TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 11:23 AM

Hey! If you've given your SAT I what book do you recommend? And why? I study at this academy for SAT and the teacher has compiled questions from different books, but there arent any instructions, just the questions. He teaches us how to do them. I was thinking of getting Princeton Review. The instructions seems easy too, but I'm not sure if the level is that of the exam because some of the questions we do are harder. And there arent many practise questions in these books right? So do you suggest Princteon, Barron, College Board, Kaplan or any other? Also also explain the reason. Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 12:24 PM

It depends on what you are looking for.

Princeton Review makes good workbooks and College Board has the 'blue book' with three practice tests which are very helpful. Barron's workbooks are probably the hardest to study from because the their tests are much harder than the actual SAT, but it is great challenge. Usually, workbooks have at least 1-2 practice tests with explanations. I didn't take the SAT, but I did buy one of Gruber's workbooks and it was helpful for math mainly.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 12:57 PM

Okay. I tried basically all those books.... sooooo my personal opinion:
Start with the blue book. There are lot's of college board questions and I think 10 full practice tests. They have lot's of information there and the tests/questions are DIRECTLY from ACTUAL SATS. After that, if you still want more you can try out either Barrons or Princeton Review. Barrons is much harder than the actual test- but it will prepare you well. For example, I got a 410 for the Biology SATII in the Barron prep book, but got a 730 in real life. Princeton Review is much closer to what the actual test is, but not as good as the blue book. Princeton Review seems to be really good at explaining concepts and such. Spark Notes (don't laugh ) I found has GREAT prep questions. I got their biology one and it predicted a 730 for me, which is what I got! I am sure their SATI book is good, too. I have heard mixed reviews about Kaplan. Some love it, some hate it. McGraw has good books, too!

Basically- my advice: Get the College Board books.

My personal ranking:
College Board
Princeton Review
Spark Notes
McGraw
Kaplan
Barrons

Here is something I found online:
Quote:
1. The Official CollegeBoard SAT Study Guide - You should know by now that this is the single best source for practice tests. This is because the practice tests in this book are developed by the CollegeBoard, the organization that makes the SAT test. All other companies just try to mimic their practice tests after the ones in this book.

2. Princeton Review's Cracking the SAT, 2008 ed. - Cracking the SAT is a classic SAT prep book that ranks among peoples' favorites every year. This book is particularly good at teaching the concepts and test taking strategies.

3. Barron's SAT 2400 - The Barron's SAT prep materials are particularly good for advanced math students. If you're scoring within the 700+ range on the math sections, this is the best book for additional practice as the questions in this book tend to be more difficult that the actual test problems. I'm not a fan of the Critical Reading chapters in the book, and the Writing chapters are just OK.

4. Sparknotes Guide to the New SAT and PSAT - This book does a good job with the Writing Sections and a pretty good job overall. I personally think this study guide is the most enjoyable to read as the writers regularly make reference to pop culture (with references to 50 cent and the likes) and infuse a little bit of humor to otherwise dull material. They deserve credit for the effort.

5. Kaplan's SAT 2008 Premiere Program - Kaplan is perhaps the best known company in the test prep industry. While this book is not spectacular in any particular aspect, it's better than average in almost all aspects. As a bonus, this book also comes with a CD for those who prefer a more interactive learning experience.

6. The RocketReview Revolution Guide to the SAT – Aside from the cheesy name, this is actually a very good book. The gimmicky title is actually a bit misleading as the author of this book, Adam Robinson, is one of the most respected people in the test prep industry. He’s actually the one who wrote the original Cracking the SAT book for Princeton Review. Only recently did he venture off to create his own test prep company. This book is very good for Critical Reading passages; if you have difficulty with the reading passages, definitely purchase this book.
Hope this helped!
-Amy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 12:58 PM

Oh wait, to be completely honest. I think the packets of problems you are getting from your teacher will be the best source you have. He probably compiled the best of all the books

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wannabe Realist
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 02:35 PM

College Board Blue Book.

Just practicing in it rose my score 34 points, into national merit range for my state.

I've heard good things about the Princeton Review as well, but the blue book is made by the people who write the exam (though I'm not sure if Princeton is or not...).

Also, your teacher's notes should be a great help.

how nice- to feel nothing but still get credit for being alive
kurt vonnegut

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 03:37 PM

Blue book = the best.
Barron's for Critical Reading
Gruber's (or if you're really into it - get the Art of Problem Solving Vol 1) for Math

=P

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 06:27 PM

I have plenty of questions to practise, because the book he compiled only contains questions. I wanted something for instructions that will help even in difficult questions, particularly for math. I'm thinking of getting Princeton Review. Does it cover the instructions for the different kinds of possible questions? I hadn't taken math in O levels (not compulsary in my country..i kind of did did till 10th grade) and now I'm going abroad. The Blue book is the college board? I'll look into that too. Thank you everyone

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 06:30 PM

Barron's is as hard as hell. I would advise against it because it doesn't necessarily imitate the test in difficulty or style.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#9 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Barron's is as hard as hell. I would advise against it because it doesn't necessarily imitate the test in difficulty or style.
Barron's is a good challenge for anyone. If you can do well on Barron's, you will most likely be able to do score well on the actual test. However, I do think Barron's over prepares you for any test (be it SAT, ACT, SAT II, or AP) which can be a good or bad thing.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 08:14 PM

I used it for the ACT, it was good, but I overworked it and got a 32. That is decent, but I felt like I put in a ridiculous effort to learn things for the studybook that weren't on the actual test.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#11 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: Best book for SAT? - August 19th 2009, 09:02 PM

its pretty much awesome, im sure other people have recommended it!
  Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
Closed Thread