TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxdesixxemii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rachana

teacher - January 18th 2009, 04:55 PM

well i wanna be teacher when i am older...my mom is now starting to kinda aprove...if there are any teachers reading this or w.e can u pls give me some kinda advice.. pls thanks

My best friend in the whole world is emily (a.k.a em[ily]). I can tell her everything and shes an amazingly AWSOMEEE person!! You all should get to know her :P
  Send a message via AIM to xxdesixxemii  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: teacher - January 18th 2009, 06:58 PM

Hey,
I'm not a teacher or anything, but i've got friends who want to go into that profession and I can tell you a bit of what they've done. In my highschool you can do a course called peer teaching, where you can go into a class, and help the teacher out, and teach a couple lessons or so, and see if you like it. There's also co-op, where you go out of the school and into another school to teach with a younger grade. I'm not sure if you've got those kind of courses at your school, but if you do, try it and see if you like it! If not, most of the work to become a teacher is in university/college.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: teacher - January 18th 2009, 09:19 PM

I'm not a teacher, but it is a great profession. Not to mention, it is one of the most needed, at least in many parts of the U.S.

Have you ever thought of volunteering at an elementary school or preschool as a student aid? It could be for a couple of hours in the afternoon and you could help out with younger kids. I think almost any kind of volunteering that involves helping and/or teaching children will help you on your way to becoming a teacher. Besides that, you could speak to some of your teachers at school and see if they have any advice for you. Also, definitely keep your grades up in school and major in Education when you enter college (Education is a very broad and flexible major, so there are many fields within an Education major to choose from).

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxdesixxemii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rachana

Re: teacher - January 20th 2009, 07:43 PM

Hey thanks guys. Yeah I will be next year probably helping out at a SAC which is an after school daycare..

My best friend in the whole world is emily (a.k.a em[ily]). I can tell her everything and shes an amazingly AWSOMEEE person!! You all should get to know her :P
  Send a message via AIM to xxdesixxemii  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
KnightSniper Offline
Supreme Geek
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: teacher - January 22nd 2009, 07:45 PM

Teacher-in-training here

The best thing you can do right now is to do as the others say and volunteer in different grade levels (though for higher levels, you'll probably have to wait until you're older), and see what level you'd most like to work with. Knowing this when you eventually get to college will be EXTREMELY helpful, as changing majors can screw everything up (I've had to stay at my first college an extra year because I accidentally spent my first year in the wrong major, though that's more because I didn't look closely enough at the choices for majors on the application ^_^). If you decide you'd like to work with preschoolers, check and see if the college you'll end up going to has a daycare center on campus like mine does, because you could get a job working as a Teacher's Aide while you're taking classes, earning you money and experience on the side.

Good Luck!

"Remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus."-Kevin Smith, opening of "Dogma"

Closed Thread