TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Transferring? - March 16th 2018, 05:08 PM

So I work in an opticians in retail and I've been at my job for nearly 2 years and generally it's a decent job. It pays minimum wage so it's not great in terms of money but it'll do for now. Recently we got a new manager and he seems ok but there's something I'm not keen on. Anyway..ive been toying with getting a transfer for a while. It's two trains to work for me and costs me 6 + a day in travel. I work every Sunday and the trains are usually cancelled on Sundays meaning I have to get a bus part or all the way which takes 2-2.5 hours each way. I've been doing tis journey since August.

I'm constantly tired and despite getting enough sleep i always feel like I need more. I only work four days a week buy since the new manager has started and I suppose before that in some ways, the amount of work is getting ridiculous. I'm running back and forth across the shop...selling glasses..booking appointments..dealing with complaints and being shouted at..as well as health screening and diary management. It's fine..but there's always something more that we could be doing. As a team we seem to never do enough despite most days not stopping other than for lunch. I'm exhausted and so is everyone I've spoken to at work.

I like most of the people there and get on really well with them. I have a place there and get appreciation for a good job by a lot of them which is something I never had in my last job. I feel mostly comfortable and considering how anxious I get that's an achievement. But at the moment the new manager is changing things and I'm getting more tired and irritable and people are starting to notice. Sunday's are going to me just me and a manager and we get so busy I don't know how I can physically split myself into enough prices to cope. It's making the transfer look like a good idea but I have issues still.

1. How do I bring up the option of transferring with my manager?
2. Should I even do It? I'd have to settle in with new people again and that is really scary for me.

Any advice would be useful. I just need a bit of logic from people who don't hear me complain every day after work. Thank you.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Transferring? - March 18th 2018, 05:30 PM

Sorry to hear your job isn't what you hoped it to be, Hollie. I know if our job is draining us and stressing us out it can be hard to cope. I do have a few things that you could think about.

You have been at your current job for two years and everyone notices you are working hard. Do you think it's time to ask for a raise? You deserve a raise after being their two years and handling a lot of different things.

Your new manager, are the changes going to be positive in what he is doing? Do you have any ideas to make the store run effectively? I would also think about if the new manager welcomes ideas for the store. Some managers may feel by suggesting ideas they may feel they aren't doing their job, but you have been at the store for two years so you have seen first hand how things are. It all depends if he welcomes ideas and is open minded.

Working on a Sunday seems a challenge for you due to lack of transportation that comes in a timely manor. Are you able to switch the Sunday for another day? You might need to compromise and offer to work an extra day. That is if you are wanting to stay at the store.

If you know a store that is close to you, go in and see how they run things. Go in as a customer just looking around. You can get a feel of how the atmosphere is and the employees there are like. You can also see how the store is set up. It can help to know if that store is where you would like to transfer to. You can also see if there's any online reviews on that store to see what customers say about their experience.

If you decide to transfer to a store that is closer you can bring the topic up to your manager. You can explain that you would like to be closer to home and if you have other activties you do (like school or volunteer) highlight those things because you also do those things.

Before asking a transfer, weigh all your options. Would you like a raise? Would you like to offer any advise for the store to the manager? Asking for someone to work Sunday and offer to work an extra day so it can work with the schedule. Would you be comfortable going to another store to see how they run and how it feels? I would also think of why you want to transfer and how it could benefit you and to the other store.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Let us know how things are going or to talk through anything else. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread