TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Transferring to college - August 17th 2009, 02:36 AM

Hey,

I am beginning the process of transferring to a college and I was just looking for some advice. The process seems kind of overwhelming and I thought if I got some advice it would help. I don't know I just feel all alone in the whole process and it kind of sucks so I thought I would come on here and get some advice/support.

I will be going and speaking to a transfer counselor at my city college so hopefully that will lead to me getting some advice/support. I know this is the first step I need to take but I still feel a little frazzled after looking at all of my prospective colleges wants.

Most of the colleges I am looking into want SAT scores so I was wondering what is the best way to study for that? Should I buy one of those SAT books or what? I don't know any other way to study for the SAT but I thought others might know.

Most of the colleges I want to go to want an essay (which is really freaking me out) and I was wondering if there was a website I could go to to get some points or what not. I already have the topic picked out for the colleges that don't ask for a topic but I don't know how to make my essay the 'best' essay. Any pointers or tips would be great.

I feel less stressed just writing this down so I guess it helped. Huh. Thanks for reading and any advice would be helpful.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Transferring to college - August 17th 2009, 03:01 AM

I am in the same boat as you, except I am a high school senior. Nevertheless, I feel much of the same stress you are feeling right now.

First, it's great that you will speak to your transfer counselor. He/she should be able to provide you with many resources and guide you along the way as this can be a very confusing process.

Most universities/colleges require you to have SAT and/or ACT scores if you are a transfer student, I believe. The best way to study for the SAT is to purchase a workbook (e.g. Princeton Review, College Board, Kaplan, etc) and take as many practice tests as you can. If you have the money and time, you could consider taking a prep class. In the end, try not to get too stressed out about the SAT because it is one test and honestly, it only measures how good of a test taker you are.

As for essays, I am currently working on my college essay. There are a wide range of topics you can write about, but a lot of schools have their own topics or at least, it is a supplementary essay.
Here are a couple of websites:
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/apply/essay-skills/
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/essays/a/essay_tips.htm
http://apps.carleton.edu/admissions/apply/essay_tips/

Don't try to write more than 2 pages because college admissions officers do not want to read a 5-page essay. Importantly, write it from your heart.

Good luck! I'm a PM away if you ever want to talk or need some advice.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Transferring to college - August 17th 2009, 05:55 AM

Hey,

Thanks. It was really helpful and I will buy one of those SAT books as soon as I get settled with school. The websites you listed for the essay seemed helpful too. I especially liked the college board one.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread