TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Personal statement - November 23rd 2017, 08:30 PM

Hey,
So I just had my UCAS sent off (system used in the U.K. to apply to university) and I was feeling very anxious. I'm applying to law but I've had no law work experience whatsoever. My personal statement has nothing about the experience I've had linked to law. I've done volunteering and I've had some cool work experience and I've written about it. I also wrote about a essay I read that was related to law but I just feel like I'm not going to get accepted because I have no law work experience.
Is it possible that unis won't accept me because I don't have work experience in law?
Thanks

Keep calm and carry on.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Personal statement - November 23rd 2017, 10:38 PM

I guess it depends on what university you applied to, the entry requirements and how many other students applied for the course.

Some prestigious universities, like Oxford and Cambridge, may prefer you to have some work experience in law, if possible. And if the entry requirements for your law degree state that you need experience in a law firm, that could affect whether universities accept you, if you couldn't meet the requirement. And naturally, a lower number of applications may make it easier to get on to the course.

All that said though, since law firms are busy and often have highly confidential information, it would be difficult to get work experience in law, so I'm sure universities will understand this. And if it wasn't in the entry requirements, then it shouldn't affect the universities decision to accept you or not.

Best of luck

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Personal statement - November 24th 2017, 06:18 PM

That probably depends on whether you're applying for it as a postgrad degree or not. I'm currently doing an undergrad in law and needed no experience as an entrance requirement, but it could be different for the UK. However, I don't think so. Law is a new experience and it just seems unreasonable to expect someone who hasn't had any kind of training to undertake work in the field (also, who would hire someone with no training whatsoever). So, if you're applying for an entry-level law degree, probably not, but if it's something like a Masters then probably yes.

Best of luck with your application!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Personal statement - November 24th 2017, 10:19 PM

I think it depends on a number of things such as what the school is looking for in applicants and their specific requirements for the program. Do you have an advisor or someone you can talk to about this? Someone that helps people apply to programs might have a better idea of what you can expect.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Personal statement - November 29th 2017, 08:21 PM

Thanks for all your help

Keep calm and carry on.

Closed Thread