TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Exams-history and drama...bit of advice please - January 6th 2009, 03:15 PM

So i'm really stressing. To the point i feel sick permanently. I cant sleep as i toss and turn panicking all night. I cant focus. I'm close to tears. I've been revising so hard, but just dont seem able to do what i want. There retakes...i got a D in each unit that i'm retaking and need to pick it up to a C minimum.

History is the worst, its like i know the facts, but i cant apply them to the causal questions....like a question 'Why did Lenin bring in oppressive measures 1924-1929'....i know what measures happened, but cant think of much to put in as why.

Drama, is not so important for me, so not as worried. But its still stressing me as exams on thursday. Were given an extract of an unseen play, then have to do different things with it. I get stuck on drawing an annotated ground plan, and coming up with enough different lighting and sound effects for the piece which is around 2pages long. There have to be enough as your marked on it.

Anyway....please help, really stressing

(#2 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

January 6th 2009, 04:40 PM

Hey there,

First of all try and take a deep breath and focus. Deep breathing can be really helpful when you are feeling stressed out. Perhaps it would help you to try some relaxation exercises? I found this link here containing a couple for you:
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/relax.htm
There are loads of different websites about relaxation, so if those don't work for you then Google can help you out with some other ideas. Everyone is different so just experiment and find out what works for you.

When revising it's best to work in a clear and organised environment as mess can be chaotic and stressful to work in. It is surprising how tidying away the odd folder and bits of paper can help.

Before you go to sleep try having a relaxing bath. Try not to watch TV before you go to bed as this can stimulate your brain and help to keep you awake. It can also help to have the window open a little at night to get some air in and try a hot milky drink before you sleep maybe? Try to make sure you get into bed good and early.

Try to have a little faith in yourself. Instead of thinking "I can't do this", try to be positive. Tell yourself you can do it and you are going to give it your best shot.

It's good to take breaks between revising. Cramming will only stress you out. Try doing an hour and then stopping for a break, perhaps?

Keep your revision notes neat too. I studied history and it helped me to make little time lines and small bullet points. It is impossible to know every fact about History, trust me I have been there. Making notes out of my textbook helped me.

I did Drama for A Level so again, I understand what it is like. Lighting and mood are usually linked, so in a scene perhaps where it is passionate choose a red or if it is eerie or spooky a chilling blue colour or perhaps light shining upwards to create shadows. Sounds effects could be something as simple as a vital line being echoed. Try not to stress too much about it. See it as your vision and what you think it would look like on stage.

As I said before, try not to stress too much. You can only do your best. Have faith in yourself and be positive.

I hope this helps!

Take care,
Vicki

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

January 6th 2009, 08:30 PM

Ooh, hi! I can relate with the stressing. But here's a tip - don't.

And here's how:

Exercise! I love to exercise. It clears my mind up so incredibly much it's unbelivable. You need to get out and get moving. The human body wasn't meant to stagnate in front of a computer or at a desk all day, you know? Endorphins are released that make you feel good, too. (:

Organize your time/don't procrastinate - it will bring you only more stress...ergg (heh). Noooo need to freak out more! Take a nap right as you get home to recharge your brain. Tis what I do and it works well.

Make a schedule and stick to it! No matter what. You are the schedule and the schedule is you. (: You must be disciplined.

Go in to ask the teachers what you can do to best improve...what your exams will be on, etc.

And lastly...if you've exhausted all of your options and still can't figure out what's wrong, talk to a guidance counselor (at school) or a professional and they can put you on the right track for changes.

PM anytime and best of luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Exams-history and drama...bit of advice please - January 8th 2009, 03:49 PM

Completed my drama exam. It went surprisingly well. Well not the exam itself, but i didnt panick. Its the first exam i havent had a panick attack in, so that was a major relief.

Hoping history will go well, but that one is much more important for me.

Closed Thread