TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Female in a male-dominated class? - July 22nd 2018, 01:35 PM

Iím 17 and Iíll be turning 18 this year. Right now, Iím studying youth work and Iím almost finished this course. Itíll be completed by the end of this year. Iíve been thinking that next year, Iíd like to work in a residential home but Iím not sure yet. Iím also thinking, however, that Iíd like to go back to school and study a completely different course as well. And this is what my questionís about, I donít need help with the youth work thing. That was just for background info lol.

So what Iím thinking about doing next year is an automotive mechanic course at trade school because Iíve just been interested in it for a while now and it looks like a lot of fun. But Iím really nervous though because Iíve only ever seen guys at the school. Theyíve all been teenagers or young adults. Iím worried because I used to get bullied in high school for being a lesbian and for dressing ďlike a guy.Ē Because these are all guys around the same age Iím worried it will happen again? And I donít want them to think I canít do it just because Iím a girl. I used to take woodworking in high school and it was a class of 25 kids; 20 boys and 5 girls. The girls did sometimes used to get some sexist remarks and I used to hate how they made general statements like, ďThis isnít a womanís job,Ē because if I failed I always felt like Iíd let my entire gender down

Am I overreacting? Is anyone here a woman in a male-dominated class/profession and is it really so bad? Iím just feeling a little discouraged already...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Female in a male-dominated class? - July 22nd 2018, 09:16 PM

I like the fact that you want to take an automotive mechanic course because you are interested in it!

I think it's understandable that you would be concerned about bullying, not only because of your past, but also because it is a male dominated class and unfortunately that can sometimes result in issues with sexism.

I've not been in your situation, but I'd like to think that the fact you are female shouldn't be too much of an issue. There is a movement in STEM subjects to get more females into such classes that are often male dominated. If there were any issues with sexist comments, it's definitely best to tell the teacher.

Hope others can provide a more personal insight!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
smithc Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Female in a male-dominated class? - August 2nd 2018, 10:07 AM

This problem appersnot only in school but also at work. At my previous job it was the same and I have many gender problems. But I must say that it depends on people, because now I'm writer at [Edited], the one women in my team but I'm happy to work with all this guys they are really good people.

Last edited by Celyn; August 3rd 2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Please don't post links to lead users off-site :)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Female in a male-dominated class? - August 3rd 2018, 12:51 AM

Hm... I think becoming an automotive mechanic would be great. It's definitely something where more women are needed. There are bad seeds everywhere, so to claim that there definitely won't be bullies who'll use your womanhood as the basis for their actions would be disingenuous. There might not be, but there might be. I was also bullied in high school so I totally get the fear though; I think what helped me was that as time went on, I got more and more to the point where I was like "fuck this, I am going to be me" I use to be afraid to wear anything other than t-shirts and jeans because I thought if I wore the things I admired online, I wouldn't get positive comments, just negative judgement. I feel like confidence helps; it doesn't stop assholes, but you'll be in a better position not to let them take you down.

Don't let fear of being bullied hold you back! That's definitely crucial here. You have your whole life ahead of you and you'll be doing something you'll enjoy.

Closed Thread