TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Pro gaming - July 4th 2017, 08:53 PM

Since i was a kid i wanted to be a pro gamer i didnt want to do anything else in live only gaming thats all now that im older i really want to go for it but ever one tells me its impossible and it will never work my biggest problem is my mom she doesnt respect my dream and she doesnt want to help me getting there its so fucking hard im not going to do any thing else besides that

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Pro gaming - July 6th 2017, 08:30 AM

When you say ''pro gamer'', what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about, for example, making a living by playing video games on YouTube or Twitch or something similar? Or do you mean being a competitive player and making a living by playing in tournaments and such?

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Pro gaming - July 6th 2017, 01:12 PM

Yes just playing in tournaments

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Pro gaming - July 6th 2017, 08:34 PM

It's great you have a dream but you need to have a backup plan. My friend's husband wanted to be a pro baseball player. He went for it for a few years and was drafted to a pro team at one point but it ended up not going all that well. He didn't have a back up plan for some time and it caused a lot of friction between them and they broke up for a while because of it. Then, they discussed things and compromised. He could do what he wanted to do for a few years but if it didn't go anywhere he was going to have to get a job and figure it out. He ended up getting a job but he is able to do stuff within the baseball field.

So, yes, it's great that you have a dream. It would be great for you to pursue it but you need to have some kind of back up plan in case it doesn't work out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to pursue your dream but you have to be realistic and know that sometimes the dreams take a while to happen and sometimes they don't ever happen and in either case you need a plan so that you will have a career to fall back on to support yourself.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Pro gaming - July 6th 2017, 09:01 PM

It is possible.

Few things you need to remember :

1) Once you do go pro, gaming becomes your job. And people tend to look differently at their jobs compared to their hobbies. We're talking playing hours on a daily basis on a quite strict schedule. It is possible to burn yourself out. Then again, if you're really passionate, I'll only cheer for you on the way.

2) It's not really a long-term job as a gamer, you have to keep that in mind. Average age range for players in, say, League of Legends is 18-25/6, since you need to be 18 yo to officially perform in highest class tournaments here in Europe, and people in their twenties are usually considered to be experienced, mid-twenties are usually veterans with hundreds of tournaments and events under their belt. With age you lose focus, mechanical skill and stress-resistance as well.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Pro gaming - July 9th 2017, 12:00 AM

Is there a particular game you're interested in or is it more of a general ''want to play video games"? Because as the person above me said, you need to have a real passion for the game (or, theoretically, games) that you want to go pro in. If you don't absolutely love the game then you will probably find it difficult to put in the time and effort you need to make it to a highly competitive level.

And, also as the poster above me said, it's highly unlikely that you will be able to play a particular game or games for a lifelong career. However there are ways you can still be involved without actually playing competitively, such as being a caster or an analyst or something along those lines. Even then, that kind of career doesn't have the same kind of longevity as some of the more ''traditional'' careers so it's probably a good idea to be thinking about or actively working towards another career. Depending on your situation it could be possible for you to, say, simultaneously be studying and playing competitively. That way when you do retire from the gaming scene, you have something to fall back on.

As for what to do now: just go for it. You don't really have anything to lose by giving it a shot. Depending on the game you have in mind, a good first step is probably to find a team to join so that you have people you can train and play with. Then as a team you can start looking into doing tourneys as well as making a name for yourself in ranked games. The more you play, the more you progress.

In terms of your mother, what support do you need from her at the moment? It's understandable that she wouldn't be supportive of this dream, but she may be more receptive to it if you show her that you're also planning on doing something else, such as studying. I would recommend talking to her and coming to some kind of a compromise if at all possible. Invite her to ask questions so you can have a proper discussion and show her that this is something you're serious about, and that you've thought it through.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread