TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Undeleted4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Why can't I find a job - August 3rd 2017, 05:20 AM

Hello. I've been trying to find a job with no success and I want know why I can't find a place to work. I am a young, able bodied man With a strong work ethic. I'm not asking for a high quality job, but something like tim hortons or a grocery store would be great. I want to work. Please help me find a job. Idk what else or who else to turn to. Please reply or send me a pm

Regards Ryan.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 3rd 2017, 11:23 AM

Hey Ryan,

Often employers will look for candidates who meet the requirements for a job, whether that's qualifications and/or experience. These things need to impress your potential employers in the form of a CV and/or a job application and an interview, if you get selected.

Keeping these things in mind, it's worth looking for jobs and specifically at the requirements. Working in a shop, do you need any qualifications in maths? Do you meet the criteria, and if not, can you find ways of meeting the criteria? As for experience, if you don't have any experience working in a shop or with customers, then you may want to think about voluntary work. Charity shops are usually looking for volunteers, so you may want to try them. Volunteering, while it's unpaid, does give you a lot of experience and skills that you can use when applying for jobs in retail, making you more employable.

To showcase these things, it's good to put together a CV that shows relevant and up to date achievements and work experience. You'll also need to perform well at any interviews you are offered.

Have you been able to find out why you have been previously rejected? That can also help when figuring out what you need to improve on.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time finding a job. It can be a very stressful thing to go through. Are you in education at the moment? If so, you could talk to a careers advisor for help. Otherwise, you can try looking in your area or online for similar services.

Hope you can get a job soon

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 4th 2017, 02:52 AM

Hey Ryan,

When I was 16, I applied to dozens of places and even went into the stores to turn in my resume. I never got any interviews or call backs, and I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't have any experience. It is silly, since you don't really need a past work background just to cashier, but unfortunately they will hire someone with experience over someone without. If you're having trouble, I recommend doing some volunteer work. It's unpaid, but it's something to put on your resume and can help you to stand out. My other piece of advice is to reach out to any friends or people you know who are working. I got my very first job due to a friend putting in a good word for me. Additionally, I'm not sure how you're applying for jobs, but I definitely recommend taking the time to write a cover letter as well. I have a base one that I tweak depending on the company, and taking that extra step has helped me get more interviews as well.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 4th 2017, 03:07 AM

Like Nicole and Holly said, making a resume will increase your chances of getting an interview. Another thing to keep in mind, call these people back about your application. Many times employers get so many applications they don't have the time to go through them so if you call and give them your name they're more likely to pull your application (trust me, I'm a shift leader at Hardee's so I see what goes into the process of hiring someone). Don't just call them once though! Call once or day or every other day because this will show ambition and willingness to work. Also if it's a possibility, go in person to check on your application because they might end up giving you an interview on the spot! (Depends on a variety of things for this to happen such as how busy they are, how many people are on the clock, etc but it does happen!)
Best of luck!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
kaihousely Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 5th 2017, 02:19 PM

What do you mean you can't find a job? Do you find something that appeals to you, but you never get job interviews? Or you never receive an offer after an interview? Or you simply can't find anything suitable? I think I would be able to give you some advice if you explain your problem a bit more detailed

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Walterhurley56 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 7th 2017, 08:54 AM

Maybe there is a problem with your resume... Is it good enough? You should try some extra help from friends (who have the job already) or use special services [Edited] which have a qualification. I think you will find the job after reviewing your CV. Wish you to find your dream job in the nearest time!

Last edited by Celyn; August 7th 2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Please don't post links leading users off site.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 7th 2017, 09:22 AM

Beggers can't be choosers and any job is better than no job. It's also easier to get one once you have one. Sometimes the only thing you can really do is keep looking until someone is willing to take a chance on you.

If they're available, try new places that are just opening or established businesses opening new locations. A lot of times they're desperate for people so they can get up and running and more likely to consider people with little or no experience. They would probably be temporary, but would get you at least a little experience.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Undeleted4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 8th 2017, 06:52 AM

Fuck this life

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Chevyguy350 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why can't I find a job - August 12th 2017, 08:30 PM

Well I'm gonna say a few things and perhaps some won't agree but as an offshore chef, I've never even made a resume or cv. I got my first job through the urban league selling alcohol at a baseball stadium. A few months later i took another job at the football stadium working concessions. From there i went to McDonalds, mastered short order cooking at sonic and ended up a culinary professional in five years time. I never even stepped foot in a college or trade school. But for your first job, your experience certainly won't get you any attention. What will, however, is not a resume or cv, but persistance and confidence. If you want a job, i suggest going in person after applying and asking to speak to a hiring manager. Even if he's not in or available, give them your name. Do it every day. If he's not in, also ask when he will be. Go back then and if he's not available, wait and let them know that you're waiting whenever he is available. Even without experience, if you do that you'll show you determination and your work ethic. I've actually had a kid do just that before. I hired him over a guy with a culinary degree and decades of experience. The kid didn't know Jack about the culinary arts but he was a great employee, worked hard, and learned fast. I think any employer would hire you if you do that, in fact.

Th user since 2008.

Closed Thread