TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

stress/panic/motivation - August 5th 2009, 04:18 AM

I could scream!!

I'm a year 12 student (US 12th grade I think?). I really want to get into Auckland University, and I know that it is not an easy task. I want to study biology or geology there. This year I am taking Uni entrance level biology, and year 12 level physics, chemistry, and media studies.

I'm not here to brag, but I am good at biology, my teachers say so, and I enjoy it. The thing is though that i'm not very good and physics, or chemistry, or media studies, but I need to get good marks in all the subjects I take to get Uni entrance. I am just not motivated enough to get on with the other subject's homework.

The exams are in November, and I'm not as far through the phys, chem or media courses as I should be, and I feel like a complete idiot.

Last year, I had my mum pushing me more, so it wasn't the same, as this year she has just left me to get on with it myself. I'm worried that if she realises how rubbishly i've been doing in the other subjects, and not getting on with them, that she'll get really mad at me. I had to take a month off in June, and that threw me off big time. Last year, I was in the top 13%, so I'm expected to keep it up, and I feel like a loser.

The mock/practise exams are in 3 weeks, and I'm panicking.

I've always had bad stress symptoms around exam time every year, but this is the first time it has happend for the mocks. I'm having trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, need a helluva lot more sleep- finding it difficult to get up after a 9 hour sleep, when usually 6-7 hours is plenty. I'm not too worried about Biology, it's everything else that scares me.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Re: stress/panic/motivation - August 5th 2009, 05:55 AM

hello,
ok well i think you just need to take a deep breathe and calm down because stressing out will only make thinks worse, im sure you will be fine just keep trying and do the best you can.Eating and sleeping properly also help you as well.I wish you the best of luck.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: stress/panic/motivation - August 5th 2009, 10:20 PM

Hey,

I can imagine that your mum pressurising you only makes you more stressed. I suppose not having her there doing that can make you feel more relaxed but it can also add stress, which you don't need.

Don't panick though because that will only make things worse. Have you done a revision timetable? It might help to do one because then you can plan all your revision. Not eating or sleeping is only going to add to more stress. It is kind of a vicious circle because when you don't eat it can be more difficult to sleep and then you can do any revision because you don't have the energy. That is why you really need to look after yourself. Perhaps try eating small things regularly. Also I think you need to do some things to relax as well like have a nice bath before going to sleep to unwind or perhaps have a hot drink and listen to some nice music. Just anything that helps you to relax before going to sleep might help you to sleep better. Remember at the end of the day they are only mocks and before the real exams you will improve. Best of luck with it all

Closed Thread