TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 14th 2017, 02:45 PM

So school is coming back and volunteer hours for either entry into programs, for high school or just volunteering in general.

What volunteer opportunities have you done or currently doing/have done?

Did you like your volunteer work?

Why do you volunteer?

If you want to volunteer where would you want to volunteer?

Currently, I am ironing out a volunteer position for a charity fundraiser that is a fashion show which all donations go to my local Children's hospital. I need 100 volunteer hours for entry into a program for the winter called, Event Management.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 14th 2017, 05:37 PM

Personally, I did more than the required amount of volunteer hours during school. I found something that I enjoyed, which was coaching soccer. Teaching preteens about the joys of soccer and why I live and breathe it was such an amazing feeling. I had some of the girls on facebook, and they all recently graduated from high school.

I loved it.

If I had spare time I would definitely coach another season.

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 14th 2017, 07:22 PM

I've been volunteering since January. I volunteer for a charity in the UK which helps people who are hearing impaired, visually impaired, or both. I visit with an elderly member once a week at his home and we usually end up chatting for an hour and a half about things he's gotten up to in his life! But I also feed back any of his concerns to the people at the charity, and so I help him with getting the equipment he needs to make his life a lot easier.

I personally adore my volunteering. It was a huge step for me because of how anxious I get around people, but since I started it's helped both him and myself to feel better about life. Luckily we get on really well and I love hearing feedback that I'm helping to break down the four walls of his house by visiting once a week.

I started because I want to be a counsellor, but in order to do most courses you need experience in a helping role. Befriending is something they always suggest, so I thought I'd push myself to give it a go. I also wanted to volunteer because I knew I had some barriers I needed to overcome too, and pushing myself to step outside of my comfort zone was something I had to try, so I'm really glad I did that in the end.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 14th 2017, 09:33 PM

It's my first time volunteering (out of free will, I was forced to volunteer by my teacher in high school as a "mentor" and that went down the drain)and I'm volunteering in a domestic violence shelter on the support phone line. I do like it, although sometimes I get nasty (as in rude or troubling) calls and the paperwork can be exhaustive.
Volunteering there is very personal to me. Not only is it so I can look at the field I'm gonna get into in a year, but it's also supporting people who have gone through similar things that I have.
I also want to volunteer at the rape counseling center in the city but doing so much would result in vicarious trauma and I don't want that to happen yet even though it's already starting to take effect. I'd also love to volunteer at the LGBT+ support center.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 14th 2017, 10:58 PM

I've been volunteering for three years (October will be exactly three years). I started volunteering because my old therapist encouraged it and said she thought it would help with my social skill etc. I wasn't certain but gave it a try. Some volunteer positions have worked out well for me and some have not.

I have done a few different volunteer things: Volunteered at a thrift shop, volunteered at the Ronald Mcdonald house, the library and I facilitate small groups for kids 4-18 who have lost someone. I have stayed with the death group the longest and enjoy it the most.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 14th 2017, 11:15 PM

I volunteered for about eight month at a place back in 2012. At first, it was to gain some experience while I was taking classes relating to that field of work. But then I had to leave when I was hired at a retail place which I think, looking back now, was the worst mistake ever. The director of the program keeps asking if I would like to come back, but I work (at a different place) now.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 15th 2017, 05:42 AM

I currently volunteer for BBBS, our local animal shelter, my church and the library doing a reading group and something similar to tutoring. I've been volunteering with the animal shelter for almost 4 and BBBS for 5 years and I love it. I used to volunteer with special Olympics through my high school (for four years) and I loved it and am planning on starting again.

I had to have volunteer hours throughout school and my parents rule is that either we do an hour of volunteer work a week or we get a job. However, I love volunteering and would do more if I had the time.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 15th 2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretatsyRemedial View Post
So school is coming back and volunteer hours for either entry into programs, for high school or just volunteering in general.

What volunteer opportunities have you done or currently doing/have done?

Did you like your volunteer work?

Why do you volunteer?

If you want to volunteer where would you want to volunteer?

I love volunteering and if I had enough income to support myself I would spend time volunteering.

I've held various volunteer positions at various places (shoutout to when i was a chat mente on TH, i really enjoyed that one) . I can list them but that would take too long. I did things from office work to teacher assistant to being a chapter leader for a healthy cooking workshops at a local children's hospital. I enjoy reading to kids and there's one I've organization that I've been wanting to go back to but hadn't been able to because of schedule conflicts. One volunteer thing I wanted to do is become a mentor to a kid like at one of those big sister little sister programs. Another thing is to go back to the grief camp I was a camper at and be a volunteer buddy there. I would also want to do volunteer work at a children'a hospital but more as an emotional support person than a medical support. So like doing activities with them. I would also want to volunteer at a Doula clinic. I like working one to one or small grpups of people. Big classroom style places overwhelm me. I actually signed up to volunteer at a specific charter school that I learned their philosophy and it resonates with me. I am waiting to hear back.

