TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
unlovedlady Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Should I just leave? - June 23rd 2009, 02:06 PM

I work only 1-6 or 2-6. It takes awhile to a lot of things. For example Friday I worked 1-6. I came in and started set up, which is dough, rolls and bagels. I work in a bakery at a grocery store. It took about an hour to set up the bagels and rolls and someone else did the dough and set it up for two days. I started on setting up cookies. It was two boxes, 24 on each try. 24 containers total. I did that took about 45 minutes. Then I packaged the lemon and key lime meringue pies and put them out since they are on sale. Then I packed up the cookies and put them out. Then came back and did bundt cakes. It was around 4:30 when I started that. I got done all of it at 6:25. 25 Minutes after I was suppose to leave. If I had the close that day I would of left at least at 7pm. Set up takes 1-2 hours depending how much we need, used, and have left over. Rolls and Bagels are pretty basic 15-20 of each. With all of that said my boss wants me to spend like thirty minutes on the floor. For the last week I heard from co-workers that my boss has been complaining and even have left me a note. I try my best but my boss puts to much on me to close each night. She has problems with the floor and mopping. I only have about twenty minutes to mop and sweep a kitchen that could be easily transformed into a three bedroom apartment and maybe a bath plus a half. She even said to my co-workers that she is going to suspend w/o pay. If I try to talk to her I'll end up crying because I am so angry over everything and tired of people wanting me to do so much in such little time. And yes I know about the the economy and yes I know I am lucky to have a job but if they are talking about me and my job and only two people close at different times I am willing to walk. Its not right to squeeze a seven-six hour work day in 4-5 hour shift. I also have to deal with my other co-worker who is extremely sloppy and leave the place a mess a half an hour before I leave.

If I do leave or get fired I am enrolled in college and just need to get my financial aid in for review. Then I'll just do work study and use the financial aid money to move.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Linz Offline
Life Is About Making Mistakes
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lindsay

Re: Should I just leave? - June 23rd 2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlovedlady View Post

If I do leave or get fired I am enrolled in college and just need to get my financial aid in for review. Then I'll just do work study and use the financial aid money to move.

In your best interest, I would say no, don't leave your school, your education always has to come before work (in most cases, unless it's the only funding option you have to keep up with your education). I'm not saying that work isn't important, it may very well be a necessity for you, as it is for most college students. But there will always be other jobs with different bosses, even in this economy. I've been looking for a few months, but I have gotten several offers nonetheless.
Let me put it this way, I'm sure you don't want to work in the career type you're working with now forever right? In order to get out of that, you need a degree. (Which I'm sure you know).

You're situation sounds really difficult, as I'm sure it is so, but if talking camly and rationally with your boss doesn't work, just remember there are other options besides leaving your school.
  Send a message via AIM to Linz  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I just leave? - June 24th 2009, 10:00 PM

If you're not able to do the work required by your boss in the limited time that you can work, then maybe you should consider looking for an alternative job. I don't think it would be worth it to get fired over this, since it's not your fault that you don't have the availability you need to really do the job your boss is asking you to do. If your boss isn't willing to be flexible with your responsibilities in the availability you have, then it's probably best to find a job where you can do what needs to be done in the time you can work.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Re: Should I just leave? - June 26th 2009, 11:49 PM

I know you said you would get upset, but why don't you just talk to your boss? As your boss, I think it is highly unprofessional for him/her to be talking behind your back to other employee's. That is nuts! (I know, it happens.)

Otherwise, if it is just too much stress for you than I suggest leaving. Like someone else said, it is not worth getting fired over. Because getting fired from ANYWHERE looks terrible to future employers. Best of luck!

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.

Closed Thread