TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Job/Career. - April 21st 2019, 12:02 PM

So I finished high school about 9 years ago now and since leaving, I've been working on and off in childcare. I have nothing against children but I don't want to work in the industry anymore. The pay is extremely low compared to other industries and I have no interest or passion for the job anymore. I know money isn't everything but I have to work 2 jobs to be able to earn a decent salary a year. With childcare, you can work with different age groups (5 weeks - 5/6 years) and are usually in a set room with the age group. However, even though having 8 years experience working in the industry (7 years with the same company I'm working at now, but I did have a 10 month hiatus and I started working for them again in September 2018), I'm not in a room and cover morning and afternoon breaks as well as lunch breaks. I still do 37.5 hour weeks but I feel like I'm being somewhat punished for leaving them even though they asked me to come back. Some of the girls I work with make me do the crappy jobs all the time as soon as I walk into the room to cover their breaks like changing the children's nappies, pack away the toys in the yard and clean the dirty dishes for the room I'm in when the cook has gone home for the day. I know that everyone has to do it. But I'm doing it several times a day especially the children's nappies.

I would love to work full time in the hospitality industry preferably as a bartender/duty manager and I already work casually at a pub/tavern for just over a year. However, recently I've been not wanting to work there at all due to the fact that I'm constantly clearing away dirty dishes and glasses and wiping down dirty tables instead of being behind a bar. I paid to do a course to behind the bar but instead, I spend my 5 hour shift clearing up after people. I know I probably sound like I'm high and mighty but they put behind the bar for 4 or so months straight and now all of sudden they've put me to cleaning up again. One of the duty managers I feel focuses on the negative of what you do and is constantly telling you what to do to the put where I've lost all respect for her. I know it's her job to tell me what to do but when it's consistently like what she does, it gets frustrating.

It just feels so degrading not being in a room or behind the bar permanently and I know what the simple solution is - to speak to my managers about changing the situation I'm in but it's come to the point where I don't even care anymore. I just want a new job and I have been applying but I either don't hear back due to not have the relevant experience or qualifications or the interviews are held in between work hours and if I go to too many interviews, I might lose my job due to taking to much time of work.

Am I being over-sensitive? I don't know if it's because I'm just tired from working, studying and going to the gym too much but it's all getting too much. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Last edited by Disclosure.; April 21st 2019 at 12:29 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Unbreakable

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Job/Career. - April 22nd 2019, 02:15 AM

I don't have much advice to give, but I will say this.

I too have been out of high school a while, and since then I have been through twelve jobs. Granted, I never stuck with just one I applaud you for that! It's hard sticking to the same job as long as you did/have. That should definitely help you get a new job. I always tell myself that things happen for a reason. The right job will come along eventually. We all have a place in this world and are put here for a purpose, yours just may not be childcare or cleaning. It's completely okay to change your career path, I've done it multiple times. Only recently have I found, or at least think I've found, a permanent job. It took me 10 years out of school and two degrees later - degrees I am not using

You'll be fine, the right job will come along soon and if it's meant to be, it will fall into place. Some places even do phone interviews if you cannot make it in to the place you want to work at. Some companies even schedule interviews around other work schedules.

Hang in there. Remember, when the time is right, the right job will fall into your lap.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Job/Career. - April 22nd 2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe and Believe View Post
I don't have much advice to give, but I will say this.

I too have been out of high school a while, and since then I have been through twelve jobs. Granted, I never stuck with just one I applaud you for that! It's hard sticking to the same job as long as you did/have. That should definitely help you get a new job. I always tell myself that things happen for a reason. The right job will come along eventually. We all have a place in this world and are put here for a purpose, yours just may not be childcare or cleaning. It's completely okay to change your career path, I've done it multiple times. Only recently have I found, or at least think I've found, a permanent job. It took me 10 years out of school and two degrees later - degrees I am not using

You'll be fine, the right job will come along soon and if it's meant to be, it will fall into place. Some places even do phone interviews if you cannot make it in to the place you want to work at. Some companies even schedule interviews around other work schedules.

Hang in there. Remember, when the time is right, the right job will fall into your lap.
Thank you. I've been applying for so many jobs and I just feel so emotionally drained all the time. I just don't want to work for anyone anymore.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Unbreakable

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Job/Career. - April 22nd 2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom. View Post
Thank you. I've been applying for so many jobs and I just feel so emotionally drained all the time. I just don't want to work for anyone anymore.
Not being able to find a job can indeed by draining, but you just have to keep trying. Don't give up yet!

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Job/Career. - April 25th 2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe and Believe View Post

Not being able to find a job can indeed by draining, but you just have to keep trying. Don't give up yet!
Thank you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
jasonsmith Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jason

Re: Job/Career. - May 24th 2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclosure. View Post
So I finished high school about 9 years ago now and since leaving, I've been working on and off in childcare. I have nothing against children but I don't want to work in the industry anymore. The pay is extremely low compared to other industries and I have no interest or passion for the job anymore. I know money isn't everything but I have to work 2 jobs to be able to earn a decent salary a year. With childcare, you can work with different age groups (5 weeks - 5/6 years) and are usually in a set room with the age group. However, even though having 8 years experience working in the industry (7 years with the same company I'm working at now, but I did have a 10 month hiatus and I started working for them again in September 2018), I'm not in a room and cover morning and afternoon breaks as well as lunch breaks. I still do 37.5 hour weeks but I feel like I'm being somewhat punished for leaving them even though they asked me to come back. Some of the girls I work with make me do the crappy jobs all the time as soon as I walk into the room to cover their breaks like changing the children's nappies, pack away the toys in the yard and clean the dirty dishes for the room I'm in when the cook has gone home for the day. I know that everyone has to do it. But I'm doing it several times a day especially the children's nappies.

I would love to work full time in the hospitality industry preferably as a bartender/duty manager and I already work casually at a pub/tavern for just over a year. However, recently I've been not wanting to work there at all due to the fact that I'm constantly clearing away dirty dishes and glasses and wiping down dirty tables instead of being behind a bar. I paid to do a course to behind the bar but instead, I spend my 5 hour shift clearing up after people. I know I probably sound like I'm high and mighty but they put behind the bar for 4 or so months straight and now all of sudden they've put me to cleaning up again. One of the duty managers I feel focuses on the negative of what you do and is constantly telling you what to do to the put where I've lost all respect for her. I know it's her job to tell me what to do but when it's consistently like what she does, it gets frustrating.

It just feels so degrading not being in a room or behind the bar permanently and I know what the simple solution is - to speak to my managers about changing the situation I'm in but it's come to the point where I don't even care anymore. I just want a new job and I have been applying but I either don't hear back due to not have the relevant experience or qualifications or the interviews are held in between work hours and if I go to too many interviews, I might lose my job due to taking to much time of work.

Am I being over-sensitive? I don't know if it's because I'm just tired from working, studying and going to the gym too much but it's all getting too much. I just don't know what to do anymore.
I feel sorry for you. I know how stressful life can be sometimes. I suggest you taking a short break, maybe take a trip somewhere. Otherwise, you're risking to get depression.

“Part of the success of This American Life, I think, is due to the fact that none of us sound like we should be on the radio. We don’t sound professional; we sound like people you would know.”

Sarah Vowell
  Send a message via Skype™ to jasonsmith 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Job/Career. - May 28th 2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith View Post
I feel sorry for you. I know how stressful life can be sometimes. I suggest you taking a short break, maybe take a trip somewhere. Otherwise, you're risking to get depression.
I wish I could take a trip but I can't afford it at the moment haha.

Closed Thread