TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Liz

Community College - August 10th 2009, 01:31 AM

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems whenever I tell anyone that I am going to a community college, they look down on me. I never thought of a comm college as a bad thing, and I still don't. I was just wondering if anyone else had an experience like this?

Be soft.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 01:41 AM

There are many people who feel that community colleges are for students who never "tried hard" in high school. This is obviously untrue because there are thousands of American students turning to community colleges now because they are much more affordable than a 4-yr college and there are many, many people who attend a CC and end up at a top university. Honestly, I would just try to ignore those naysayers and focus on your studies. You will be successful whether or not you attend a CC or a 4-yr school right after high school.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hopewashere Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 01:47 AM

I've had that happen to me. I think it's because people build up universities so much. Alot tend to forget that community colleges are just as good and less exspensive. I personally don't find anything wrong with a community college, in fact, I'm starting my first year this fall. The way I see it... go where you want, do what makes you happy. Forget what other people say or think about you going to a community college. There's nothing wrong with it. You get the same things that you would get at universities, just cheaper.

Hope is not lost, just not yet found.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 02:35 AM

Community colleges are generally thought to be less academically-challenging and are oriented for more practical things rather than more intimately understanding why the things work and how they work. It's also something that tends to need lower grades to enter than some universities. People who continue with community colleges generally don't get as detailed of an education as someone enters a university, partially because universities allow you to continue beyond a Bachelor's whereas community colleges don't, in other words, you get lower-level degrees unless you transfer to a university or to a college.

When you compare it, the most american community colleges can offer is an associate's degree or a certificate for some speciality training. A university on the other hand can offer up to a PhD, PsyD, etc.... . Very big difference between sticking out with a little two-year course versus sticking it out to get a doctorate. In the span of two years, you aren't going to learn anywhere near as much so you're more likely to get lower-end jobs unless you inherit a fortune or become an entreprenur.

If you want to earn more respect, then go to a college or to a university. No matter what type of degree you get there, it's bound to lead to you getting more respect than a two-year community college.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 02:39 AM

Well I could care less about earning respect, I'm going to ACC because I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life, and I plan to transfer after 2 years to a uni and finish 2 years.

Be soft.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickingUpThePieces View Post
Well I could care less about earning respect, I'm going to ACC because I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life, and I plan to transfer after 2 years to a uni and finish 2 years.
Well at least you are going to get a Bachelor's degree. But do you think that those two years you're going to figure out what you want to do with your life? Granted, you may not find your answer even at a university but at least a university gives you a more thorough understanding of the concepts.

It may take you more than two years though as at least in Canada, the universities don't tend to accept all the courses you've done so you're probably going to have to re-do them even if you passed them the first time round. So it may take you more than two years to complete.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
If you want to earn more respect, then go to a college or to a university. No matter what type of degree you get there, it's bound to lead to you getting more respect than a two-year community college.
I donít know, I think that is a pretty crappy way at looking at it. I go to a community college and I get the exact same response from other people. But you know what, who cares? I plan on getting my masters one day, this way is just cheaper, and it they think less of me for it, well they donít have to pay my school loans, so honestly I donít care. Just try to look past it. You know what is better for you, donít worry about people thinking less of you for it, or that they are looking down on you. I know sometimes it can be a downer, but it is your life, and you should live it like you want to. And if you plan out your two years with a guidance counselor they can help you take classes that universities will except, so itís not a waste of time or money, in fact, it can save a ton of money if you do it right. So try not to let someone elseís opinion get you down. Just do what is right for you. : )

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 03:01 AM

YourNightmare, That's ok with me because I;m considering social work as a career option. Community college is cheaper, and I do think that at ACC I can take courses that will help me decide what I want to do. I'm planning on only going to college once, so I want to make sure what I get my degrees is what I want to really do.

Be soft.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 05:08 AM

People do tend to think that community college is lesser or something (which is stupid). I think community college is a great alternative to spending lots of money for the same education. You go to community college, get your AA and then move on to a university and get your BA; if you go this route you save so much more money. So, who cares what people think? You know the reasons behind going to a community college are good and what not.

Don't get me wrong; it bothers me when people do it too but after thinking about it the first thing that comes to mind is "I am saving money and still getting a darn good education".

The thing with community colleges too is that you can transfer pretty much any where as long as you get good grades.

Community college is just as good as other colleges and no one should look down on you for furthering your education.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
I donít know, I think that is a pretty crappy way at looking at it. I go to a community college and I get the exact same response from other people. But you know what, who cares? I plan on getting my masters one day, this way is just cheaper, and it they think less of me for it, well they donít have to pay my school loans, so honestly I donít care. Just try to look past it. You know what is better for you, donít worry about people thinking less of you for it, or that they are looking down on you. I know sometimes it can be a downer, but it is your life, and you should live it like you want to. And if you plan out your two years with a guidance counselor they can help you take classes that universities will except, so itís not a waste of time or money, in fact, it can save a ton of money if you do it right. So try not to let someone elseís opinion get you down. Just do what is right for you. : )
Although it may be cheaper, when an employer sees that you took an easier route and got a mere Associate's Degree, along with a Bachelor's and Master's, then that looks worse than seeing just a Bachelor's and Master's. But although it is cheaper, it's cheaper for a reason. You don't get the same quality as you do at a university http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/10/16/parttime.

Yes, she can live her life however she wants to, how she lives it isn't going to affect me. She asked for some opinions on why people look down on community colleges and that is what I responded with.

You can try to plan it out so that the universities will accept your courses, however, I do believe that at least in Canada, it's dependent also on the grades you get in the courses.

Quote:
YourNightmare, That's ok with me because I;m considering social work as a career option. Community college is cheaper, and I do think that at ACC I can take courses that will help me decide what I want to do. I'm planning on only going to college once, so I want to make sure what I get my degrees is what I want to really do.
What is wrong with going to college or university more than once? I've had plenty of adults past their 30s take some courses.

Community college is cheaper but it's cheaper for a reason. http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/10/16/parttime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulDisaster1819
People do tend to think that community college is lesser or something (which is stupid).
What is the highest degree you can get at a community college? An Associate's degree. What can you get at a university? A Bachelor's, a master's and a doctorate. Community colleges are lesser because they don't even give you the lowest degree that a university can give. They're also oriented towards being more applicable, not towards understanding the details.

Quote:
I think community college is a great alternative to spending lots of money for the same education. You go to community college, get your AA and then move on to a university and get your BA; if you go this route you save so much more money. So, who cares what people think? You know the reasons behind going to a community college are good and what not.
You don't get the same education, not by far. You can complete your first two years only, that's not the same education as you can get at a university.

There are good and bad reasons to going to a community college, they're not only good. Even universities have good and bad reasons for attending one. So don't try to make it seem as though there are no bad reasons.

The only good thing that I see with them is you're able to save money. But of course that's leads to a poorer education.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong; it bothers me when people do it too but after thinking about it the first thing that comes to mind is "I am saving money and still getting a darn good education".
You're right, you would be saving money that way but you're taking an easy way around by only getting a degree for two years of education. In university, the first-year is simply introductory, I assume the same goes for community colleges. The second year of university is to introduce some more topics that allow you to begin to diversify. That's where you end at a community college, you get no further education beyond that. It's more than a high-school education but it's less than a college and university education.

[quote=BeautifulDisaster1819]
The thing with community colleges too is that you can transfer pretty much any where as long as you get good grades. [/ quote] You can transfer to other universities or colleges but you're probably going to have to re-do a bunch of courses because it's rare to get all them accepted. But the idea with transfering anywhere applies to universities and colleges also, not only community colleges so I don't see what the point is that you're trying to make.

Quote:
Community college is just as good as other colleges and no one should look down on you for furthering your education.
Just as good? No, it's not. You only do 2 years at a community college and the most you can get is an Associate's Degree. If you go to a real college you can get a Bachelor's. You learn more at a real college than you do at a community college. Both of them further your education but universities and colleges beat community colleges any day of the week.

For your interest, here's a small article: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/10/16/parttime

Last edited by InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU; August 10th 2009 at 05:35 AM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Although it may be cheaper, when an employer sees that you took an easier route and got a mere Associate's Degree, along with a Bachelor's and Master's, then that looks worse than seeing just a Bachelor's and Master's. But although it is cheaper, it's cheaper for a reason. You don't get the same quality as you do at a university http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/10/16/parttime.
I honestly donít think that is true. And neither do these articles.

http://www.colleges.com/admissions/a.../commtech.html
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/arc..._universities/
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...rt/150494.html

~Blessed Be~

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
You don't think that the research from the article I gave is true? What reasons do you have to counter research provided? You cant simply say you think it's false and not give a reason, especially if your articles don't address the question.

Your first link has no research to back any of it up, it's mere opinions with no evidence.

Your second link is off-topic. It comments on the CCSSE and the NSSE, both of which are surveys of how much students engage in the class. That is not what my article was about and I'll admit, a university has larger classes, hence, a lower student to professor ratio. But is that the only way of assessing the effectiveness of the teaching? No.

Your third link contradicts your first link. The third links says specifically that the students regularly meet the academic advisors, making sure you're on track, etc... . Your first link says the opposite. As for the rest of your third link, it gives information which is irrelevant, such as some names of famous people who attended community colleges. What good is that to show that the community college is better than a college or university? It does no good at all.

Look over your sources, two of them have no evidence and they contradict each other. Your other source attempts to show that the amount of student engagement is the only factor for deciding whether universities or community colleges provide a better education. I can think of a few more deciding factors and I'm sure you can also.

Also, none of your sources refuted mine.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 05:53 AM

I guess for now we are just going to have to agree to disagree, as I do not wish to go off topic from the OP. If you want, you should start a thread in the debates forum. As for this thread, let’s stay on topic for now. : )

~Blessed Be~

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I guess for now we are just going to have to agree to disagree, as I do not wish to go off topic from the OP. If you want, you should start a thread in the debates forum. As for this thread, letís stay on topic for now. : )
It still is on-topic, it's merely providing some more explanations for why a community college is seen as something lesser (which indeed it is lesser) than a university or college.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
friendable Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 11:22 AM

YourNightmare, do you honestly not understand that most people who go to a community college then transfer to a university? Your entire line of reasoning seems to be that you can only get an associates degree at a community college. Yes, that's true, but the majority of people who go to community colleges, especially right out of high school, don't end their education there.

I can only speak for myself about why I'm choosing to go to a community college, but it makes sense for my situation. My state scholarship covers 100% of the tuition of a community college but only 75% of that of a public university. And if I had wanted to go to a private university, it would have covered approximately $3,000 out of the $20,000 or so cost of tuition. My parents canít afford to help me pay for college, and going into a lot of debt over this seems like a waste.

Everyone Iíve met at my community college so far has been nothing but friendly and helpful. The university in my town, on the other hand, is known for having classes so large that itís impossible to get any help from an actual professor. There are several classes where a professor is recorded during the first class and then shown on tape to all of the subsequent classes that day, with about 400 students in each class. I also knew a very intelligent girl who was one of very few to pass a Calculus class with over 1000 people in one room, watching a professor on a projector. I struggle with some math and I canít imagine that I would succeed in a class like that. I also know multiple people who were unable to complete their degree within four years because they were given bad advice about which courses to take from counselors who were responsible for too much to be concerned about one student. That doesnít sound at all like a better learning experience to me.

I am going to transfer to a university after I get an associates degree (which guarantees me acceptance to a public university in Florida), but I donít see the point in worrying about what people think of me for going to a community college in the meantime. I also donít see how coming into a thread where someone is looking for reassurance or at least a reasonable justification and saying that a community college is inherently worse than a university and that its students donít actually deserve any respect is helpful.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 03:03 PM

Okay, I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath here :].
I am choosing community college becasue I do not know what I want to do with my life, and yes YourNightmare, I could do that at a Uni, but I do not want to spend thousands of dollars on an education that I would hate or be no good to me. That's just stupid. By choosing CC I can take a whole bunch of different courses, hopefully find my interests and find myself, not break the bank, and still get a degree out of it. If for some reason I choose not to continue my education, I have that degree to fall back on and at least get a decent job with benefits.

As for not going to college more than once, that is somehting I really do not want to do. I'm not going to spend all that money and throw it away just to go back in my 30's. My family doesn't have tons and tons of money, and I am not going to waste it.

Be soft.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 10th 2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendable View Post
YourNightmare, do you honestly not understand that most people who go to a community college then transfer to a university?
I guess you missed the part where I said if you go to a community college, you get an Associate's then when you transfer you can get a Bachelor's, Master's, etc... .

Quote:
Your entire line of reasoning seems to be that you can only get an associates degree at a community college. Yes, that's true, but the majority of people who go to community colleges, especially right out of high school, don't end their education there.
Did I say you automatically end their education there? No. I said the most you can get from a community college is an Associate's Degree. That does not imply that you're calling it quits once you get it.

Quote:
Everyone Iíve met at my community college so far has been nothing but friendly and helpful. The university in my town, on the other hand, is known for having classes so large that itís impossible to get any help from an actual professor.
Wrong. I've been in classes with over 400 students. You can e-mail the professor, talk with them after class (depends on theirs and your schedule), ask a TA, etc... . Yes community colleges have the advantage of a higher student-professor ratio. However, the advantage for the university is that there are numerous study groups, more TAs to talk to, etc... . When you get to the higher years, the class sizes drop dramatically. I'll be in my third year and most of the courses aren't even 100 people.

Quote:
There are several classes where a professor is recorded during the first class and then shown on tape to all of the subsequent classes that day, with about 400 students in each class.
Nice generalization. Not all universities are like this, in fact, many of them are not. The extremely large ones are but nice inaccurate generalization.

Quote:
I also knew a very intelligent girl who was one of very few to pass a Calculus class with over 1000 people in one room, watching a professor on a projector. I struggle with some math and I canít imagine that I would succeed in a class like that.
Are you attempting to suggest that you need to be more intelligent in universities than in community colleges to succeed?

Quote:
I also know multiple people who were unable to complete their degree within four years because they were given bad advice about which courses to take from counselors who were responsible for too much to be concerned about one student. That doesnít sound at all like a better learning experience to me.
The counselors don't have suitable degrees. They should've spoken to the professors and looked through their academic calender. It's their fault for putting their education in the hands of someone who has little knowledge in what the people you know wanted to take.

The counselors aren't to be held responsible, it's the students who are held responsible.

Quote:
I also donít see how coming into a thread where someone is looking for reassurance or at least a reasonable justification and saying that a community college is inherently worse than a university and that its students donít actually deserve any respect is helpful.
Did you read what the OP wanted? The OP wanted insight as to why some people were being looked down for going to a community college. I gave some possible reasons why, which is exactly what the OP wanted.

Quote:
Okay, I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath here :].
I am choosing community college becasue I do not know what I want to do with my life, and yes YourNightmare, I could do that at a Uni, but I do not want to spend thousands of dollars on an education that I would hate or be no good to me. That's just stupid. By choosing CC I can take a whole bunch of different courses, hopefully find my interests and find myself, not break the bank, and still get a degree out of it. If for some reason I choose not to continue my education, I have that degree to fall back on and at least get a decent job with benefits.
You're making it sound like you cannot take a diverse set of courses at a university. I'm not sure if you're aware of this but even if you do end up going to a college or university after you receive your Associate's Degree, you're still going to have to pay a decent amount just to get your Bachelor's Degree. You're still going to spend over a thousand dollars, possibly over a few thousand dollars depending which university you attend.

If you don't get your Bachelor's and only get an Associate's, then you're restricting yourself a lot as to what jobs you can get. Essentially, you'll have your high-school diploma or GED and a degree which signifies you only managed to complete 2 out of 4 years of your Bachelor's Degree.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), people with an Associate's degree earned an extra $128/week in 2001. Do you know what this was in comparison to? Not to Bachelor's Degree. It was compared to people whose highest level of education was a high-school diploma. http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=c...ee&hl=en&gl=ca

There are jobs available for people with an Associate's Degree but if you look at the ads on TV or on the radio for community colleges, it's jobs like "medical office assistant", "dental assistant", etc... . That's one other main reason why people look down upon those going to a community college: with a mere Associate's Degree, you're not getting decent jobs, you're getting jobs that probably a high-schooler could be trained to do fairly fast.

Quote:
As for not going to college more than once, that is somehting I really do not want to do. I'm not going to spend all that money and throw it away just to go back in my 30's. My family doesn't have tons and tons of money, and I am not going to waste it.
What if you only end up getting an Associate's Degree and you then realize that perhaps you can be better of with a higher degree?

(#18 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 02:54 AM

Regarding the issue of class sizes, it really depends on the university/college and classes. Obviously, lecture classes at many universities/colleges will most likely have 100+ students, but other classes may only have 20-30 students. If you attend a small college (e.g. a max. of 5,000 students), you will most likely have a smaller class size, receive more attention from professors, etc. I have heard from a number of people that it can be very difficult to get in touch with your professor and/or classes at large universities are only taught by TA's which some may find annoying. Nevertheless, it really depends on the school you choose to attend.

Lastly, you can get a job with an Associate's degree and I know many people who have found success by only attending a CC. However, nowadays, most employers require you to have at least a Bachelor's degree or else they won't even hire you. This is the case for some slow-paying jobs, as well from what I know.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_error View Post
Regarding the issue of class sizes, it really depends on the university/college and classes. Obviously, lecture classes at many universities/colleges will most likely have 100+ students, but other classes may only have 20-30 students. If you attend a small college (e.g. a max. of 5,000 students), you will most likely have a smaller class size, receive more attention from professors, etc.
This is quite true, although the higher-year courses tend to have smaller class sizes so even a large university will have substantially smaller course sizes for fourth-year courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_error View Post
Lastly, you can get a job with an Associate's degree and I know many people who have found success by only attending a CC. However, nowadays, most employers require you to have at least a Bachelor's degree or else they won't even hire you. This is the case for some slow-paying jobs, as well from what I know.
True, you can get a job with an Associate's although you're not going to get a great job at all. You'll probably also have relatively low pay.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 03:20 AM

It really depends on the situation. I have several friends that are going to the local community college. Some are going to pick their grades up so they can go to a better college. Some are simply getting rid of their general requirements before spending lots of money at a much more expensive school. Some are just taking a class or two for their non-college requiring career path. Some decided to get married before going to a 4 year college.

I, however, tend to view going to community college as basically 13th and 14th grade. Our local community college has SO many kids I went to high school with that it would just feel like an extension of high school to go there. I wanted to get out and gain new experience. I didn't like high school much (for the most part, I wasn't fond of the people in my graduating class), and I wanted to just go off and meet new people and get the experience away from home. That worked well for me.

ďDon't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 03:29 AM

Alright. On the job thing, my mother's boyfriend attended the CC I want to go to, and completed the 2 years. He now works in a paper mill and makes more money than my mother does. My mother is a 5th grade elementary teacher, and went to a 4 year school and then got her masters. So not getting a good paying job just because you went to a CC is bullshit.

For example, let's say I go to ACC, and then transfer to another college to be.. a graphic design artist. Now, let's pretend i just went straight to a 4 year college first, for the same degree as a graphic design artist.

So now let's assume I decided "I don't want to be a graphic design artist at all, now I want to be a therapist." Going the CC route will in that sense make it easier for me because if i just went to the 4 year school i wouldnt have the associates degree to fall back on to at least get a decent job while im raising money for myself to go back to college. If i went straight to the 4 year school, i'd be back at square 1, where as if i go to a CC i have that degree, and thing's might be easier.

But really, i don;t care if you dont like my life style or my plan. this is me and i posted this to just see if anyone else had family, or just random people thinking that Com College was a bad thing. But thank you all for your opinions :]

Be soft.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Alright. On the job thing, my mother's boyfriend attended the CC I want to go to, and completed the 2 years. He now works in a paper mill and makes more money than my mother does. My mother is a 5th grade elementary teacher, and went to a 4 year school and then got her masters. So not getting a good paying job just because you went to a CC is bullshit.
The problem with that is that pay is dependent more than merely what degree you have. Attempting to show that that is the only reason is nonsense. But for your viewing pleasure, here is some nice data:

http://www.cpec.ca.gov/FiscalData/50...ssoc&Year=2007 (earnings for Associate's Degree for each state in the US)

Compare that to:
http://www.cpec.ca.gov/FiscalData/50...pe=BARecipient (earnings for Bachelor's Degree for each state in the US)
http://www.cpec.ca.gov/FiscalData/50...pe=ADRecipient (earnings for Graduate / Professional Degrees for each state in the US)

Point is, Associate's Degrees earn the least compared to Bachelor's Degree, etc... .

Quote:
For example, let's say I go to ACC, and then transfer to another college to be.. a graphic design artist. Now, let's pretend i just went straight to a 4 year college first, for the same degree as a graphic design artist.

So now let's assume I decided "I don't want to be a graphic design artist at all, now I want to be a therapist." Going the CC route will in that sense make it easier for me because if i just went to the 4 year school i wouldnt have the associates degree to fall back on to at least get a decent job while im raising money for myself to go back to college. If i went straight to the 4 year school, i'd be back at square 1, where as if i go to a CC i have that degree, and thing's might be easier.
Actually, it wouldn't be of much use. Sure you'd have the Associate's Degree but all you'd have would be an AA or AAA. For therapy, you'd need an APT or ADN or something else. It's just like saying "I have a Bachelor's in arts so I want to use this for therapy". It's not going to be of any use. Why would someone hire you as a therapist if all you have is a degree in graphic design? You wouldn't. You'd need to either take your route of getting another Associate's then a Bachelor's or just go for a 4-year program and get the Bachelor's without another Associate's.

Either way, you have either an Associate's or a Bachelor's to fall back on. Since the Bachelor's earns more, you'd be better of that way to earn more money in a shorter timespan. Your example though conveniently forgets the fact that you either have your Bachelor's to fall back on also. That, or you'd rather ignore the degree that generally leads to greater income and choose the one that generally earns less income.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 04:41 AM

Look. I was just giving a simple example choosing two random jobs. I did not go into great depth. Insert job A or B in there if you please. This was not meant to be turned into an argument. Plain and Simple, a jobs a job. Id rather choose to do a job I love for less money than one I hate for more. I could care less about the money I make, as long as I have certain people, things, and memories in life. And I am done with this Thread.

Be soft.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: Community College - August 11th 2009, 05:09 AM

Closed at the request of the OP. Sorry it turned into an argument. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me anytime. : )

~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread