TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

First day of high school+New school. - August 25th 2009, 01:28 AM

I am unbeleivably scared. Kinda excited, but still totally freaked at the same time. I just feel afraid things wont go well at all or I wont find my classes or that they'll hate me, or flat out no one will talk to me at all, which is irrational, but still, I cant shake it off aaand I'm scared. I cant stop wondering how people will take to me and if it'll be good or bad. Rrgh.

Anyone else going into Freshman year/have any HS advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 25th 2009, 02:33 AM

Oh Shannon don't worry at all. Im not a freshman but a senior but first day of freshman year is not at all as bad as people make it seem to be.
If your schedual is fine and need no changes then things will run smoothly 99.9 % of the time and if your schedual is not what it should be then they will have schedual change call and they will get it all figured out.
You will be able to find your classes even if you are not sure where you are going. Teachers and administration will be all out on the look out to help with the first day of school, so if you aren't sure, just go up to one of them and ask.
Thats the fun of going to a new school, no one knows you so this is a great time to meet new people. When you go to class and you sit down say hi to the kid sitting next to you. Make buddies and ask if can sit with one of them if you find a kid you find interesting and friend worthy before lunch.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 25th 2009, 04:29 AM

You think it will be scary...you will be fine. Join a bunch of clubs, makes friends easily. Cheers

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#4 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 25th 2009, 10:24 AM

Hey Shannon. [:

I'm sure you're going to be just fine! It's absolutely natural to be nervous when staring a new school, but the nerves will clear after your first day, and you should be somewhat settled in within a week.

Just be yourself, do your work, and have fun. I hope you have an amazing four years ahead of you. Good luck, Shannon! We're here if you need anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 26th 2009, 10:59 PM

You'll be fine - I know how you feel. I started a high school where I went in knowing about two people, whereas a lot of other people had gone to school together for up to ten years. The first day is always nerve-wracking, but as time goes on you get used to it. Join a sport or a club and you'll make friends. I joined choir and through it I met my best friend in the entire world! They also help with making friends in older grades so that you don't feel as intimidated. My best friend was a senior when I was a freshman!

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 26th 2009, 11:27 PM

It's quite normal for you to feel nervous on the first day of school. This is my second year in high school and let me tell you, I was quite terrified at first too! I came in knowing virtually no one, but I've made plenty of friends in no time at all. The anticipation of what might happen is always the worst, but most people turn out fine. There are other people in the same position as you, coming into a new school and worried about finding classes, how people will like them, and so forth. On the first day the teachers might have some sort of activity where you introduce yourselves, mine sure did and it helped so I knew who's who. Usually the teachers and staff are helpful and will be glad to answer any of your questions or guide you to the right class on your first day.

Just remember to breathe and take things easy. It's really not as intimidating as it seems! x

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 27th 2009, 10:27 PM

Hi Shannon ,
I can relate to that- I'm a junior but I'm also starting at a new school.

Just remember that nearly everyone (think about it: likely every single person) in the freshman class feels the same way as you. There's always the fear that you won't make friends; that's natural and fine, and you'll probably make loads of friends
eventually (don't freak out if you haven't found any friends the first day or so). You'll probably get lost a few times the first week if you haven't been in the building before, but that too is to be expected.

Deep breaths. LOL. You'll be fine.

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: First day of high school+New school. - August 27th 2009, 10:36 PM

I am a senior, and don't be afraid usually teachers will give you at least a week "grace period" and that is even for the other students too. As for talking, I'm sure many of your friends from middle school are moving on up with you right?

Closed Thread