TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Choosing a profession - computer gaming - February 26th 2018, 03:17 PM

Dear Teen Helpers,
I'm slowly coming to the point where I have to choose my future profession. I've always wanted to do something connected with computer games. The problem is: all my interests are very humanistic (history, languages, literature, politics etc.) PLUS - well - computers. That's why I can't be a programmer (studying practically anything that has to do with maths is not an option). I don't think I possess skills necessary to be a graphic designer or an illustrator either. I know game creators' teams consist of many other people as well, though.

Here comes my question. Do any other professions connected with gaming come to your mind? I'd be extremely grateful for some examples of specific professions or some study subjects. I'd appreciate it if anyone knows a person who works in this field and whom I can contact. It would be great if you could share basically anything you know - I need something to base my future research on.

Thank you so much,
Sue

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Choosing a profession - computer gaming - February 27th 2018, 01:09 PM

Within the realm of computer games, I can think of computer games tester and story developer. I don't think there are many requirements for a tester (depending on where you are) but it's good to have a keen eye and be analytical. As for computer/video game story developer, I think that would fit in nicely with your interests.

Outside, but still connected to computer games, perhaps something along the lines of advertising or reviewing games (may require studying things along the lines of journalism and media). Alternatively, since you are interested in languages, then if you are fluent enough in another language, you could always go down translating or testing translations.

Hope others can help you out too

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Choosing a profession - computer gaming - February 27th 2018, 06:45 PM

Hey there,

I had to ask my boyfriend about this because I am not all that big into computer games. He said there are a ton of different things a person could get into because just like when making movies there are a ton of different things required to make a game.

He mentioned quality control testing, sound and marketing/advertising. I know he has online acquaintances who have done sound for movies but not games. He was able to find them on a home theater forum. However, I do not remember the name of it and I cannot link to competitor sites. It might help to google and see if you can find something that is specific to video games. We do have a gaming forum you might be able to get advice on as well.

I am sorry I can't provide more specifics as my boyfriend does a lot of gaming but he isn't involved in helping to develop games. He has a ton of knowledge on IT ... and it's possible that some of the gaming developers might have an IT department as well but I cannot guarantee it.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread