TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Psychology - June 13th 2009, 06:12 PM

Is it true that if you have seen some sort psychiatric help, you can't become a professional counsellor yourself?

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Psychology - June 13th 2009, 06:17 PM

That is a blatant lie. I've spoken to many, many Psychologists and Psychiatrists because I am looking to study Psychology in university. In fact, it is actually recommended that one who is looking to be a mental health professional seeks counseling and therapy themselves.

We all have problems. Mental health professionals deal with problems and issues every day. Some of it, issues regarding self-harm for example, may be triggering for some people. If you're a Psychologist and self-harm is a trigger for you, it is recommended that you deal with that issue beforehand - hence why the counseling and therapy is strongly recommended.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some graduate schools for Psychology that actually make attending personal counseling and therapy a requirement in order to graduate and eventually move on to becoming a mental health professional.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: Psychology - June 13th 2009, 07:07 PM

Only as much as having a disorder would bar you from any other profession.
My psychiatrist has an anxiety disorder so...don't think so.

Live and let live.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Psychology - June 13th 2009, 07:14 PM

No, because it's compulsary for counsellors and therapists to go to counselling themselves, otherwise can you imagine the effect the build-up of other people's issues would have on them after a while?¿ Also, my first counsellor told me she suffered from depression herself before, and I'm pretty sure she sought professional help.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Psychology - June 13th 2009, 07:39 PM

Nope! And in fact, a lot of psychologist/psychiatrists chose that profession because they were in therapy themselves. It feels rewarding to be "giving back" kind of, you know? Someone who was in therapy for anxiety, let's say, might choose to become a therapist who specializes in anxiety because they want to help others through their same experiences. Very often it's those individuals who have gone through something, who are able to best relate to others!

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Psychology - June 13th 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Faith* View Post
Is it true that if you have seen some sort psychiatric help, you can't become a professional counsellor yourself?
This is not completely true. If you have some debilitating disorder where it impairs your function greatly, then you probably cannot become a counselor. However, many counselors, therapists, psychiatrist, psychologists, etc... go through some therapy so they can have experience on both sides of the fence. Some may have battled a certain disorder in the past and now they may wish to help those still suffering.

But to say that if you have received any form of help then that prevents you from practicing that job is a pile of horseshit.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Psychology - June 14th 2009, 12:58 AM

Not at all. Infact, one of the best clinical Psychologists int he world, Kay-Redfield Jamison is herself someone with bipolar disorder.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Psychology - June 14th 2009, 03:18 AM

Who told you that? As the others have said, nope. I actually worried about the same thing but then I looked it up on the internet and talked to my therapist and found out the truth.

As some have said, it is recommended and sometimes required that people wanting to become counselors go to therapy for themselves. First to see how the process works and also to get help if they need it.

I've talked to a lot of therapists and a few have said that 'when a person has experience in the mental health field they are better able to understand and help people who are going through the same thing' (not that people who haven't suffered from mental illness or whatever can't be good psychologists)

But, if you are suffering from something 'debilitating' that might make your job as a counselor harder(might make you less objective) than a person might want to step down and take time to deal with their problems.

But, I am sure you are getting the help you need and I am sure that your illness will not impede your ability to be a good counselor who helps others.

I wish you luck and if you want to talk some more feel free to pm me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Psychology - June 14th 2009, 10:35 AM

As has been said, no it doesn't affect you getting the Job. I think though that if you were currently suffereng from something though you might not be able to be one at that time as it would trigger you etc. As far as Im aware if you have recovered from your condition then you should be fine but you could always check it out wiht a careers advisor?

PM // VM

(#10 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Re: Psychology - June 14th 2009, 01:15 PM

No that isn't true at all! Many people who have been through difficult things decide that they want to help other people. I think that your own experiences can be used to an advantage once you have got through them because you are much more able to understand what people are going through. Best of luck with what you choose!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Psychology - June 14th 2009, 01:21 PM

There are many organisations who offer counselling who only employ people who have been through that themselves. As in, the organisation I was looking at for counselling only employed people who had themselves experienced CSA. So, sometimes it can actually be the opposite.

It's good that you're asking around about such things. If psychology and counselling are areas that you're interested in it could even be worth speaking to a counsellor and asking them first hand anything you want to know.

Closed Thread