TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lorilou Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lori

SO SICK of being the 'fill in person' - July 20th 2009, 04:48 PM

I just worked 48 hours this week - at a job that's supposed to be PART TIME.

And to be perfectly honest, I am sick of all the bull that is going on. There is one person in my section who consistently does not show up for work, and most times he doesn't even call in - he just doesn't show up. I'm not talking about once or twice .. I swear he didn't show up for 10 or 11 shifts straight - and he isn't fired ! So, since he doesn't come in, of course somebody has to cover for him and I'm sick of it. The manager doesn't say anything to him. I hate being on my ONE day off and getting called in.

Another thing that has been happening - yet another employee decides she can't work ebcause of some big, important event the day before it happens. She often gets sent home early because she doesn't do anything productive at work so there is no point in her being there. I got a call to work last Saturday morning because she had 'called in sick', only I learned later on she wasn't sick at all ! She called today and wanted me to work tomorrow, after I had told her I couldn't because I had a doctors appointment at 10:45 and she continued to harass me about it until I said NO.

I am done taking shifts for people who can't even be bothered to give anybody notice about how they're not going to be there. It's not fair.

I have way too much responsibility on my shoulders right now. I am bouncing between two sections at work, working my hardest, but I want time off. Only I can't have time off because we don't have enough people working, and she just can't 'get around' to hiring anyone else, at the moment. What do I do in this situation? I've already expressed my problem to the manager, and she hasn't done ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: SO SICK of being the 'fill in person' - July 20th 2009, 07:15 PM

Work can certainly be very difficult at times and sometimes, there really isn't anything that you can do about it. However, are you getting paid time and a half for the extra hours that you're working. There are several laws when it comes to working as many hours as you are. I've been working 45-55 hours a week as well and my mom has brought up a ton of laws that they aren't necessarily obeying.

Look on the government website for your area and see if you can find any laws that pertain to your current situation. Aside from that, you need to think about this. How badly do you need this job? Unfortunately, jobs are not easy to come by in the current state of the economy, especially a job that provides you with as many hours as you're getting. There are certainly pros and cons to working a lot of hours. You just need to find out which side outweighs the other.

Think about it and perhaps you can talk with your manager again or even have a word with the individuals who are constantly calling in sick and whatnot. No, it's not fair but unfortunately, life is usually not fair. You will meet so many people that will literally just scrape their way by without doing any work. That same person may get a promotion over you, a hard-worker. Life is unfair in that sense. If you can handle it, keep going. If not, don't feel the need to stay and kill yourself.

This is a personal decision that you need to make on your own. You will always
encounter people like this, no matter where you are. It sucks, yes, but it's life.

SUP BRO.

Closed Thread