TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SavedBythePen Offline
:|
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Belle

Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 2nd 2009, 04:05 PM

This year, I had a choice. I could either go to this really nice public high school, or a neighborhood Catholic high school.

I'm torn on this decision still, even though I picked the public high school. I don't know why, I still don't know if I made the right choice or not.

All my schooling years, I've been going to Catholic school. What is the main differences between Catholic and public schools? High school to be specific. What are the differences, the pros and cons, which do you prefer?

It'd be a big help to me.

I got a pocketful of sunshine.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 2nd 2009, 04:31 PM

Hey

I too have been going to Catholic School from Kindergarten to 8th grade and switched over to Public High School. I could have gone to the Catholic High School, but it was an expense my parents couldn't afford.

The obvious differences is the uniforms and the religious influences. There's usually more people in public schools and even more diversity in public schools as well. People think Catholic Schools are better because they show more prestige, better education, and more connections to Ivy League Schools, but I think otherwise. I have friends who went to amazing schools after graduating from public schools. I earned a great education and the public school I went to had Honors and AP courses to help me get ahead in college. Hence, I think public high schools are just as good as catholic high schools. Public is less of an expense, you can wear whatever you want, and you can be exposed to a number of different beliefs and religions. I was afraid to go to public school when I became a freshman because I thought it would be more dangerous or something, but it turns out I had nothing to be afraid. After graduating, I was accepted to amazing schools: Emerson, Bentley, and Quinnipiac to name a few. Plus, your parents already pay for public schools through taxes, so see their tax dollars at work. You'll do great in public school.

hope this helps!

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 2nd 2009, 05:01 PM

Ok, my advice mightn't be worth that much because I know nothing about schools in the States (and have never been there) but over here a lot of secondary schools are Catholic.
The main notable differences here are that Catholic schools tend to be single-sex, have uniforms of course, and are much more disciplined and stricter.

Although I was raised half-Catholic (my mum is Catholic) I was sent to a (generally) non-denominational school ~ they didn't enforce religious beliefs or anything, but there were two Protestant chaplains and a Church of Ireland Christian Union. Although our school is one in South Dublin which is notorious for loose discipline, etc, I think a lot of public schools are the same...

In public schools there is a wider selection of backgrounds, so that you make friends with people from all areas and from all social classes. I don't know about uniforms for the school you have chosen but we didn't have one in ours after the age of fourteen/fifteen meaning people found it easier to express themselves through their own styles. People found it easier to be themselves and to be open about their lifestyles or (lack of) money and there was less competition than you would find in the Catholic schools.

Anyway, none of this might be relevant, but that's just my experienceof being in a public school. Personally I think you'll have made the right choice. Best of luck. (: xox

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 3rd 2009, 08:05 AM

The main difference I notice is that the Catholic schools tend to be better academically but more difficult socially (very clique-y), while public schools tend to be worse academically but easier socially.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 3rd 2009, 01:41 PM

Private Schools, at least in the areas I have lived, are the schools people thought were so much better. They said the academics were a lot better and you learned more and such but that was just not true. They had done a test of some sort, and most of the students from the private school were failing, they were NOT where they should have been. BUT the two places I have lived in have amazing public schools, better than most other counties and such.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 3rd 2009, 02:46 PM

Up where I live, there are very few private schools around, because our public schools in MA are excellent. If you are going to a wealthy public high school, the experience is great.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 6th 2009, 02:29 AM

I went to Catholic school up until sixth grade and switched over to Public in 7th grade. The main difference? A Catholic school is better in the sense that you will be more sheltered and you're religious beleifs are uncomfortabley intertwined with your education. The work tends to be easier, the people tend to be friendlier if you fit their standards. The big difference is that the heads of the school can do whatever they want, and this can go for the better or for the worse; For instance, you might be able to take more AP classes than a public school offers, or you might not be able to take any, whatsoever. Public school was a lot better for me. Everything's regulated by the state, so your teachers can't go super bitch on you and get away with it, and they have to maintain comfortable standards for the student body, and the state gives them money, so there aren't all these charity drives and whatnot.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 6th 2009, 03:40 AM

is public school the same as state school?

because here a public school is a very prestigious private school.

eh, confused.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 6th 2009, 03:41 AM

Well if public school means prestigious private school in the UK, than yes I think public school means state school in your case.

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 6th 2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
The main difference I notice is that the Catholic schools tend to be better academically but more difficult socially (very clique-y), while public schools tend to be worse academically but easier socially.

Yeah, I've been to a Catholic school all my life and the cliques are very noticeable, also in Catholic schools you have religion as a subject required to graduate.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Re: Public v.s. Catholic High Schools (US students) - August 6th 2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Where i live there are three main catholic high schools one is all girls one is all boys both are veery expensive and then third which is the one i go to and have been for about a year its boys and girls while its expensive its not as much as the other two and there are no cliques whatsoever at my school i dont know why,i suppose it depends.The main reason i dont go to a public school is because all of mine are terrible academically and over crowded practically and at the catholic school you get a more personal the teachers actually care about you kinda feel but really plus smaller classes. i think it depends on the person some do better in different enviroments.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

Closed Thread