TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Want to quit. - March 8th 2019, 08:55 PM

I hate working fast food and my anxiety has been through the roof just thinking about returning to work tomorrow. I don't want to go back I really, really want to quit but what will I do for money? I am looking for other jobs but if I get disability then I don't know if another employer would be willing to work me below 20 hours a week. I'm at a loss, I feel stuck, my parents are really getting on me because I just cannot do the work, they think I should be able to, but I just can't. My anxiety is too terrible.

I can do it
I'll get through it
But Iím only human
And I bleed when I fall down
Iím only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause Iím only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JustTheKeags Offline
Meme a Day Keeps th Feels Away
Average Joe

Name: Keagan

Re: Want to quit. - March 9th 2019, 06:00 AM

Figure out the pros and cons:
Pros:
Your anxiety could go down
You could get rid of a job you hate
Ect.
Cons:
You might lose a stable source of income
Your parents might be reaffirmed in their belief that you can't do the work they think you can do.
It could be hard finding another job.

Hope this helps,
Keags

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Want to quit. - March 9th 2019, 05:14 PM

Hey,

Anxiety is the absolute worst! I can't tell you what to do because it's, ultimately, up to you. However, I want to go over a few things that might help a bit.

The first thing is that the more you work the more your anxiety might go down. There are no guarantees that that will happen but I know that showing up to a job, regularly, has helped some people. Last year I started working after years of being on disability and my anxiety increased tenfold. I didn't know how I would get through it. I am about 9 months into the job and my anxiety has gotten so much better. I still struggle with anxiety and I always will but I don't have nearly as many panic attacks and I don't feel as hopeless about working. My experience might not be yours and I don't want you to think I am down playing your anxiety. I just wanted to give my work experience as an example so you could know that the anxiety might decrease.

In regards to disability, I do think that would be a viable option for you but you also have to take into consideration that disability can take a while to get. I know that there are people that have to fight to get disability because they are originally denied. Personally, I think you'd be a good candidate for disability but I know they aren't the best at approving people. It might be worth it to talk to your doctors about how they feel about you getting disability; do they think you'd be a good candidate? It might help to talk to them and get their opinion on what they think you should do.

What do you think you should do? If you quit do you think you could handle dealing with your parents while you go through the process of getting disability? I don't want to see you quit and get put into a situation where your parents are being difficult and it makes you mental health worse. However, I don't think it's worth it to keep working if it's impacting your mental health so much. It might help to make a pros and cons list about this topic. I know pros and cons lists have helped me make up my mind about things.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|