TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Beth

Help a lost cause? - June 9th 2009, 11:41 PM

Hey, this is copied and pasted off of my y!a question because I'm too lazy to even type. Sorry, I don't know why its bold.

I dropped out of school earlier this year because I was suffering from severe depression and I tried to commit suicide a couple of times. It's not that school was so awful, and it wasn't because of something silly like friendship circles, a guy, the work was to hard etc etc.. It just got to the point where I couldn't wake up in the morning and all I wanted to do was sleep all day.
I know how stupid that was, I've always been competent with my school work and now, If I go back I will have to repeat a year. I really wish I hadn't of dropped out. It's to late to reinroll this year.

Anyway, Until next year I have nothing to do. I have a medical certificate that said I could only do part time school or work, but I'm still basically getting away with not working or attending school because my state has a 'earn or learn' law which states I must either be in school or have a full time job.
I still have depression to a certain point but it's not as bad as it was and I feel that staying at home all day either in front of the tv or computer is just making it worse.

I've wanted to get a job for a long time since leaving school but I always come to the same conclusions.

There is absolutely nothing I could put on a resume.
I mean, I haven't had a job, I'm a high school drop out.
Employers would take one look at it and throw it in the rubbish.
I would work anywhere just preferably not somewhere such as McDonald's or kfc.. And this isn't america, job's are not that hard to come by where I live.

So, I have a few questions;
What should I do with my resume? What should I add?
Should I do something to bolster it (Ie volunteer work)?
Which area's would be the most open to hiring someone with NO experience (Retail/food industry?)??

Basically, what the hell do I do? Is this just a lost cause?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Help a lost cause? - June 9th 2009, 11:59 PM

First off, it's good to see that you've come a long way with your depression. I know it's not easy to battle something like depression so you really should feel proud of yourself. [:

Have you ever considered going back to school? You don't have to do any post-secondary school if you really don't want to but getting your high school diploma might open a lot more options for you in terms of potential jobs for you. Do you know what I mean? If you're not ready to go back to school or if you don't want to for some reason, that's okay too.

Employers aren't dumb. They know that young people, sixteen year olds for example, won't have a lot of works experience, thus will present a rather empty resume. You're only sixteen years old; no employer will expect you to have a ton of work experience.

Yes, volunteering is a great thing to put on your resume. Like I said, employers know that young teenagers will not have a lot of work experience. To compensate for that, volunteering is an awesome thing to do. By showing an employer that you dedicate some time to volunteer, it shows that you are a dedicated and responsible individual.

You're definitely not a lost cause. I'm not familiar with how the job market is in your area so I could answer your last question according to my own city. The food industry, in conjunction with retail, are always hiring. The thing is, you'll have to start at the bottom because you're 1) young and 2) have no work experience.

Once you get your foot in the door, even though you'll initially start off at the bottom, you'll eventually climb the latter of seniority and eventually (hopefully) land a job that you really enjoy. Remember, nothing is impossible nor is it ever too late to do something that you want to do. Good luck with everything. [:

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Help a lost cause? - June 10th 2009, 04:02 PM

Hey Ellen :]

You're only 16, and you're not a lost cause at all. When I was 16, I had nothing to put on my resume as well. There will definitely be opportunities for you, so just keep looking.

I took a quick look at a volunteering organization resources website in Tasmania. It looks like there are plenty of opportunities available to you. Volunteering in itself is a rewarding experience. You are able to contribute to the community for a positive cause, and you expose yourself to new situations. I do suggest that looking into it would be a great idea :]

Volunteering Tasmania - Volunteering & community organisations - Resources

I would say that in my area, that fast food and grocery stores are the most likely companies that will hire young people with very little work experience. If you have a good availability now because you are out of school, employers will probably take that into good consideration as well.

Closed Thread