TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Extremely confused - July 2nd 2009, 04:38 AM

Alright, I'm really stressing out about university. I'm a Canadian high school student and I have to apply to university this coming November. I'm literally going from one extreme to another - and I'm completely stressing out.

I have a fairly decent grade average and I have no doubt that my grade average will be above 90% in grade twelve. That would practically guarantee me entry to any university in the country - plus scholarships.

My parents would prefer that I stayed in town for university but that is definitely not an option. I want to move away for university for sure. The problem is - where? I have two very extreme options:

1) Go to a less prestigious university (a low-ranked one) and get a lot in scholarship money.

2) Go to a very prestigious university (a top-ranked one) and get substantially less in scholarship money.

Money is pretty tight and university will definitely be tough to pay for. I'm relying on scholarships, loans and money I'm saving from work. I'm working *a lot* this summer - practically ten hours a day plus four more on selected days as I am working two jobs.

I intend on going to graduate school or law school following my undergraduate degree. That means that where I get my undergraduate degree doesn't matter. This makes my decision very difficult because that basically means that even if I go to the worst university in the country, I could go to the best graduate school in the country.

Another thing is that I may want to go to the USA for graduate school. I don't know if they look at the prestige of your undergraduate school when considering you for graduate school but from what I know, I don't think they do. I think they look at your GRE scores and your GPA.

I'm just really confused and I don't know what to do. I only have a few months to decide and I just have SO many options. =/

SUP BRO.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Extremely confused - July 2nd 2009, 01:20 PM

I wish I could give better advice but the thing is I just live so far away and have no experience of the Canadian education system that i just wouldn't be knowing what I was saying.
But from reading your two options, I really think you should go for the second one. You sound like a very bright person with plenty of academic potential. Ok, so money might be tighter if you go to a higher-ranking university, but in the long run i think you will appreciate it so much better. It will work you harder and ensure you develop further to your potential and will enable you to do successfully in the future.
Is there any way you could get a day job or evening job or SOME kind of part-time job during the year to maybe try and help a little with funds?
Once again, sorry I couldn't be better help, but I hope you make the right choice, whatever works out for you. xox

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Extremely confused - July 2nd 2009, 10:45 PM

I would go with option 2. If money is tight for your family, then what you lack in scholarships can be made up for in bursaries and student loans. Living off of loans is hardly ideal, can get really stressful, and money can get tight, but it is do-able. You can also consider part time jobs during the school year. If you're relying on student loans, you do want to be careful with working though - I can only give you my experience from Ontario's loan system (OSAP), but if you're earning money, your loans can decrease substantially, and sometimes a part-time job isn't necessarily enough to make up the difference. It won't necessarily be the case with you, but you would want to look into that kind of thing.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Extremely confused - July 2nd 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I would go with option 2. If money is tight for your family, then what you lack in scholarships can be made up for in bursaries and student loans. Living off of loans is hardly ideal, can get really stressful, and money can get tight, but it is do-able. You can also consider part time jobs during the school year. If you're relying on student loans, you do want to be careful with working though - I can only give you my experience from Ontario's loan system (OSAP), but if you're earning money, your loans can decrease substantially, and sometimes a part-time job isn't necessarily enough to make up the difference. It won't necessarily be the case with you, but you would want to look into that kind of thing.

Did you go to university in Ontario? And how would I go about looking into this kind of thing?

SUP BRO.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Extremely confused - July 3rd 2009, 12:03 AM

I went to high school in Ontario, but I go to university in BC - since I was an Ontario student, and my family still lives in Ontario, I'm eligible for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program). You apply for OSAP on their website or with a paper application. This is the website showing their eligibility requirements:

https://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secur...ig_req_123.htm

And this is the link for applying:

https://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/App_ftapp_123.htm

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

Closed Thread