TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Should I tell them about my availability in an interview? - December 23rd 2017, 03:10 AM

Hi,

I am currently filling out at least one job application, probably more to come.

I am just wondering, if I go to an interview, should I be up front that my availability is going to change come August? I just wonder because August is months out, but I am going to grad school in August so I won't be able to work nights, and also want to not work Wednesdays and only nights on Fridays. Or is August too far out where it won't matter?

Thanks,
Dez

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Should I tell them about my availability in an interview? - December 24th 2017, 04:37 PM

You could, mention your availability, if you wanted. Or you could ask them what kind of availability they are looking for. This might be better if you are concerned about them not hiring you if you'll be less available with grad school.

Hope others can give you their opinions!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Should I tell them about my availability in an interview? - December 24th 2017, 05:36 PM

My availability until August is very open. It is more that it’s going to change come August.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Should I tell them about my availability in an interview? - December 25th 2017, 02:35 PM

Availability can be an important factor in regards to getting a job. If you have a more open schedule than someone and are just as qualified as them the interviewer might be more likely to hire you. Since August is close to 8 months away I don't feel that you need to talk to them about that, currently, if they ask you what your availability is and if it will change (they do ask that depending on the company) than you will want to be truthful.

If you get a job relatively soon and August is still 7-8 months away than you wouldn't have to disclose it, necessarily. If it takes you a while longer and your schedule will change in a shorter amount of time than it would be a good idea to let them know.

Also, if the companies you are applying for aren't known for accommodating schedules than it might be a good idea to let them know in advance so that they will know that they will have to work to accommodate you. If they are a company that doesn't have a hard time accommodating people than it wouldn't be a huge issue. I know people who were hired at places like Starbucks and their schedules/availability changed a few months after starting and they were able to be accommodated. I am not certain if they knew their schedule was going to change ahead of time though.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Should I tell them about my availability in an interview? - December 27th 2017, 08:11 PM

Since August is so far off, it isn't something that you need to go into great detail about. However, I would recommend letting them know that your availability will change come August. Some employers are very willing to work with less flexible schedules, others aren't. Disclosing that information ahead of time will help both you and your potential employer determine if the position will be a good fit down the line.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Should I tell them about my availability in an interview? - December 28th 2017, 04:31 PM

Even though August is months away, I think it would still be a good idea to mention that you will be beginning grad school then and that your availability will become limited. A lot of the companies should be accommodating, especially if you let them know seven months in advance.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

Closed Thread