TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Job interview tips - March 7th 2018, 01:02 AM

I have a job interview on the 14th for a health aide position. While I wouldn't be directly IN the health department, this is a position for the health department. I would be working in the schools, however. So, this is a VERY important position for me as while it isn't exactly what I want to do in the long run, it is a HUGE foot in the door.

Can anyone give me any tips for the interview? Just general things to say and do, or anything else they may find helpful? Or how not to be nervous.

I'm planning on bringing five extra copies of my resume. Should I bring five extra copies of my reference list as well? Should I offer these to everyone when I walk in or should I wait?

Should I bring anything else?

Obviously I'll be dressing professionally.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Job interview tips - March 7th 2018, 01:26 AM

Read through the job specifications and Taylor answer based on that. If the job requires customer service discuss that a bit. You can use volunteer work too. For example, of you've done volunteer work where you work with people discuss that and come up with things that made the experience great and things that you could have done better.

If you are aware of the specifications it can help you to better answer the questions because from volunteer work and any work you've had you probably can give answer.

I suggest having a closing statement. Letting them know what you can bring to the table such as dedication punctuality and am ability to learn and a desire to Excel at the positions.

It's also good to ask a question pertaining to the job. The less generic the better. So, maybe something like what do you want a new hire to bring to thebtabke/what do you look for in a new hire.

Try and discuss your ability to work as a team and independently of the job requires it.

Most importantly don't over stress being slightly nervous is common but of you overly stress it might cause you to second guess your answer.

You've got this and you are more than qualified for the job.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Job interview tips - March 7th 2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
It's also good to ask a question pertaining to the job. The less generic the better. So, maybe something like what do you want a new hire to bring to thebtabke/what do you look for in a new hire.
Would asking what type of training opportunities be good? For example, one of the specifications said I'd be assisting withs screenings with supervision and also would be able to make decisions with ill or injured kids in the absence of a nurse.

What about if this job has opportunities for additional education/advancement?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Job interview tips - March 7th 2018, 01:39 AM

The only way I figured out to try not to be nervous was to pretend that the job isn't as big a deal as you know it is. Go in thinking that it would be great if you got it, but it would also be okay if you don't. Everyone interviewing wants the job, but you'll be less nervous if you can imagine not getting it and being okay.

If they ask for strengths and weaknesses, use little things and include how you've improved them or how they don't hold you back from getting your job done.

Research them and look for words that come up a lot either on their materials or in their professional philosophy and whatever because your interviewer might use them. Use a few if you want, but don't overdo it, and if they ask why you want to work for them and future plans, you can say that you're interested in XYZ about this particular position and hope to eventually do whatever different kind of job. Only use specific things you like about the company if it feels like it makes sense.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Job interview tips - March 7th 2018, 09:45 AM

Hey there!
So there are quite a few things you can do. Firstly to be confident, know your CV and Cover letter really well. Like if someone asks "walk me through your CV" you can answer whats on it really quick. Same with the cover letter.
Ask them questions. An interview is a two-way street. You could ask stuff like "what does success in this role look like" or something. Do not ask about holiday plans. Remember, if you can get the answer through Google, and you should have googled the heck out of the firm, don't ask it
I wouldn't carry 5 copies. Carry 1 or two, in a briefcase kind of thing. If the interviewer asks, go for it. Don't really offer it yourself, they have seen it. If you have a briefcase, feel free to carry 5 copies tho. I don't think a reference list is necesary. Chances are they have seen it, but maybe carry a copy or two just in case.

Other stuff, is firstly, breathe. Remember, they are human beings. You want to put your best foot forward so breathe. Think before answering. Its fine to say, "Could you repeat that?" or "Just so I'm clear.....". You also would want to show up 5-15 minutes early. Any more, isn't a good idea. Do not be late, unless something crazy happens (traffic doesn't count). A great idea is to show up an hour early, and hang at a coffee shop.

Hope this helps
best of luck and let me know if you need further help

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread