TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alvinc Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 7th 2009, 01:59 AM

In a few weeks I'm going to go to highschool and theres a swimming pool there. I think that we will have to swim in our P.E. classes. I don't know how to swim, so what should I do? My Uncle knows how to swim, so should I ask him to teach me. I just don't want to be embarassed.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 7th 2009, 02:04 AM

Is there really any other thing to do than learn how to swim? It can be a useful skill that I strongly recommend learning for your safety. You can probably take classes but it may be hard at your age. If you can't get someone in your family to teach you you can try talking to someone at the school to see if you can get someone to help you there.

PS: I don't see how being a guy makes any difference whatsoever. Lots of guys never learned how to swim.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 7th 2009, 02:18 AM

Hi,
At my school, you have PE options. Your school might have them, so look into it and speak with your counselor. My school offers a body works class (yoga, and toning) normal PE and body works (works on building muscle).
I understand the embarrassment of taking a city offer course. Maybe you could ask a friend or family to teach you. I really think that would be best. Don't be frustrated if you can't get it at first. I don't think having to be a guy has anything less to do with it. As a member of my school swim team, I think that swimming is a very healthy sport and tones your whole body. Once you learn the very basics, you should be able to swim at school for physical education. They teach you all the different strokes and help you with your breathing.
Good luck! I hope you enjoy swimming.

Last edited by Elizabeth; August 7th 2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Adding something :)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hope...A pretty Fairytale
Average Joe

Name: Caitlyn

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 8th 2009, 01:50 AM

howdy,

You might as well learn. Better to be prepared I always say. you might be able to ask if you have to or not.

Someone save me from myself...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 8th 2009, 03:51 AM

Hey there,

I think learning would be a great idea; just call your uncle and ask him if he would mind teaching you. Not only would it be a great way to learn but it will give you the oppurtunity to spend some quality time with your uncle.

If, for some reason, your uncle can't teach you you could always tell your PE coach that you don't know how to swim and they will usually give you a pass for the weeks or months that you swim. And, no need to feel embarrassed because quite a few people don't know how to swim.

I hope this helped and best of luck.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 8th 2009, 05:41 AM

I don't think there's any reasonable option other than learn to swim. If you don't want to show you cannot swim because you'll be embarassed, then learning to swim is something you can have in order to save yourself, save others or just have fun doing. So if your uncle near-by, then you can have lessons for a few weeks. You probably won't be the next Michael Phelps after those few weeks but at least you can show you have some understanding of how to swim.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lady Luck Offline
luck be a lady
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 8th 2009, 06:40 AM

When my brother and I where about 7 or 8 my dad finally took us for swimming lessons. We were in a class with 3 and 4 year olds. My brother still has trouble swimming and he is almost 17. I can swim just enough to save my life. Dont feel bad that you cant. It can be hard sometimes.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 8th 2009, 12:08 PM

When I started dating my boyfriend he was terrified of water and couldn't swim at all.

One year later and he can swim faster than me.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: I can't swim....and I'm a guy - August 8th 2009, 12:28 PM

Yes, you should ask your uncle to teach you how to swim. I mean, there's no reason not to know how to swim, and I personally think that everyone should no how to swim, because let's face it, at some point or another, it's a skill you're going to need.

Another option would be going to your local YMCA and signing up for a private lesson. I teach swim lessons quite often at my branch, and I've taught multiple people who were terrified of the water before the session to actually swim a whole lap. It's pretty awesome to see, but it's so much harder to teacher an adult to swim than a child to swim - the longer you wait, the more trouble you're going to have.

Good luck with your class. [:

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
Closed Thread