TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Music Appreciation - November 28th 2019, 07:03 PM

Hello all,

In April I'll be starting college and one of the classes I'll be taking is music appreciation. I took this class once before and it was not done well and I didn't get it. I ended up withdrawing from school that semester.

I'll be taking this course at a completely different college. The teacher isn't on the rating site I browse for teachers.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has taken a music appreciation course? If you have can you tell me what you were required to do and if it was difficult. I remember the semester I took it was difficult because the teacher wasn't that structured and he'd switch from one subject to another and there were no real notes.

I was advised by the counselor of my program to take music appreciation instead of art appreciation. I'm just having slight anxiety cause I had a bad experience with it before.

I'm not sure if anyone can help but any insight into past music appreciation classes would be nice.

Thank you.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Serendipity. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Music Appreciation - November 28th 2019, 11:40 PM

I have no insight, but I suggest you choose the course you want to take. Don't waste money on something you will struggle with and end up withdrawing from again. I have more appreciation for the visual arts, so I would go with that instead. Mind you, I don't have appreciation for Monet, but I do have appreciation for contemporary work; mainly photography.

HelpLINK MentorCommunity Mentor Articles Writer Newsletter Editor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Music Appreciation - November 29th 2019, 01:41 PM

I'm already registered for the class. I don't want to take an art appreciation either. This is a class I need to take. I just need insight into the class if anyone has it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Music Appreciation - November 30th 2019, 12:16 PM

Hi,

My older sister took music appreciation and she loved it. They would break down all kinds of songs from different styles and she said that they taught her how to listen not just to the words, but also the difference instruments and how to read music too. She would teach me some of this and it was fun. I wish you the best with this.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
It’s the rhythm of your life. It’s the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Music Appreciation - December 1st 2019, 06:58 AM

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this will help but I studied music from Year 7 to Year 12 and I started piano lessons when I was 9 (I unfortunately had to stop at 13 due to my other studies and haven't been able to go back but would love to!). While I was studying music in high school and even during the piano lessons, we had to listen to different songs of different genres and break it down in terms of writing down what instruments we thought were being used, the tempo and what we thought the lyrics meant. It definitely made me think about music in a whole different light.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Serendipity. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Music Appreciation - December 1st 2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclosure. View Post
Hi there!

I'm not sure if this will help but I studied music from Year 7 to Year 12 and I started piano lessons when I was 9 (I unfortunately had to stop at 13 due to my other studies and haven't been able to go back but would love to!). While I was studying music in high school and even during the piano lessons, we had to listen to different songs of different genres and break it down in terms of writing down what instruments we thought were being used, the tempo and what we thought the lyrics meant. It definitely made me think about music in a whole different light.
This definitely sounds interesting! I am always trying to figure out and put a label on different type of instruments being played; but am not able to put an exact word on them. This is a huge downside of having gone to a school for the deaf. Mind you, I can take college courses; but they would be expensive.

HelpLINK MentorCommunity Mentor Articles Writer Newsletter Editor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Music Appreciation - December 3rd 2019, 01:22 AM

Thank you for the insight. I tend to enjoy music and I think this class has the potential to be interesting. It's just hard to get past the negative experience I had.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Music Appreciation - December 10th 2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity. View Post

This definitely sounds interesting! I am always trying to figure out and put a label on different type of instruments being played; but am not able to put an exact word on them. This is a huge downside of having gone to a school for the deaf. Mind you, I can take college courses; but they would be expensive.
It really was interesting and I love music so for me it was a course that I really enjoyed.