TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LizardLover Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question How to quit my painful job? - July 6th 2019, 12:40 AM

I am 17 and have been working at a local food market for a year. I started as a cashier. At first it was fine, a light summer job, but they soon started working me full time hours and increasing my jobs (stocking, sweeping, etc.) I began woring 30 to 40 hour a week, and I began to get bad knee pain and fatigue. It also turns out that they do not pay over time, and my paychecks and at 40 hours, while the rest is cash. Now, after my knee pain and frustration with angry customers from a new 3% charge on credit cards, I moved to the party tray area. I, a teen girl, am working 8-4 5 days a week, hunched over snadwitchs and wraps, , carrying heavy trays to and from freezers. I now have both knee and terrible upper back pain, and have little time to relax. I am also concerned that I am not getting paid my fair share, and am still makimg minimum wage after a year of hard work. I am ready to just walk out, but I have made really great friends, and the store is very dependent on me. I would hate to leave them hanging on one of their busiest times (a local holiday is coming up), but I dont know if I can physically handle it! And how can I get back the pay I deserve? Please give me advice! Thank you!

Last edited by Hypothesis.; July 6th 2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Moving to more appropriate forum. You'll get better advice here. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: How to quit my painful job? - July 6th 2019, 11:17 AM

Hey there

Is it possible to talk to the manager or the boss or someone about everything you’ve just wrote about? It’s a good idea to do so.

It’s not good to be working if you’re in a lot of pain. You should be enjoying it.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to quit my painful job? - July 7th 2019, 09:32 PM

If you're being paid the legal minimum wage, and it adds up to the number of hours you're getting (e.g. minimum wage where I live is $15/hour, so 40 hours of work would give me $600 a week minus however much I have to pay out in taxes, which is generally done prior to being given a pay cheque, so probably $500 weekly). It's not a lot of money, especially considering a lot of states allow employers to legally pay minors less money than adults. Unfortunately, it's common for retail places to pay minimum wage because they can and because the amount of money they have to put out on the sheer number of staff, product, etc. make higher wages difficult (supposedly, I call bull shit on that but whatever). A lot of retail places pay assistant managers or supervisors more, but their "raises" to general staffers tend to be miniscule and insignificant, like if I was making $15/hour at my job, I'd be lucky to get it up to $16 after a year. That's just the reality of it. So in all honesty, I wouldn't base quitting on your income, especially if you need to be working to make money, because unless you are absolutely sure that you can find a job where you're making more money, then you'll just be in the same low wage position at you're next job. So unless they're withholding money that you're legally entitled to, there's not a lot you can do. At the end of the day, feeling like you deserve more money is a much different story than being legally entitled to it (e.g. you're likely paying into employment insurance, pension, vacation, and general taxes - where I live, the minimum wage tax bracket is about 25% once all of that is said and done). You can always ask for a raise and see how it goes, but I'd recommend going over how much you should be paid (e.g. minimum wage x hours worked -- taxes/EI/pension/vacation) and make sure it adds up.

However, clearly there are issues with what you're doing, since it sounds like they're putting a lot on you that you weren't prepared to be doing, like working full time without really asking you if you are ok with that, as well as it impacting your physical health. If I were you, I'd talk to the bosses about this and let them know that this is a problem for you and tell them you want fewer hours, and to do more tasks that will avoid physical pain and less of the tasks that cause you pain. This should be manageable if there are currently other people they can assign to those tasks.

If they're not willing to work with you on these things, especially the ones causing you physical pain, then I would quit if I were you, because that's not a good work environment if they know full well that you're in pain and aren't doing anything to support you in resolving it. This way, it'll allow you to quit in a better way because you can clearly tell them that you tried to work with them to remedy the problem and they refused so you're going to have to move on but thanks for the opportunity and blah blah blah.

Also, you should start looking for a new job now if you need one. I'm not sure if you have to be working or not, but while "I'm 17" is an excuse sometimes, if you have to be working, the responsible "adult" position that you've unfortunately been locked into (assuming you have to work) is that you should look for a new job first before quitting because a lot of people hate their jobs for real and valid reasons and not everyone has the luxury of quitting and looking for work after the fact instead of working at the terrible job. Prep your resume, and start applying for new jobs, and if you get something, then you can quit at this job and cite "a new opportunity" for you in the letter of quitting

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: How to quit my painful job? - July 9th 2019, 08:27 AM

Hi there,

I also recommend talking to your manager about it to let them know how you feel. It can be hard at first but by writing down what you're planning on saying and practicing in front of the mirror or to family/friends, it will help boost up your confidence. Please remember your health is more important.

Closed Thread