TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Got an interview, donít want the job - July 25th 2018, 03:00 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I graduated high school at the end of last year and Iím 17 years old. Since then, Iíve been studying youth work and some other short courses related to that (first aid and CPR, responding to domestic violence). I used to volunteer at an animal shelter, right up until last month. I wanted to look for paid work so I started applying for jobs I thought Iíd like but I never got a call back. Eventually, my dad told me not to worry about looking for work too much because if I didnít get a job I wanted by the end of the year, I could start work at my auntís restaurant.

My mom didnít really like that plan though and she started making me apply for all sorts of jobs, even though I wasnít interested in them. But she told me I probably wouldnít get a call back and to just apply anyway. Well, I did get a call back and now I have an interview tomorrow. I cannot stress this enough, I really donít want to go. But my mom is making me go to it. I honestly hope I fail. I just donít think itíll be a good job for me at all. Mainly because my social anxiety is so bad that I canít even talk to cashiers half the time and the job I might be getting involves a lot of talking?? Oh my god, I am freaking out. I donít know what to do because I bet I get the job. Thatís just my luck. Iím thinking about intentionally screwing it up, like I could just say ďI donít knowĒ to the questions but Iíd feel shitty about that afterwards... Iím sort of hoping that when I go in there, my social anxiety will be off the charts and heíll see how nervous I am and wonít give me the job...

What do I do? Not going isnít an option. Unless like, I got sick or something but even if I threw up, Iím pretty sure Iíd still have to go lol. Iím just panicking and I know it sounds so dramatic but I honestly feel like I want to start cutting again because I feel like Iím just not going to be good enough. I have trouble with changes in routine too and weíd already had it decided that I would work for my aunt so thatís what I was used to. I only applied for this job because my mom was getting mad at me and I wanted her to be happy.

What am I supposed to do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Got an interview, donít want the job - July 25th 2018, 06:38 PM

I think this would be an excellent opportunity to practice your interview skills! Don't go in there hoping to fail, go in there hoping you get the job. Blow them out of the water! And if you stumble or get nervous, there is no pressure, because you don't want the job anyways. I think this would be perfect to prepare for the job you really want. If they do offer the job, just politely decline and let them know you decided to go with another position. And when you get an interview for a job you are interested in, you will already have some interview experience and know how to plan accordingly. One can never practice their interview skills too much.

I think your plan off hoping to fail and mess it up will only waste your time and the interviewer's. And who knows, what if you run into this person again and now you made an awful impression. It's never good to waste an opportunity.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Got an interview, donít want the job - July 26th 2018, 03:58 AM

Lizzie is right. You can go to the interview and use it as practice. Back when I was looking for a job I had a therapist suggest I apply to whatever jobs I wanted so that I could practice interviewing. When you interview for a job you don't have to take it. People who hire tend to know that a job offer doesn't mean the person will take it. I think you can gain a lot from going on interviews and doing your best even if you don't accept. I've known people who have done the same thing and used the interview as a way to practice and build their interviewing skills. The more practice and knowledge you have about interviews the better you can prepare and learn for interviews where you do want the job.

For example, some of the questions they ask on this interview might be questions you'll be asked on future ones. You can take those questions and try and tailor them to your experience and to future jobs. While you can never prepare for an interview 100% you can learn a lot from every interview you go on.

So, I say that it would be a really good idea to go on the interview, do your best and not feel any pressure to take it. If they offer you the job you can say something like "I want to thank you for this opportunity but I was offered another position." They are unlikely to give you a hard time if you don't accept and you don't have to tell your family you didn't accept either.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread