TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

I just don't know what's next in my life - June 6th 2009, 02:26 AM

I just finished high school, and by this time and age i should probably have something plan or decided in what to choose to pursue in college and professionally in life, like most people, and people around me, have. But i don't. I just focused more on finishing high school and always postponing this decision, and now that is almost time to make it, i can't decide what to choose, because nothing makes me interested.
Time ago, i thought of taking a year off, trying to figure this out and take more care of me, physically and emotionally, and be more prepared for everything, but im afraid i won't be doing all of that, and it will be one more lost year, and end up with nothing decided.
This also makes me feel stupid and empty,like I don't have a personality, specially when people ask " What will you choose in college?", because i don't really know what's next for me...
Has anyone else felt this way, or is in the same situation? Any advice?
Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - June 6th 2009, 03:16 AM

I know what you're talking about. I'm not about to be out of high school but I can understand not knowing what you want to do. For one thing, you could at least go to a community college for two years and get your basic classes as most universities have the same classes for the first two years (that is what I have been told) If you do take a year off, just look around some more and if you come along something and don't think you can do it, LOOK INTO IT. I know you never said that you thought you couldn't do something, but I just don't want you to stumbble onto your passion and let it go. Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
o0lostlove0o Offline
Trapped in a Fairy Tale.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lee - Suh.

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - June 6th 2009, 08:49 AM

I can say I'm kind of in the same position. I don't know what to do in my life after high school. Or, rather, I don't know which to pick. There are so many choices, but which one should I do?

My advice, though, is to do as many strange and new things. Take adventures and try something different. That's a way to find what you really love doing the most, and you can work for it. Take an art or sculpting class if you never really thought about art. Experiment with music or writing words on paper or different subject areas you are curious about. Doing different things can help a lot, especially if you're like me and have no idea what the heck you're doing. ^_^

Just be open to everything. I wish you luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - June 7th 2009, 07:25 AM

This is almost exactly how I'm feeling right now. Like you took the words right out of my head. I was so looking forward to graduation and now I feel completely lost while everyone else knows exactly where they're going. I don't really have any advice for you, but if you want to talk about things I'd be more than happy to. Feel free to pm
-tor

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - June 7th 2009, 09:34 PM

If you are not sure what to do, do not just pick anything. Take a year out. There is no use spending a lot of money studying something you don't really want to study. Honestly. Open yourself up to new ideas. Try lots and lots of new things. Sign yourself up to anything -- Sign language classes, art, poetry, music, science club, anything and everything. Eventually you'll find something you want to stick with.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - June 17th 2009, 01:54 PM

Hi. Thank you for the reply's and sorry that i didn't say something earlier, but i've been busy with school stuff.
My problem is also the pressure that i have, from family and everybody else to major in something, and also a pressure from myself, because i know that only with high school i probably won't get a good job, or a job at all, but i don't want to just major in something so i can say that i went to college.
And other thing is that i don't think college is for me, i don't know, i think that maybe i can't finish or that i wont like it there.
And the main problem of all, i don't find anything i like. I feel so empty and stupid, because everybody knows what they want to do and major on, but i don't

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

My time is "runing out".... - July 1st 2009, 08:01 PM

As time goes by, more and more close comes the time to decided my future and college. I feel so stupid and empty because i don't have anything in particular that i would like to do. I told my parents that i might not be going to college this year, and they didn't like the idea, and that must have something that i would like to do because it's not normal not having something that i would like. But i don't find anything interesting anymore, i mean, i like photography, but i prefer having it as a hobby, because the job offerings in that area are not that good around here, and i also like computers( i always thought if pursuing something with computers, but i researched more and most of the jobs that are specificity with computers, like programing, i don't like, and also the classes that i have to take i don't like them and probably won't be able to do them), but at the same time, i don't want to rush things and then regret of what i have chosen. I thought of taking a year off, try to decided better what to do and solve some issues with myself, but probably the time will pass and i still won't have anything decided, and my parents won't like it very much( although im over age and more independent, it's still is unconformable listen to all those critics).
At the same time, it would be good for me to go to college and major in something, because it would much easier in the future to get a good job and financial independence, and probably move to other place, but only if would know what to choose...
Sorry, just need to write this down...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 3rd 2009, 02:46 AM

You've got a long time to figure out what you want to do, so you should probably take a year off. It's better to do that and get whatever needs to be solves, solved rather than be in colledge taking a course you hate or doing a course than realizing half way through that you want to do something else. You don't have to go to colledge as soon as you graduate, and it's ok if you're parents don't like it, after all it's your life not theirs. You need to do what you know you need

You're amazing just the way you are

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nixie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 3rd 2009, 02:55 AM

I agree with the others. You have time to figure out what you want to do. Don't look down on yourself thinking that you're nothing special--that's just going to hinder you in finding what you want to do with your life and your career. Try being as optimistic as you can, take life day by day. With an open mind, you'll figure out what makes you happy and what you want to do with your life. Take your generals at a community college or a technical college at least in the meantime when you are still searching what you want to major in. Just try to keep out those negative thoughts, okay? It's very difficult, but, hey, we're all here for ya!

I want to get inside your mind;
I want you to expand mine.
  Send a message via MSN to Nixie  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 5th 2009, 12:34 AM

Thank you for your support.
I guess i focused too much time in other areas and plans, like finish high school ( i focused a lot on this, because i got year behind time ago, because i was very distracted and that caused me to loose a year) move out of here, start over in other place, and didn't put too much thought and search for something that i would like to do.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 9th 2009, 12:21 PM

To everybody that took a year off,
Did you find more difficult to adapt to the school environment and school work?
Did you loose the motivation to start college?
If you didn't know what to major in, in that that year off did you end up deciding what you want?
I've been thinking of taking a year off, because i don't know what to choose, and i don't want to just pick something that i would end up hating and waste money and Im afraid that when i go to college i won't be so adapted to the school environment and studying and loose motivation to go to college, and also that in that time i won't decide what to choose

(#12 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Joanie

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 16th 2009, 06:20 AM

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner, but yes!, I do know how you feel. I was and still am very confused on what I want in a career. Right now my plan is to work on a degree in wildlife management, but that is not a set thing. I hate when people ask me so what are you going to school for because I feel stupid for not having an answer for them when it seems like everyone else have had plans and dreams since grade school. Your at a stressful time in life believe me. Its tough. Some people need a year to just chill and relax for a while. I mean after all you've been in school what 14 years? Including pre K and kindergarten. I have tooken a year off from school simply because I am one of the worst procrastinators ever. I didn't register for classes, I didn't get a job and now I'm regretting it. I wish I would of had plans for what colleges I wanted and what career I wanted, but alls I can do now is go back to school and try my hardest to make a decision on what I want. I would suggest talking to a guidance counslor at the college you want to attend. Register for your basic classes for now since for the majority of majors require them. You have a while to come up with a decision. Just think of all your intrests and hobbies and what not. Have you ever tried the website careercruising.com its very helpful. We used it alot at my school. You can research careers you may be intrested in and do this matchmakier survey that will give you ideas on careers that may match you intrests and abilities and stuff like that. Good lucky on everything. Its tough, but eventually you will find something.

Labyrinth <3
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City

(#13 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 17th 2009, 09:38 PM

Thank you!
I don't live in the USA, so the college system is a bit different, from what i understood you can take some classes that everybody has to have and then choose you major. Here you choose your major and then have the specific classes.
Your post seems like it could be almost written by me. I feel so stupid when people asking me "are you going to college?" , "have you chosen yet? You have to!" and this pressure sure doesn't help, only put's me down and a bit sad, and I've been getting even more pressure lately.
I'm going to be honest, it would feel good to take a break, take care of myself( i need to loose weight,and i also have plans to start going to the gym), figure out all this, but people don't really don't get and don't accept this, because i will "loose a year"...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 18th 2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely.boy View Post
I just finished high school, and by this time and age i should probably have something plan or decided in what to choose to pursue in college and professionally in life, like most people, and people around me, have. But i don't. I just focused more on finishing high school and always postponing this decision, and now that is almost time to make it, i can't decide what to choose, because nothing makes me interested.
Time ago, i thought of taking a year off, trying to figure this out and take more care of me, physically and emotionally, and be more prepared for everything, but im afraid i won't be doing all of that, and it will be one more lost year, and end up with nothing decided.
This also makes me feel stupid and empty,like I don't have a personality, specially when people ask " What will you choose in college?", because i don't really know what's next for me...
Has anyone else felt this way, or is in the same situation? Any advice?
Thank you
Don't be mistaken - most people your age have NOT made a real decision on a career path. Even if they think they have, the majority of college students change their majors/career options at least once while in college, and almost as many change their careers again AFTER college.

