TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Question I have no idea why I feel this way... - August 26th 2017, 02:59 PM

I am struggling with something that I am unsure what to even call it but it is interfering with my studying, homework, reading, etc., and I am at a loss.

I am in a Marketing Foundations class online. I am very excited about the content and what I will be learning, the assignments and so fourth. The content isn't hard, the material isn't hard, understanding the concepts and terms isn't hard it is very straightforward.

I am a week behind and I am catching up, which I already sent an email to my professor and she is totally fine about it. I am almost finished that weeks and I already started on an assignment for this weeks.

I don't know what the problem is. I can't seem to focus for some reason, like, I take breaks and come back then nothing works for me, not even watching something online, going for a walk, eating something, then I come back to Marketing and it's the same feeling with all the other stuff. At that point I am pushing myself to do the work, but the work isn't hard, it's easy.

I don't think this is about motivation either because going for a walk feels the same, eating, taking a shower, watching something... it all feels the same.

Thursday, I did a lot, like a lot of work on Marketing. When I woke up yesterday, this feeling started to overpass me, it's like, bordem or something. But I don't feel bored.

Later tonight I am going to go to McDonalds settle down there with my work, eat something, drink coffee, and see if a change of space and scenary will actually make a difference. I am desperate to have this feeling leave me as it's just there all the time.

I feel like a sloth. I shouldn't feel like a sloth.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on what this is or how to have it not be there?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: I have no idea why I feel this way... - August 26th 2017, 04:50 PM

I have tried taking classes online and it was a big struggle. I have ADHD, so staying focused on the task is made more difficult than usual. I remember suddenly wanting to do all the work at once, and then not wanting to bother for days.

It's great you are finding ways to cope with the sluggishness. Perhaps you can speak with your peers and set up a time to do homework together? Like, do the assignments and your only distraction will be talking to your peers about the assignment. It doesn't matter if the coursework is easy, but maybe having others do it at the same time might help.

Unfortunately, online classes isn't for everyone. I wish you the best of luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: I have no idea why I feel this way... - August 26th 2017, 06:23 PM

Jenna gave some good insight.

It occurred to me when she said "unfortunately online courses isnt for everyone" that I don't do well in online courses either. And all the online courses I've taken in the past were out of pure interest, no obligation whatsoever. For instance I took some courses on how to be a better peer support worker. I love the topic and I found myself staring at a screen really hard. I did notice throughout my school and college years that I learn by writing things down using pen and paper. So even if I'm due to write an essay online, I would have my Google doc opened and I would have some loose paper or a notebook of sorts and integrate the hand writing with the typing and researching online. Sometimes I write less by hand but j always make it an option for me. Sometimes the computer itself is what's difficult about the learning environment. I also find myself when I am reading a pdf on my tablet I would take moments to process what I read. I would put my tablet faced down or away in my bag for a short time so I can be more in my thoughts. I don't know if there's some kind of scientific research to back this up or not but in my personal experience, processing informatiom
and generating, brainstorming and developing ideas should be done with pen and paper and researching, jotting ideas from research, and typing the essay after you have formulated thoughts can be done on the computer and typing is so convenient with the speed and neatness of it.
What would be an ideal learning/working environment for you?

But to clarify, what kinds of homework are you getting? Short response, essays, creative projects etc?
If you have the prompt or question online, maybe print it out or write it in a notebook and amy information you need to refer to and then try not having your computer there or it can be there but not used for that time and see if you can come up with an outline maybe?
If you need to use video or audio for reference or a longer document that you can't print out, then while you're away from the computer screen, think about exactly what you want to know, like a segment of the video you want to reach or the section of the file you want to look back to and then do that specific task.

That's how I would approach it. I even would do work at a park or garden this way and it got me through some tough writer block moments

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: I have no idea why I feel this way... - August 26th 2017, 09:27 PM

I prefer the online approach than classroom, which I am really happy the next 5 months it will be online. I do get sick of my laptop, which I have noticed. Sometimes, I lay down or sit with my text book to read it over, usually this does help me.

I think the other problem that I might have is, my work needs to be very detailed, so I feel I am somewhat the perfectionist on my work. For an example, for the one assignment I completed today we needed to submit to a discussion board and the other two students who posted theirs, well, lets just say, I had no idea what to write back to them. I submitted a page and half on my assignment. I did email the professor because I didn't know how to write back to them on theirs and I need to in order to gain full marks. It was that terrible and I went way and beyond with it and answered the questions indepth for my own.

With this me being a perfectionist I feel this is also causing some issues as it's taking me longer to complete something, but I want to ensure I add enough and all the terminology into my responses like I am suppose to.

Later tonight I will go to McDonalds, order dinner and just work on more things there, I might be able to focus differently, think differently, or observe Marketing stuff happening around me that I could possibly use. I am hoping this will also give me a new atmosphere.

It's also great because we do need to watch clips on something on ways others market themselves or readings for examples, which I do find very helpful.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: I have no idea why I feel this way... - August 27th 2017, 08:55 AM

Responding to other people's posts can be challenging. I do hear how the perfectionism can kick in and have you feeling a bit blank on how to get started. Perhaps you can start with asking these things?
Do I agree or disagree? (The answer can be ambiguous such as neither, both, sometimes agree/sometimes disagree etc )
What parts stand out to me most and why?
Were they trying to persuade and if so am I convinced? If so why?
Were they trying to inform? Do I understand all the words or do I need to look something up? Are they accurate in explaining? Am I confused about something or is something unclear?
Can I relate to this on a personal level? (I am not sure if you're allowed to share examples from personal life?)
Do they refer to something we learned in class? If so, can this be analyzed or interpreted differently? Or can it be expanded upon?
Are there articles on the web that relate to these concepts in the discussion? If so how can I incorporate them into my response?

It is nearly 4am so if u think about something more in the morning I will update but these are some questions. I understand the perfectionist thing. But it does sound like you're doing the best with what you have and that's all we can do. Other students were probably nervous about posting as well.
Are there more than 2 other students besides you? If there are more students and the deadline isn't too close, you can wait to see if others write responses that are more fitting for you to reply back to. Sometimes 2 students isn't enough. I remember I would wait so u have more options. But you also don't want to wait too long because then it might feel harder to make your own response without sounding too repetitive.

Closed Thread