TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - May 29th 2009, 08:56 PM

After three years of considering it, I have decided that i'm going head straight to college instead of doing my senior year of high school. So with this decision, i'm looking for some opinions/advice about how to do well in college and what I should expect. I've taken some AP classes, but we all know that those aren't really accurate representations of what college is actually like.
To give just some quick background: I'm taking the California High School Proficiency etc. etc. exam, which therefore means that, despite my qualms about community colleges, I have to do two years at a community college and then transfer to a four year university, and then it's off to med school. Besides the general ed, what classes do you think are good/rewarding/fun to take? What about clubs and such? How do I not be a loser? What's the best ways to manage my time well?

Any other random advice/pointers is very appreciated. I'm trying to prepare myself as best I can.

You gotta spend some time love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your heart

(#2 (permalink)) Old
darlingllnikki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - May 30th 2009, 02:48 PM

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just finish your senior year, but that aside....

it really depends on what your major is to decided on classes. And if your CCs are anything like the ones near me, people really don't do that much. This includes actually doing school work and after school activities.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - May 31st 2009, 12:01 AM

The classes to take depend on your program and your interests. I'd suggest 1st year psychology or calculus, but to you, those may be hard. There are numerous clubs at university, I'd assume community college would also have a lot. I joined the biology, chemistry and psychology clubs as those are the areas I'm interested in (less into chemistry). Some have card-collecting clubs, anime clubs, sport clubs, etc..., so see what there is and what you like.

Some people may consider drinking or going to the campus pub/bar "cool", do it if you want. I'm not a drinker so I don't go to such areas.

Best way to manage time is to put most of it to studying. Make a timetable on paper, and try to go by it. Prioritize by what is easiest/hardest, worth more percentage/less percentage and for large assignments, go bit by bit. Lecturerrs in first year tend to be rather nice and usually easy, unless you're unlucky. Also, make a study group so you can study with them for a test, exam, etc... .

I've done several AP courses in high school, and only 2 of them had some resemblence to university. Although, for community college I'm not sure if they'd be more similar or not.

If you list your courses, then you can get better feedback.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - May 31st 2009, 07:24 AM

As I am finishing up community college and about to start at a university, I might be of some help here.

First, make sure any classes you take will transfer. And unless your college has early/middle college programs, you will probably be one of the youngest in your class. Be prepared to be around a lot of much older people.

Fun classes depend on your interest. Make sure it fulfills some requirement, but take whatever appeals to you. I took creative writing, History of Rock, and several history classes for fun. As for clubs, well most colleges have them. History, Political Science, and Creative Writing clubs were the ones I liked. You won't have a chance to be a loser, someone in your class or in a club will probably befriend you rather quickly.

As for actually tips and stuff, well the college I went to stressed hard work. The teachers graded us to university standards, their goals were to prepare us for university work. And we had a 7 point grading system, instead of the university 10 point, although that will vary by state.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
anomie Offline
Not a n00b

Re: To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - June 13th 2009, 08:23 AM

the people on college confidential will be able to help you better than the people here.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com
good luck and have fun.
i skipped senior year too. i probably wasn't mature enough to do it (i went to college at 16, and ended up having to take a gap year during my freshman year), but there wasn't really any way out of it because i'd already taken all the math and science classes at my high school and i'd already gotten into a good college anyway.

Quote:
Besides the general ed, what classes do you think are good/rewarding/fun to take?
you'll want to ask upperclassmen on that...it varies widely with the professor and the school

Quote:
What about clubs and such? How do I not be a loser?
the best way to not be a loser is don't worry about being a loser. and above all don't think you're a loser. just try to make connections with people. smile and say hi and talk in a warm enthusiastic voice and you'll be fine.

Quote:
What's the best ways to manage my time well?
well hey if i knew that i wouldn't be in danger of flaming

(#6 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - June 14th 2009, 01:06 AM

If you want to go to medical school, you'll need to take general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, physics (I think?), and some math (possibly calculus). Those don't have to all be taken in two years, however.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: To all you people in college/going to college; Advice? - June 14th 2009, 03:10 AM

Well, the first thing I would suggest is to get a list of all the general education classes you will need. (Usually the school has a general education sheet that the counselor can give you or you can pick up on your own.)

To get an AA you need 60 units(in Cali at least) 39 of which are general eduacation. If you really want to graduate from the community college in two years make sure you get as many general education classes as you can(they are usually a little harder to get into the first semester or two).

Of course you don't want to stress yourself out with all the boring classes, which alot of the general education are, so you should also take at least one class that really interests you. What that is all depends on your likes and dislikes. I like psychology so I balance my classes out by adding a psych class or soc class if there are no good psych classes. But, you may like math or music so that all depends.

And, like casey said, make sure the classes you take are transferrable. The way to know this is in the front of the class registration catalog there will be a list and it will say things like UC, CSU, or whatever(I don't have book with me) Anyways, that means that the credit is transferable to a UC or CSU. If you want you could talk to a counselor but they can sometimes be very...lame and not helpful.

As for managing your time, how did you do it in high school? Was there anything you would like to change about your high school habits, etc? You definitely want to make college your number one priority but you also want to make sure you have time for fun as well.

Hope this helped and wasn't too confusing. If you have anymore questions you could pm or aim me. And, have fun, college can be very very rewarding and fun.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread