TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

So I'm taking 22 units and - September 23rd 2017, 04:31 AM

My therapist suggested I should withdraw from some of them and take an extra year or semester (I can only do a year bc financial aid gives me for a year and not just for a semester) bc if I donít then Iíll be doing 30 units in the spring which is like impossible basically and if I donít want to repay more financial aid back later on then I have to take a minimum of 12 units for the next 3 semesters. Thing is to complete the 120 units and do this plan Iíll have 6 units extra and typically my school doesnít allow extra units to be taken. If I withdraw from both my online classes at city Iíll be able to do those 12 units for 3 semesters and itíll be easy and simple and good and straightforward.

Hereís the thing. Mother wants me to graduate like NOW. Like Iíve toyíd with the idea of taking a 5th year but mother is completely against it and was almost like ďI wonít fund your housing for another year if you take another yearĒ which is like bad bc I need that funding I canít get a job now (though work study looks promising even though Iíve never been able to find a job through work study)

So Idk what to do any advice would be nice.

hereís the math:

After fall semester (if I pass and all goes well): 90 units (30 shy of 120)
Currently taking: 22 units
If i withdraw from 2 online classes: 16 units
After fall semester if W (and pass n all that jazz): 84 units (36 shy of 120)
36 / 3 = 12
12 units for the spring, fall, and spring 2019. Not ideal, but still less stress and less crying and wanting to fucking kill myself.

(Let me know if I did my math wrong bc I literally had to take remedial math coming into college (thatís why Iím in this situation) bc iím not skilled in the arts of the maths)

Scholarships are out of the question: I have a 2.5 GPA and no scholarship likes that at all (also bringing that up in my 4th year is not likely gonna happen)

Help?

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: So I'm taking 22 units and - September 23rd 2017, 02:32 PM

If you are extremely stressed out to the point that it is increasing your depression and causing you to want to commit suicide ... then you should withdraw.

I have relatively severe mental health semesters and there were semesters where I got really depressed and stressed out. However, I was so adamant about finishing college and not being a 'failure' that I would stick it out. This led to me failing a few classes and it lowered my GPA and then there were times when I knew within the first three weeks that I couldn't handle everything but I stayed and had to take a W. Which, W's are so much better than a failing grade but if you take to many W's it can end up messing with financial aid due to taking too many units but not completing 50% of those units.

So, if you need to withdraw from some classes you should do so. I know it's a difficult choice but from experience ... forcing yourself to finish those classes despite the stress can end up leading to a lot of bigger issues. Once I stayed in school and ended up having to go to the psych hospital.

Even though you aren't feeling great about having to withdraw...it's possible that if you take this break and are feeling better after that you will be able to take on a bigger course load. Maybe you could try taking 18 units and finish in two semesters instead of three. But, in all honesty, finishing in 3 semesters really isn't a huge deal. You could also look into seeing if they offer any summer courses. My boyfriend has been in school since 2016 and he has only been taking 12 units as well as summer school and he will graduate in 2018 (he would have graduated this semester but there is a class he needs and it's only offered in fall).

Overall, your mental health is so much more important than you getting done with school as soon as possible.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread