TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: WeAreGolden

6th form and options - August 15th 2009, 02:04 PM

I'm going into year 11 at school, and so that means I need to start thinking about my options for 6th form. I know I need to take chemistry and biology (I'm aiming to sudy forensic science, and these can be required), and history. I'd like to take physics too as my 4th option, but if I take all three sciences, will this be too much?

Any comments/opnions/ experiences on this would be apprecitaed

Thanks x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: 6th form and options - August 15th 2009, 02:33 PM

When I was going into sixth form I looked on University websites to see what courses require what.

I'd recommend taking maths rather than physics but I may just be biased because physics is one of my least favourite subjects. I know people at my school who are doing all three sciences in sixth form and if you enjoy doing all three then I don't see why it'd be too much for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 6th form and options - August 15th 2009, 03:16 PM

If you want to do all three sciences then I don't see anything wrong with that, it still leaves you with the option of two other non-science subjects. If it's going to help you with where you're wanting to go career-wise and you like/want to take it then I think that you should take physics.
Do you have a careers advisor at school? It may be worth talking to them about it, or even someone like connexions out of school.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: 6th form and options - August 15th 2009, 06:32 PM

I know a few people doing all sciences an done of my close friends is doing all siences and maths. It is difficult but my school lets you change subjects in the first month of 6th form and you are allowed to drop them at anytime. You can always drop one after AS because you will only need 3 A2 levels to get into Uni, (best check that with certain Uni's though).

My friends told me that doing all 3 science and maths wasn't as difficult as it seems because they all relate and some stuff learnt in biology helps him in chemistry and some stuff learnt in maths helps him in physics.

If it is what you want to do then go for it, check out your schools policy on changing subjects and see what they say, if you can drop a subject then there is no harm in trying it and dropping it.

Also wait for your GCSE results and see how well you did, the teachers in my school kept talking about how it is such a big step from GCSE to A level and I kind of shrugged it off saying yeah I got a B or I got an A so I will fine, but trust me it is a totally different experience and it is a lot more dificult. People who got A and A* in GCSE are scraping D's and E's in some cases. I got an A in maths and now I got an E in my first A level maths exam.
My best subject now is Biology because I enjoy it, maths is one of my worst subjects because even though I am good at it I hate it. Look at your GCSE results and choose subjects you do well in but also enjoy, don't assume that you will do well in A level because you did GCSE. I know that last bit isn't about what you asked but it is a piece of advice I wish someone had given me 12 months ago.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: WeAreGolden

Re: 6th form and options - August 15th 2009, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll have a talk over with some of my teachers and see how the subjects go this year.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 6th form and options - August 16th 2009, 02:25 PM

to be honest i'd see how year 11 goes before you start making decisions about A levels. i've only just finalised my options and i'm starting sixth form next month. but you've got the right idea by looking at what courses need what a levels. also, don't be talked into doing certain subjects by teachers. do the subjects that you want to do and the subjects you think you'll enjoy. good luck :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread