TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Triple Major? - June 18th 2009, 03:51 PM

I'm actually seriously considering picking up another major, but I'm not really sure yet...I'm thinking either History or Philosophy.

Right now, I'm a double major in Sociology and Criminal Justice, with a minor in Criminology. All these subjects are very related, so it was pretty easy to double major. And I pretty much abused the course-overlap stuff. As a matter of fact, I'll actually satisfy all requirements for these majors in only 5 semesters (two and a half years). I'll be done with them this fall.

So right now I'm considering maybe taking up another major, as well as getting an internship hopefully this fall/winter. I'll be working, as well as studying.

I'll certaintly talk to an advisor this fall, but I want to know all of your thoughts on this? Do you think it's a waste of time? Should I just graduate early instead?

Edit: I'll also admit, I feel like taking up another major because I don't really feel ready to graduate just yet....

Last edited by Lugez; June 18th 2009 at 03:58 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Triple Major? - June 18th 2009, 04:19 PM

Well I don't know much about majors and minors but if you think you can keep up with all the work and you're school/college/university lets you then go for it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Triple Major? - June 19th 2009, 03:36 AM

I'm curious about this university or college you're attending, as finishing up one major in that short of a time is rather unusual, nevermind two along with a minor. Is this a 2-year program or a 4-year one?

If you talk to the advisor, try to go for talking to a professor advisor, as the advisors who are in the registrar's office usually don't provide much meaningful insight, a few may but in my experience, they were a waste of time.

The history could go well with studies of crime and crimonology of the past, whereas philosophy could go for ethics, some law and it could tie in a bit with the criminology and crime also. Both history and philosophy can go well with sociology.

Just for thought, psychology could fair well for criminology and sociology: for crimonology, there is forensic psychology, abnormal, personality, etc... . For sociology, there is social psychology, developmental psychology (for both), etc.. .

Although, if you're wanting to stay in college or university, then why not go for a 4-year program?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Triple Major? - June 19th 2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I'm curious about this university or college you're attending, as finishing up one major in that short of a time is rather unusual, nevermind two along with a minor. Is this a 2-year program or a 4-year one?

If you talk to the advisor, try to go for talking to a professor advisor, as the advisors who are in the registrar's office usually don't provide much meaningful insight, a few may but in my experience, they were a waste of time.

The history could go well with studies of crime and crimonology of the past, whereas philosophy could go for ethics, some law and it could tie in a bit with the criminology and crime also. Both history and philosophy can go well with sociology.

Just for thought, psychology could fair well for criminology and sociology: for crimonology, there is forensic psychology, abnormal, personality, etc... . For sociology, there is social psychology, developmental psychology (for both), etc.. .

Although, if you're wanting to stay in college or university, then why not go for a 4-year program?
My bad, I just realized my post may have been a bit misleading. Why did I say graduate? Well, anyway....

To answer your question, Yes I'm in a 4 year program...

Ok, so first off, in order to graduate from my school you need a total of 128 credits. Both my majors require a completion of only 36 credits EACH. My certain college ALSO requires 36 credits...So for me, this would require 108 credits, right?

However, given all the overlap between the college requirements, and the major requirements, I will be done with all of them in just 88 credits (which will be completed by the end of the fall semester). I can't graduate yet, but I'm done with that area of study. With 88 credits completed, I still need 40 more credits in order to graduate...Hence why I'm considering just taking up another major.

I also wouldn't mind getting those extra 40 credits during the course of two semesters (Spring 2010, Fall 2010). Worse comes to worst, I could just take a couple summer lessons and try to play catch-up from there.

Do I make sense? I have a feeling I'm overlooking something though...Hm...I'll figure it out. It felt good to get it out in writing though because I need to think about it.

Thanks for the advice though.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Triple Major? - June 20th 2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
My bad, I just realized my post may have been a bit misleading. Why did I say graduate? Well, anyway....

To answer your question, Yes I'm in a 4 year program...

Ok, so first off, in order to graduate from my school you need a total of 128 credits. Both my majors require a completion of only 36 credits EACH. My certain college ALSO requires 36 credits...So for me, this would require 108 credits, right?

However, given all the overlap between the college requirements, and the major requirements, I will be done with all of them in just 88 credits (which will be completed by the end of the fall semester). I can't graduate yet, but I'm done with that area of study. With 88 credits completed, I still need 40 more credits in order to graduate...Hence why I'm considering just taking up another major.

I also wouldn't mind getting those extra 40 credits during the course of two semesters (Spring 2010, Fall 2010). Worse comes to worst, I could just take a couple summer lessons and try to play catch-up from there.

Do I make sense? I have a feeling I'm overlooking something though...Hm...I'll figure it out. It felt good to get it out in writing though because I need to think about it.

Thanks for the advice though.
Your college or university still is rather confusing. For me, my majors require courses from each level or year and you can only do a set amount in each year. Also, many of them are 0.5 credits.

The part I'm not understanding is how do you get to take so many credits in such a short amount of time and how many credits are each course worth? For me, each are worth minimum of 0.5, maximum of 1.0, and a major varies from 13-15 or so credits. I'm in a double major right now also, and you can take only 12 credits per year. However, you either need special permission to enter a course you don't have the prereqs for, even if you're taking them or you wait until you're in the appropriate year or so.

I'm also confused on this. If both majors need 36 credits each, how did you manage to get an additional 16 to make it 88 total credits?

For me, a semester is half a year, some courses are full credits, thus they take the whole school year (both semesters). I'm lost as to how you manage to get 40 credits in 2 semesters, unless semesters are defined differently than what I'm used to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Triple Major? - June 20th 2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
The part I'm not understanding is how do you get to take so many credits in such a short amount of time and how many credits are each course worth? For me, each are worth minimum of 0.5, maximum of 1.0, and a major varies from 13-15 or so credits. I'm in a double major right now also, and you can take only 12 credits per year. However, you either need special permission to enter a course you don't have the prereqs for, even if you're taking them or you wait until you're in the appropriate year or so.
I'm not sure about his, but at the university I go to, we have much the same system as your describing, except we put bigger numbers to the courses. Half courses (your 0.5 credits) are worth 3 credits, and full courses (1 credits for you) are worth 6 credits. It all amounts to the same amount of hours and course work.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Triple Major? - June 20th 2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I'm not sure about his, but at the university I go to, we have much the same system as your describing, except we put bigger numbers to the courses. Half courses (your 0.5 credits) are worth 3 credits, and full courses (1 credits for you) are worth 6 credits. It all amounts to the same amount of hours and course work.
Hmm, that's odd, why do they make it 3 and 6 credits? perhaps that is similar for Lugez. But how long is a semester for you? Is 1 semester a 1/2 an academic year?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Triple Major? - June 20th 2009, 02:02 PM

We have winter session, divided into term 1 (early September to late December) and term 2 (January to April). Summer session has term 1 May through July, and term 2 July to late August.

I honestly have no idea why they put the larger numbers to the courses. I guess it's the system they've been using for a while, and it works for them.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

Closed Thread