TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Question Work, School, Mexico? - June 1st 2009, 05:56 PM

I have a lot going on right now, and I'm confused on what I should do... I passed my test and can legally drive now. We're going to try and get a little car soon, because It would cost my boyfriend to much to put me on the insurance on the truck since I'm a first time driver.

So now, I can actually get a job or go to school. It's either I go to school and start getting my general ed out of the way, dental school, or work. The only thing, is that we might be leaving the country and moving to Mexico. We just have to wait for business to be taken care of. I'm concerned If I join school, or get a job, I might have to abandon them both to move. We both want to move so bad... He misses his family, and I want out of the U.S. Very much so. I might be able to deliver at the pizzeria that he works a few days a week... I just need your opinions of what you think I should or could do.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Work, School, Mexico? - June 2nd 2009, 12:36 AM

Well, how soon do you think you'd be moving?
Im very much for education - because, sure delivering pizzas when you're 18 is fine, you don't want to have that as your only option when your 38 however.
But I'd also think getting an education once your settled would be preferable. If you don't plan on moving for a year, then do a year of education, and deliver pizzas (or some other reasonably stress free part time job, that'll help with the bills). If you plan on moving in under a school semester (so 3 or 4 months or something, not sure what it's like where you are), then id say stick with a job..abandon it when you move, get a new job and start finishing your education wherever you move to.

in regards to dental school or general education, i'm confused, i'm from australia, and we've gotta have a grade 12 HSC with excellent marks to go into dentistry? so do you mean general education as studying ssomthing general at university/college or have you not finished year 12? or what? If your sure you ant to be a dentist/dental nurse etc, then i'd go straight to dental school (presuming thats fine wherever you live).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Work, School, Mexico? - June 2nd 2009, 12:36 AM

If it's not a for sure thing that you're going to Mexico, or if you're not sure how long it will be before you can go there, I'd say try to get a job where you are now. If it turns out you're leaving soon, you can always quit the job, but if it turns out you have to wait longer, then you have the job in the meantime to keep up with bills and such.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Work, School, Mexico? - June 2nd 2009, 12:46 AM

I think education is always number one. If you have the resources to go now, go now. Stay until you finish... and then move. You don't want to be dependent on your boyfriend, or deliver pizzas when you're older. You can go to school and deliver pizzas?

My psychology teacher did that.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Work, School, Mexico? - June 2nd 2009, 01:35 AM

I'd say go for education, and possibly a job. If you get a job now, you get put it on the resume for later anyways. Education to me should be number one out of the three options presented.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Work, School, Mexico? - June 2nd 2009, 05:37 PM

Education defintley. And forget about moving until your education is completed, delivering pizza is defintley not more important than getting a good education. No matter how much your boyfriend wants to see his family (go for a holiday) or you want to get out of the US (again, go for a holiday).

Closed Thread