And of course if anyone heard of WWOOF. It used to be way cheaper for membership but basically there's a database of farms you can volunteer at and in return you get a place to stay and people do it as a way to explore but also help put a local farmer and build a relationship with a farm family. It is worldwide and I've wanted to do it for a few years now. But you do technically need some money for this depending where you go. Like you would need a way to get there and back and you'd need living expenses like if you want to explore a nearby town or if you have dietary restrictions etc. It is like living with a host family pretty much.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 16th 2017, 12:07 AM

I've done different volunteer opportunities. I volunteered for the Collegiate Health Service Corps a few times which was good for getting public health experience and helping people. I volunteered once with my local health department a few years ago which was really helpful because it helped me get my current internship there. My school does a big volunteering event where we go and help the community and I've done that. If donating blood counts I did that once. In high school I volunteered with my city's family resource center playing with the kids and I also helped with a garden club for kids. I am currently a peer educator for my school where I educate the students about sexual/dating violence and try to help prevent it. I've done different walks and tabling events with different clubs. I also have been a facilitator for a teen event before. In my sophomore (I think) year of college I also volunteered in a kindergarten classroom. It started out as for college credit for a class, but I liked it so I stayed past my required hours!

I have liked most of my volunteer work, especially the things that connect to public health in some way. I like knowing I am providing people with a resource, helping them, or educating them, and it also gives me more experience working with populations that need it and looks good on my resume. Which also all of that is kind of why I volunteer.

I'd love to volunteer at the American Heart Association, the American Cancer Society, or Planned Parenthood. Or work there.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 16th 2017, 03:16 AM

I suppose I technically volunteer for BBBS, but I suck at it. I never even see that kid.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Malcharion Offline
Here's to the fools who dream
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 16th 2017, 08:41 PM

I'm planning on TA'ing at my Chinese Language School. I hate the place, but I feel that this particular opportunity will be very helpful in improving my speaking and organizational skills.
I might also start an art thing for 5th graders in my district, so that they can have more experience with art beyond the once a week art class. I don't know how impactful or popular something like that would be, but it's something I definitely would have appreciated having at that age.

What news from the West, O wandering wind, do you
bring to me tonight?
Have you seen Boromir the Tall by moon or by starlight?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 17th 2017, 08:00 PM

I've done the usual playing games with kids things that most schools usually do. Our school also used to sometimes help at a mental hospital, which was always very difficult for me emotionally. I organized a soccer tournament for an underprivileged school last year. We got sponsors, prizes, balls, etc. I work for a tutoring programme that helps kids in poorer parts of my city with Maths and Science. I hope to start helping at legal advice clinics soon while I'm doing my law degree.

I'm a very privileged person. It is my duty to use that privilege to uplift those in need. Volunteering my time is one way of doing that.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 17th 2017, 11:36 PM

My main volunteering position has been here on TH, but I've done some others in the past few years. I volunteered at an animal shelter for a while, sometimes I help out at athletics (track and field) carnivals as an official, and most recently I was with the Riding for the Disabled Association, which I absolutely adored but unfortunately had to stop when I moved away. I would still be doing volunteering now as it's something I really enjoy and find rewarding, but now that I'm in a small town there just aren't many opportunities around. I hope to move closer to the city in the next couple of years, and when I do I will definitely be looking into options because I miss being able to make a difference like that.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 18th 2017, 07:29 PM

I mostly volunteer here on TeenHelp and with a similar UK based organisation, doing similar things like I do on here. I really enjoy volunteering. I feel like it gives me a purpose but also that I enjoy helping others in general. I would quite like to volunteer at a dog shelter (just a shame there isn't one around here!) I would love to carry on volunteering here for the rest of my life

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 21st 2017, 01:20 PM

Its funny that I'm finally replying to this today, the weekend of one of my main volunteer events.

Every summer I volunteer at the first aid tent as a EMT at a music festival. I've done it a few years when I wasn't a EMT, this is my 9th year doing it. Its pretty much the highlight of my summer, between the actual festival, and the people.

I'm also a volunteer firefighter/EMT. Been involved with my local volunteer fire department since I was 16, started by just being a extra pair of hands on scenes. Then became a interior firefighter and EMT. Had to take a few years off for health reasons, but stayed involved with some training and the meetings. And now I've returned as just a EMT.

Being a firefighter/EMT is just very rewarding, and I love it. Which is why I've stuck with it for so long.

I've been wanting to volunteer for my local animal shelter, but a lot of things have been getting in the way of that.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Do you volunteer and why do you? - July 21st 2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
I've been wanting to volunteer for my local animal shelter, but a lot of things have been getting in the way of that.
I want to volunteer at my animal shelter, too, but I had to wait to be 18 and then I thought it would be too sad for me. I'd probably want to bring home a new cat each time I went there. But I may end up giving it a try sometime.

I volunteered at a nature center by my old house. The work entailed taking care of animals such as tortoises, aquatic turtles, snakes, salamanders, and other animals. I also helped run childrens' events at the nature center like Fall and Winter parties. We did a Halloween event and I ran some tables, and then we did a Holiday event and the kids made decorations for their homes. I wanted to keep going, but I had to move.

I also volunteered with children with autism and I enjoyed my work there but unfortunately had to leave that as well. I volunteered at a library and did a lot of work with their computers and printers and that sort of thing.

After I get set up with school I want to volunteer somewhere around here. There is a state park I've been thinking about, and then there are also veterans homes where I could choose certain days of the week and help make meals as well as clean the kitchen and dining areas but it'll be a few months at least and if I am too overwhelmed I'll have to wait.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread