TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

U.S university requirements? - June 29th 2009, 07:55 PM

Hey. I'm going to apply to some Universities in the U.S in December and can't seem to find a website to guide me about the requirements. I'm not from the U.S. First of all, I did my O levels and I'm doing A levels right now and I know in U.S its high school. Do O'level grades matter? I did it privately and got 3 bs and 3 ds. I'm probably going to go the the business side but I hadn't given the O' level math exam. Is it required? I'm planning on giving my SAT's soon. Are they compulsary for all Colleges? Thank you so much!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: U.S university requirements? - June 29th 2009, 08:41 PM

Well...I'm not an American [I'm Canadian] but I'm a university nerd so I know how to answer your questions. :P

You'll definitely need the SATs if you want to apply to American universities. I think it's safe to say that practically every single one [if not, every single one] requires an SAT score. They are offered several times per year in quite a few different locations. Check out this link to find a test centre near you.

Have you already begun researching different American universities? There are just so many different universities and college in the United States. You may want to have a look at this link that will help you narrow down a few American universities.

Compile a list of factors that are important to you. This list may include things like reputation, cost, distance away from home, city, etc. Once you've come up with this kind of list, make a list of universities that meet your specific criteria. Making a list of American universities that you will eventually apply to is a long, tedious task. All universities have just so much to offer!

For additional information, have a look at this link and this link. Good luck with everything!

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: U.S university requirements? - June 29th 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Well...I'm not an American [I'm Canadian] but I'm a university nerd so I know how to answer your questions. :P

You'll definitely need the SATs if you want to apply to American universities. I think it's safe to say that practically every single one [if not, every single one] requires an SAT score. They are offered several times per year in quite a few different locations. Check out this link to find a test centre near you.

Have you already begun researching different American universities? There are just so many different universities and college in the United States. You may want to have a look at this link that will help you narrow down a few American universities.

Compile a list of factors that are important to you. This list may include things like reputation, cost, distance away from home, city, etc. Once you've come up with this kind of list, make a list of universities that meet your specific criteria. Making a list of American universities that you will eventually apply to is a long, tedious task. All universities have just so much to offer!

For additional information, have a look at this link and this link. Good luck with everything!
Actually, not all US colleges and universities require standardized test scores. Many liberal arts colleges don't require you to send in standardized test scores. However, no college requires you to take the SAT- you can take either the SAT or the ACT, although I don't know if the ACT is available internationally.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: U.S university requirements? - June 29th 2009, 10:37 PM

This is a list of the top 27 universities which don't require any standardized testing. I don't recognize any of the universities on the list, to be honest.

According to my guidance counselor and a few admissions counselors (American) that I've spoken to, the majority of the accredited (and universities with a half-decent reputation) require some form of standardized testing - whether it be the SATs or ACT. Keep in mind that some universities will not take the ACT and will accept the SATs only.

SUP BRO.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: U.S university requirements? - June 29th 2009, 11:53 PM

I don't know what state you are going but in California in the UC system... http://www.universityofcalifornia.ed...ject_reqs.html

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: U.S university requirements? - June 29th 2009, 11:59 PM

The best thing you can do is look at individual colleges and their websites, since most will list their requirements, tests they require, etc. They will also have information on how they accommodate international students and ways to make your travels as easy as possible.

Like it was suggested, it will definitely help to have an idea of what you want/don't want from a university. You'll be less overwhelmed with all the potential colleges.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: U.S university requirements? - June 30th 2009, 06:21 AM

It really depends on which schools you're looking into.
-Standardized test scores are a big one - depending on the school, you can do either SAT or ACT. For the most part, it's either/or, but some schools (usually the higher ranked ones) require SAT. One school's site I looked at said standardized test scores were only required if the international student completed less than 30 hours of collegiate level coursework. I don't think this is the same across the board.
-Your official transcripts. Basically, a record of all of your secondary level courses, grades, etc.

That's the most basic I can get. As you're looking at the schools you like, give their Admissions department a call or send them an e-mail. A lot of their International Admissions information can be found on their websites and they may direct you to the site, but most Admissions people are happy to tell you what you'll need to have or get someone to stay in contact with you and walk you through the process.
Admission shouldn't be THAT different from US resident to International students. If you're confused, call 'em!

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Closed Thread