at the same time because of the practice and the time I've spent. It all just depends on the person). I also know that multi-tasking and fact-paced movement is not for everyone so if you don't see yourself being this kind of person I suggest trying to find another job. Like Skye said, the money is not worth the stress.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.
Closed Thread