TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

extremely stupid. - February 4th 2018, 03:56 AM

i think i am (literally) one of the dumbest people i even know. i am hardly making it through high school, the only reason im even passing my classes is homework assignments, i suck at test-taking (flunk a lot) and dont understand anything we take in school. the only reason im even passing is because i memorize stuff for quizzes and tests, not *learn* and *understand* them :/

chemistry is by far the most difficult class i am taking this year. i always copy off other peoples' assignments (like ill ask my friends if they'll let me see their answers for their chem worksheets, and ill copy the answers). note that i do NOT cheat on tests and quizzes, which is why i get poor grades on them. right now i have a C- in social studies, a B in spanish, a B- in chem, an A- in geometry, an A+ in music, and B- in language arts. I think my GPA is around 2.9, maybe a little less... its horrible

i just needed to rant.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: extremely stupid. - February 4th 2018, 05:43 PM

Hey there,

I don't think you are extremely stupid. It may seem that way because you might be struggling a bit more with school than your peers but, in my opinion, some people struggle because they learn differently and not because they are stupid. The grades you currently have, especially since you are struggling so much, are actually pretty good. You have a decent amount of A's and B's. I hope that you can try to acknowledge that while you might be struggling with school you are still trying your hardest and you are doing fairly well. Back when I struggled in school the thing that made the struggle even worse was talking down to myself. I would constantly tell myself how stupid I was instead of focusing on the hard work and effort I was putting in and it led to me losing hope and motivation. I hope that you will be able to focus on the things you are doing well in hopes that you won't feel as negatively about yourself.

As for your struggles with school, I am wondering if you have discussed these things with your teachers? I know there are a lot of teachers who are more than happy to help their students pass the classes and understand the content they are learning. Another thing you could look into is getting a tutor. My high school had a tutoring center where we would be paired with a student who had excelled at the subject we were struggling with. The tutoring was free and we would do it after school or during free periods. This might be something you could look into as well. If you are close to your parents you could consider asking them for help as well. Maybe they could provide you with a tutor or they might have knowledge about the subjects you are struggling with.

I am wishing you the best.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: extremely stupid. - February 4th 2018, 09:37 PM

I agree with the response above. While you may be struggling in some areas, you are doing well in others!

I find that some tests do rely more on memorising things, so even if you don't fully understand, it's okay. If you don't understand something, try breaking it down to a level that you do understand. Go back over previous work and see if that links in some how. And as it's been said, don't be afraid to ask teachers for help- after all, that is what they are there for and believe it or not, they do want you to do well!

Try and have a little more faith in yourself too. When you copy others homework, you learn less and feel that you have to keep on copying, which only reinforces your belief that you aren't good enough. Try and give things a go first, and remember that it's okay if you don't understand or do so well, as long as you are still trying. And you never know, you may surprise yourself by how well you can actually do! It's also okay to ask friends for help, and let them help you by going through things and how they reached their answers, but try to avoid them giving you the answers.

More than okay to just rant too, and hope that it helped a bit

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

Re: extremely stupid. - February 7th 2018, 02:36 AM

thanks guys. i am just very stressed because i go to a special admissions private academy, so i feel a lot of pressure to do well since the academics here are very challenging (they're supposed to be) and teachers are very strict with grading. it feels like if you are really struggling in a class the teachers will not be very happy with you. i understand that they care, but i feel ashamed to ask for help because at the parent teacher conferences, my language arts teacher (she teaches reading, writing, listening, reading comprehension,etc...) told my parents that although i am not doing terrible in the class, i was really struggling and was the student with the lowest score. she told my parents that i seemed to have a hard time understanding things compared to the rest of the pupils. this really embarrassed my parents and they came home quite upset & humiliated because of me.

also, i was talking to my friends about the chemistry exams -- i wanted to see if i was the only one struggling -- so i said "so how'd the chem test go for all of you?" and THEY ALL were like "i got a 93" "i got a 96" and two of them got an 89 , while i was here with a 71. borderline C- , almost a D :'''(

I was so ashamed, that i lied about my scores. i know this is really bad and i should not lie, but when they all said their scores i felt really bad about mine and then they were like "so how did you do Bri?" and i told them i got a 90....

Also in Spanish we had a test and the kids sitting next to me were looking at the papers the instructor handed back, and i peeked over at them (again, i really shouldnt be doing all this sneaky stuff, but i just really desperately wanna know if im the dumbest one or not...) and they all had decent A's and high B's, while i got a borderline B-. :/

ugh. im just so so frustrated, stressed, and depressed about all of this. maybe i should just drop out of high school altogether, im obviously not meant to be in school.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: extremely stupid. - February 7th 2018, 05:18 AM

Hey there,

Going to a school like that can be difficult because it can make you feel like you aren't smart enough. However, I don't think that is the case. When I was in high school I got really good grades but I had a lot of friend's who did so much better for a number of different reasons. There were times when I would let this impact the way I felt about myself but I was able to realize that I was still doing really well.

It sounds like your Language Arts teacher could have/should have handled the situation better. She should have given your parents options to help you get to a better place. I have noticed that there are some teachers who don't approach things the way they should though.

I don't think you should give up on high school but I think you should consider asking for help. If you have teachers that are hesitant to help you can talk to the principal or superintendent. I know that might be difficult but if you are worried about not passing it is the teachers responsibility to help you out.

I think finding ways to destress is important as well. I know it's probably not the first thought but when you are overly stressed it is going to impact your schooling. I also hope that you can talk to your parents and get the extra help necessary.

In regards to the Language Arts class, I love to read and I comprehend things well but I HATE having to do a lot of the things required in those classes. In the past I have had difficulties with Language Arts because I didn't 'get' things. People are always surprised to hear that English is my least favorite subject in school.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: extremely stupid. - February 8th 2018, 08:09 PM

I agree that your language arts teacher could've handled things a bit better at the parent teacher conference. I understand that you feel your parents were upset and humiliated because of you, but maybe they felt concerned for you and not because of you? Understandably, your parents will want you to do well so news that you are struggling may be difficult for them to handle, but it doesn't mean that they are humiliated by you.

I also notice that you compare yourself to others. It can be very tempting, especially with exam results, to ask others what they had. But if it makes you feel bad, is there much point to it? Perhaps try focusing on you own results and see if you can improve over time, rather than comparing your results to your friends and classmates.

I understand that having a hard time at school may make you feel like dropping out or that you just don't belong. But try sticking with it and asking for help from teachers (even if they are strict, they should try to help you at least!) If things don't work out, you could always look into other options- different schools, different classes, rather than dropping out entirely.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Connor_D Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Talking Re: extremely stupid. - February 20th 2018, 03:31 PM

You are not stupid! It's ok not to know everything. You know, that some greatest people in history and modern media personalities had problems with different subjects? Read this article https://flashessay.com/blog/great-in...gled-with-math It helped me to understand, that I am not perfect and it's totally OK.

Closed Thread