TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

am i the only one? - June 19th 2009, 11:38 PM

who has absolutely no idea what they want to do with their future?

it's really starting to piss me off. everyone keeps saying, "oh what do you want to do at uni?" or "what career do you want?" and i'm like arrghhh i have no idea.

school are stressing at us saying that we need to make sure we don't narrow down our options by picking a levels that don't go together. i'm just like..

i get stressed quite easily, but woah its really annoying.

so yeahh.. anyone else just going through the motions with school but don't actually have a clue what you want to do?.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: am i the only one? - June 20th 2009, 12:00 AM

I'll be applying to university in November, so I'm pretty nervous about that. Everyone is already talking about university and it can indeed become really stressful at times.

You're in England and I'm in Canada but higher level education systems generally work in the same way. We're literally forced into choosing the path for our future at 15 and 16 years old, when we're in grade ten. Grade eleven is when the courses start to branch out and specialize. We need to ensure that we meet all pre-requisites for university programs. This is very early on to be considering such a thing.

Personally, I think the system has many flaws. It forces young students into doing things that they don't really want to do, but do it because they don't know any better nor have any experience with such a large decision. 15 or 16 years old is way too early to make that kind of decision.

That's one of the main reasons why the average university student changes his/her major about 3-4 times during the course of their undergraduate degree. In practically all universities world-wide, first year of undergraduate is more of a general year. You don't really specialize in anything at this time.

Of course, you'll separate the science students and the arts students but not by much. For instance, if you're planning on majoring in Marine Biology for your undergraduate degree, you'll most-likely start off in a general first year science program along with those wanting to be doctors, scientists, etc. As you get into the upper years of your undergraduate degree, you'll begin to specialize more and more.

The first year, even first two years, are designed so that the student can explore his/her interests before settling down to a specific major. Students are 17 or 18 years old when they first enter university. They're still trying to figure out who they are and what they want out of life. By presenting the students with the opportunity to be so general and take a vast majority of courses (most universities require several courses outside of your intended major) in order to help the students find out this information.

I know it can be a really stressful time for you, believe me, I feel your pain. A word of advice? Don't do anything for anybody else. Whatever you do, make sure you do it for yourself. Many parents try very hard to influence their childrens' decisions when it comes to this type of thing. My parents tried to influence me to get into business. I don't want to, so I am not going to. I don't think I'll be happy in that program.

It's important that you do what you want to do. Have a dream? Go for it. It's so important that you do this. You will be the most successful at something you enjoy rather than at something you took just to please your parents or somebody else. Does that make sense? Yeah you have to start picking your courses and everything but remember that there is always a way to change - even once you're in university.

The possibilities are endless. No doors will close as long as you're willing to put in a lot of effort and are highly motivated. Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: am i the only one? - June 20th 2009, 08:39 PM

Yup. I have absolutely no idea. The whole education process is so long and daunting and it's just put me right off actually wanting a career, as weird as that sounds.

Ideally i'd like to do something creative as that's where my passions lie, but the courses are all so structured and it's really annoying,and it's just put me off wanting to persue a career in the arts. For A-levels i plan on doing English Combined, Fine Art and Pyschology and then for Uni, i will probably pick English as art courses at Uni are very demanding but then again it depends how well i do on my A-level subjects. But really, i've never actually known from the "offset" what i want to be. All my friends are like, 'i wanna do this, wanna do that' and i'm just like....how do you KNOW? Seriously..i'm one of the most indecisive people ever and i can't stick to one thing.

Sorry if i haven't even helped you out, just wanted to let you know i'm in the same boat tbh.
x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: am i the only one? - June 20th 2009, 09:03 PM

I have no idea either and I'm meant to have practically chosen my course by now.
I know that I want to be a counsellor, but I wouldn't bother going to university for a counselling degree, so I have no idea what I want to do at university.
Prospects are something photography based, french, psychology....I have no idea.
I'd like to do psychology but I'd never be able to do it. I fancy being a french teacher, but I've only wanted that this week haha, I swear my decision changes every week.
I must've chosen like 20 different careers the past couple of months and that's not even an exaggeration.

So yeah, basically I haven't got a clue.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: am i the only one? - June 20th 2009, 09:26 PM

Haha! I feel the same way, I constantly keep changing my mind. Some of the time, I didn't pick the right A Levels for some of the things I want to do.
How can we expect to decide our future when you're so young?!

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: am i the only one? - June 21st 2009, 04:31 AM

How is anyone supposed to know before you get out there and try it?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: am i the only one? - June 21st 2009, 02:27 PM

I had no idea what to do at your age either. The trick is to just follow your gut feeling and do whatever you like.

As for me, I still don't really have a set idea either, but at least I have a field I want to go into. So yeah, most people aren't exactly set on something yet. So don't worry, you're not alone.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: am i the only one? - June 21st 2009, 02:45 PM

I have a choice of 3 for me and thankfully they all tie in with each other so I don't have to worry about if I've chosen the right A Levels.

Earlier in the year though I wanted to be a chef and now I want to be something completely different so yeah, I'll probably change my mind several more times before I apply for Uni.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: am i the only one? - June 22nd 2009, 11:47 AM

I am the exact same way, I really don't know what to do, but I suppose that is what college is for!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: am i the only one? - June 22nd 2009, 12:10 PM

I went with Subjects I liked/excelled at (both came together for me) and found a career choice that way, rather than pick a career and put subjects in place to get that. As most likely you will change your mind.

What subjects do you like most?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: am i the only one? - June 24th 2009, 10:02 PM

I'm a senior in college and I still don't know what I want to do as a "career". There ate so many things I want to do, but nothing I see myself doing for 40 years.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
in/flux Offline
Average Joe

Re: am i the only one? - June 25th 2009, 07:01 PM

I'm coming up to 20 and I still haven't a clue what career I'd like in the future. Not even a vague idea!

I agree that it's probably best just to go with what interests you most at this stage. For example, I decided on an English Lit. and Philosophy joint degree at university simply because those subjects interested me most out of all the other degress on offer. I think that as time goes on you'll likely find that you'll develop an idea of where you might want to head towards. Bear in mind too, though, that lots of people pick their courses with a specific career in mind but later on realise that it's not what they want, after all. It can be a hassle having to switch subjects but it's really not the end of the world. It's also true, I think, that a substantial proportion of graduates from university don't even go on to use their degree in their chosen 'field' but end up doing something different career-wise.

Having a nice variety of subjects at A level can actually work quite well if you're unsure of what degree you might like to do at uni. Obviously if you're looking towards the medical field then the A levels you choose are important. However, in many cases they don't actually matter too much. For example, I did Biology, Psychology, Sociology and English Lit. and they seemed to complement each other nicely, despite some being from quite different areas. What I'm saying is, taking a mix can mean that you're not very limited in terms of your options when deciding on uni courses, if that's the route you want to go down.

Ultimately, I wouldn't worry about not being sure too much. After all, it's probably worse to pick a career or subjects in desperation or on a spur of the moment decision than just to go for what interests you most. Go for what you think you'll do best in and what interests you. Sometimes it can be a good thing to keep your options open.

Closed Thread