I did really well in high school but had a terrible time choosing a college because I had no idea what I wanted to do. I turned down a full scholarship to a private college and didn't even bother applying out-of-state because I just didn't want to be far away from my friends and family. I couldn't choose a school based on their majors because I didn't know what I wanted to do. So I chose to go to a medium-sized state university. They have a bunch of different majors, and it's close to home. I ended up changing my declared major after my freshman year, and then adding a second major after my sophomore year. I'm a senior now, and I'm still not completely sure where I want my career to eventually go. But the good thing is that you DO NOT have to plan your entire life out already. It may seem like a lot of people your age have been making more progress and setting long-term goals, but that's not really true and more importantly not really necessary.

Keep your goals short-term if you can't decide or commit to something huge right now. Decide if you want to go to college at all, a technical school, or just start looking for a full-time job. If you do go to college, you'll probably have general education or "core" requirements. Try to make these as varied as possible. Take classes in all sorts of subjects and areas, even ones you think you'd never like or ones that seem more like your dream job than a realistic possibility. I was in a geography class my freshman year and thought it would be boring but it turned out to be one of my favorite subjects and now it's a pretty big part of my major.

DON'T STRESS OUT about being undecided. Some people will tell you that you need to grow up and make a decision. They don't realize that life doesn't play out the same way for everyone and that not everyone has such defined and specific interests. You're not doing anything wrong by being undecided. You might be like me and have a personality that just doesn't suit having any one job for 30-40 years. I intend to change professions numerous times. I want to do everything, and I expect my interests to keep changing as my life goes on. Just think about what will make you happy for right now, and do it. If it gets to the point where that no longer makes you happy, start looking for something else. A lot of people think it's a sign of weakness to be indecisive about a career or to change careers in life, but I personally view it as a strength because it takes a strong person to get up and take the risk to change their life and find more than one thing they just get "comfortable" with, and actually want to fulfill ALL their goals no matter what they might be, even if they don't know them yet.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
SummerTiger Offline
Human Being
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 21st 2009, 02:34 PM

Dude -- you've got plenty of time to decide who you want to be in life. The only reason you have to decide quickly (and it's a pretty serious one) is because many opportunities will pass you by if you don't. You don't have to know a SPECIFIC field of work you like, just generally which direction you want to go.

As you go through life, it's possible that you won't be able to find a job that you want, and then you'll have to do something completely different!! So don't get hung up on specifics too much. Plus, as you go through university (a grown-up version of high school) your classes will start preparing you for real life, and you'll be more ready mentally to decide what your next step should be.

And rememer that you shouldn't put yourself down on the basis of not knowing for sure what you want to do. Even if you don't do anythin -- you'll end up doing SOMETHING. Haha. But the advantage of getting your feet wet and starting to think things over NOW is that YOU get to decide what you will do in life, and not somebody else!

Myself, I know the direction of where I want to go, but none of the details. So I figure when get to college I'll know more. But you gotta set goals before yourself. You can't just give up and whine about your life. You have to WANT to find your spot in society. You have to WANT to explore your options.

Take care!!

-Tiger

Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive. ~Josephine Hart

PM ME.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I just don't know what's next in my life - July 31st 2009, 09:34 PM

Thank you for the support.
Now i only have some days to decide what i want to gradute in and if will go to university, and of course, the pressure i getting bigger and bigger. Why can't i just know what i want to do?! I know this sound's dramatic, but this is making me so anxious and felling so bad that i wouldn't mind to just drop dead, and this and much more would be solved.
Im getting presure by saying that i should go to university because otherwise i can't find a good job, that i will stay one year doing nothing, and much more.
I know that i should go, and because i want to move away and a degree would help me a lot, but i can't just pick something

Closed Thread