TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Favorite Subjects? - June 30th 2019, 09:58 PM

What were/are your favorite subject(s) in school? Were these subjects also the one(s) you got the best grade in?

For me, my absolute favorite subject(s) in school were social studies and history. Indeed, they were the subjects in which I got the best grades. Always A's!

To further this conversation, what about your least favorite subject(s) in school? Mine was Math and PE. Of course, these were also my worst performed/graded as well.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
daisy_jam Offline
< < • > >
Average Joe

Name: Delwen

Points: 13,527, Level: 16 Points: 13,527, Level: 16 Points: 13,527, Level: 16

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 1st 2019, 08:55 AM

My favourite subjects at school were History, Food Hospitality and Art. I always performed really well with those subjects. My least favourite was maths, science, sports. I always failed at maths and science even though I was in a basic class Basic class is for those who are “dumb” lol

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 1st 2019, 12:43 PM

I love History and Math. I hated Geometry but Algebra 1 and 2 were my favorite! I was naturally good at History too.

I also liked my German class.

It wasn't so much that I got better grades in these classes because I tended to get A's and B's in all my classes...I just enjoyed these classes the most.

Least favorites were probably English and PE. I hated PE because I have severe asthma and we were forced to run. I could never really run and had a self pace note but the teacher thought I was being lazy. One teacher even made me run in a bad air day and another teacher was upset for me and said he wouldn't have been able to run in that. The teachers were what turned me off from PE.

There were things I liked about English like reading some good books...but I hated having to discuss the books and find meaning or determine the symbolism behind things. It took the joy out of reading. I also didn't like having to write essays. I was capable of writing them and some of them were 'fun' but in general I was bored by the requirement of having to write essays.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 1st 2019, 07:35 PM

My favorite subject was English and Health. I just like health and health education type stuff since I'm, y'know, a public health major now that I'm in college. English was also the one subject I just was naturally good at. I also took a psychology elective in high school that I liked a lot.

I know college doesn't really count but I want to say in grad school my favorite subjects are research and biostatistics, which is funny because they are also the hardest courses I've ever taken in my darned life aha. In undergrad my favorite subjects were my public health classes like illness and disease and program planning.

My least favorite subject was definitely PE because I'm not physically fit and it was often embarrassing for me. Also math. I've never had an easy time in it and had a teacher that crushed my spirits in middle school aha. Also AP physics content-wise and I didn't pass the AP exam, but the teacher was the sweetest woman in the world and I do miss her.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 1st 2019, 08:15 PM

I really liked English, History, Religious Studies and ICT. I also liked Welsh and French. To be honest, I'm not sure there was a particular subject that I really loved or excelled at. For me, as long as I didn't have to perform, do practicals or group work, it's safe to say I enjoyed the subject. Also depended on the teacher as some were better than others

I do wish though that I studied Law and Psychology at A-Level. I messed up my A-Level options by taking things that I thought other people would want me to take, rather than taking subjects I was interested in. Lesson learned!

My least favourite subjects were drama, PE, music, technology (food, textiles and woodwork). I prefer subjects where I can just get on with the work rather than having to create or perform. I only liked PE when we would spend the lesson jogging around the football field. Other things like playing hockey, basketball, rounders etc., I was just bad at and I'm sure I've never hit or caught a ball in my life

Naturally, I do better with academic subjects than anything creative.

As for my degree, English and Educational Studies, I did prefer the education side of things- psychology and meeting individual needs. As Jenna said, with english, it's less fun when you have to read and analyse texts. It does take the fun out of reading!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: N/A

Points: 35,375, Level: 27 Points: 35,375, Level: 27 Points: 35,375, Level: 27

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 2nd 2019, 07:54 AM

English and History were my favourite subjects in high school and I scored great marks in them. I also liked Math a lot but I would loose out on marks because I'd mess up and make mistakes that could actually be avoided. I hated ICT, I think it was more because the teacher and I did not get along, I don't really know. I absolutely hated science and barely passed in it.

I loved Advanced reading as well but they scrapped that class since not many opted for it (English isn't native to my country). But when I opted for Advanced English as an optional subject in college, I did not like it one bit. The interpretations and analysis that I had to do ruined the fun out of reading!

In grad school, I loved research and field work (where we went and worked with different communities twice a week) and scored best in these subjects. I also really liked my class on Social Movements, which reflects on my childhood love for history, I guess.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 2nd 2019, 04:22 PM

My favorite subject growing up was definitely English and yes, it was the subject I got the best grades in! Later when I got to college, I also enjoyed and did very well in psych classes. I LOVE and do well in French classes, too.

My least favorite... Well, I'm dyscalculic, so definitely math. No contest there! And yes, PE (or as we called it, "gym") was terrible. Everyone used to yell at me because I couldn't kick or catch a ball. The tragedy is that while I couldn't kick or catch a ball, I could DODGE a ball, and so I was often the last one standing when we played dodge ball... Couldn't throw a ball to save my life, though, so a lot of the time we still lost anyway.

My second least favorite subject apart from math was probably religion. I went to a Catholic school, and one day my English teacher (who was also my religion teacher) took me aside and said, "Kylie, how is it that you can do so well in English and so poorly in Religion?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
There were things I liked about English like reading some good books...but I hated having to discuss the books and find meaning or determine the symbolism behind things. It took the joy out of reading.
I'm an English major (not English Lit) and I 100% agree with this.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 3rd 2019, 12:56 PM

English was always my favorite. I scored pretty well in it.

I still like English but don't need to take very much of it except for my English/science class. It's a technical writing class. Nowadays in addition to English I enjoy the sciences. They are a lot of work and give you no extra time to do much of anything...but they are fun. I am a science/bio major.

My least favorite has always been math and history follows closely behind it. I've done relatively well with math in college so I don't dislike it as much but it's still a pain.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 3rd 2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post
I still like English but don't need to take very much of it except for my English/science class. It's a technical writing class.
Oh, gosh, I did technical writing last semester, and let me tell you, it was NOT my thing. Some people like it and are really good at it, though!! I had a few people in my class who said they preferred it to other kinds of writing.

Well, godspeed!

Yeah, I was never really a history person myself... I'm still not. I think I disliked history for the same reason I disliked religion - it was just a lot of memorization. At one point I was supposed to memorize a bunch of the popes in middle school, which I totally didn't do. I'm pretty sure that test preceded the conversation with my teacher... Oh, dear.

~Kylie
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 4th 2019, 08:44 AM

My favourite subjects in school were History, English, PE, Music and Drama.

Least favourite were Maths and Science.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue

Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 5th 2019, 08:24 AM

I've always liked History and different languages most And Math's definitely the worst. My despised subject haha

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#12 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 5th 2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recommencer View Post

Oh, gosh, I did technical writing last semester, and let me tell you, it was NOT my thing. Some people like it and are really good at it, though!! I had a few people in my class who said they preferred it to other kinds of writing.

Well, godspeed!

Yeah, I was never really a history person myself... I'm still not. I think I disliked history for the same reason I disliked religion - it was just a lot of memorization. At one point I was supposed to memorize a bunch of the popes in middle school, which I totally didn't do. I'm pretty sure that test preceded the conversation with my teacher... Oh, dear.

~Kylie
Was it hard? I'm taking it online in the fall. English profs always get me with my citations/references. I am not a fan of APA. I do like to write papers though.

Yeah, history is like that. Plus there's so many sides and battles and they all kind of blur together for me. Chemistry was also a lot of memorization but it's more hands on than History was for me.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,388, Level: 46 Points: 107,388, Level: 46 Points: 107,388, Level: 46

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 7th 2019, 07:47 PM

My favorite subjects are English, History and Art. I don't like Math.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 10th 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Was it hard? I'm taking it online in the fall. English profs always get me with my citations/references. I am not a fan of APA. I do like to write papers though.
APA is all I use but oh boy, do you think I can write those out myself? LOL never. I suggest a citation manager if you have articles or anything! it's a godsend aha. I just started using Mendeley and like it so far, which is free (yeeeet) and have used EndNote before but didn't like it as much and I think I only had a free subscription through school anyway. I think Mendeley can also use used for books and other forms of academic literature too. I've just only needed articles.

I always thought English was MLA though? I haven't taken an English class since my freshman year of undergrad, oops. But that may have also been the last time I used MLA and in high school my English teacher let us use an online citation thing.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 10th 2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post
It's super easy to get confused with all the different styles. I always have to look up how to cite things in different formats!

It wasn't hard, per se, but it was definitely tedious. At least for me! Like I said, some people seemed to like it! If you like breaking things down into steps and don't mind the dryness of it, it can be a pretty good experience, I think. And technical writers are in pretty high demand, so there's that!

But yeah, I have a hard time keeping all those battles straight in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothesis. View Post
I always thought English was MLA though? I haven't taken an English class since my freshman year of undergrad, oops. But that may have also been the last time I used MLA and in high school my English teacher let us use an online citation thing.
Yeah, for the most part English is MLA. I've done a lot with both styles, having taken both psych and English courses, but I definitely think MLA is way easier. No cover pages!! Yay!!!

Also, online citation things are awesome.

~Kylie
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 13th 2019, 12:36 AM

I'll have to use those online citation thingys. I do fine in other classes when I need references because other profs aren't particularly picky about it. My school makes everyone use APA no matter what course you take. It's a pain.

No cover pages or running heads with MLA! It's so boring. I miss getting to use fun fonts and colors.

I do have a new class I can't stand - Physics. I seriously suck at it. It's the only science I can't do. I was going to withdrawal but the instructor told me to try to stick it out so here goes nothing. Only another ten days until the semester is done.

Speaking of that: what does your school require for you to pass? We need at least a 75%. A 75% and above is a C, 83% and above is a B and a 92% or higher is an A. We have no Ds, just Fs.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 13th 2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Speaking of that: what does your school require for you to pass? We need at least a 75%. A 75% and above is a C, 83% and above is a B and a 92% or higher is an A. We have no Ds, just Fs.
For grad school I need at least a C+ which I think is like a 77 or 78? I think for undergrad it was a C or better but I'm not 100% sure. I also know that we have GPA requirements as well. For example undergrads in my program need like a 2.5. Other programs have different requirements.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 13th 2019, 07:14 PM

When I was away at a university, you needed to maintain a 2.0 GPA.
At the local college I went to, it was a 1.0 GPA. When I left a few years ago, I had maintained a 2.33 GPA.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Kleeeniks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,927, Level: 6 Points: 1,927, Level: 6 Points: 1,927, Level: 6

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 19th 2019, 10:08 AM

I'd like History,really enjoy when learing something about our past
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Hithyshi Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hithyshi

Points: 1,891, Level: 6 Points: 1,891, Level: 6 Points: 1,891, Level: 6

Re: Favorite Subjects? - July 31st 2019, 03:14 PM

I love Maths
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
KyCoo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,725, Level: 7 Points: 2,725, Level: 7 Points: 2,725, Level: 7

Re: Favorite Subjects? - February 24th 2021, 02:47 AM

I suck at Maths. Favorite subjects would be English and History. At uni, I've found this new fascination for psychology.

Last edited by DeletedAccount59; February 24th 2021 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Edited link out. Please do not direct users off TeenHelp.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Favorite Subjects? - February 24th 2021, 07:27 AM

It was History, English and Art all the way for me. Straight As, highest grades and then I went for a nice relaxed open university course which I've only recently graduated. Our little sis is studying Law. My twin did the same as me.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Naughty Dog Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,067, Level: 5 Points: 1,067, Level: 5 Points: 1,067, Level: 5

Re: Favorite Subjects? - February 28th 2021, 05:56 PM

Actually I liked all the subjects at school and university a lot but my favs were chemistry and PE.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
heyquynh

Edit avatar

Re: Favorite Subjects? - April 13th 2021, 12:13 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I grow in Vietnam which is a Southeast Asia.Every students from primary schools to high school there has to complete twelve-subjects course per year.

Math, Literature and English really attracted my attention.

My ability was soon higly appreciated by my Literature teacher. By constrast, My Math was quite bad so I made a great effort to practise it , I tried my best to do math exercises 3 hours on average every day. I pinned all my hope on that. I have interest in learning English and any languages and trying to achieve my objective of taking IELTS exam.

Biology, Physical and Chemistry is not my cup of tea. It is so boring for me to do homework for it[/size][/color][/font]
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
chillinvillin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris
Pronouns: He/Him

Points: 570, Level: 3 Points: 570, Level: 3 Points: 570, Level: 3

Re: Favorite Subjects? - August 22nd 2021, 07:45 PM

English, art/architecture, and computer science classes were probably my favorite during undergrad
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
javier221 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 446, Level: 3 Points: 446, Level: 3 Points: 446, Level: 3

Re: Favorite Subjects? - October 25th 2021, 11:10 AM

My favorite subjects in school were English and Mathematics and yes, it was mainly because I always scored well in these subjects. I also understood these subjects impeccably. I am good with theoretical and conceptual work. It makes learning a pleasure for me, and I always receive good grades as a result. Other disciplines interest me as well, but English and Math are at the top of my list. It never gets old to me, and I'm constantly eager to learn more about it. Here is a blog https://mytutorsource.com/blog/faste...o-learn-maths/ where you can check and follow for more.
My least favorites were Geography and Science. I scored well in these too but I had a hard time memorizing things. For these, one had to learn the entire geography, the city names, the rivers, the biology of a person, etc. that is why I could never get my hand on these two subjects. School ended 5 years ago and I still can not do the memorizing thing properly.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Turbo Rocket Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jack

Points: 155, Level: 2 Points: 155, Level: 2 Points: 155, Level: 2

Re: Favorite Subjects? - April 12th 2022, 04:01 PM

Maths was always my cup of tea. I scored pretty well in it.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16 Points: 13,296, Level: 16

Re: Favorite Subjects? - April 12th 2022, 10:33 PM

I liked History and English the most in High School. I HATED Math and always have.
Closed Thread