TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Tell me about college - August 27th 2009, 12:16 AM

Tell me, is college worth working toward? Is it like ordinary school? Does it offer advanced or unique classes? Is it...fun? I need something to motivate me right now, I'm desperate. I want to be something, but I've been having these doubts that I'll even get into college. I don't even know what I want to be when I grow up.

Do you get to 'start your life over' in college? I really want to give myself a new reputation, but I'm only a junior. But isn't this the year everyone looks at? Maybe I should start looking at colleges now...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Tell me about college - August 27th 2009, 12:32 AM

Hey there!

Yes, college is absolutely worth working hard. To me, it's not at all like high school - it's a whole lot different, and it's so much better to me because you don't have to spend all that time just sitting in desks. You go in, learn your stuff, and leave. Then, you have the rest of the time to study, which is so great. As you might be able to tell, I have enough time to be on here, so there's definitely a good amount of free time.

I would say that all classes in college are both advanced and unique. For my major, Family Studies (social work), there's all kinds of cool things like Human Sexuality and Marriage and the Family and just lots of really cool classes. There's something for everyone, especially at a big school (though I personally go to a small school).

When I was fifteen, I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. I didn't even know if I would get in to college. You must try your very best on your PSAT, your SAT, and your ACT. Because of my scores on these tests, I'm going for free to a school that would normally cost upwards of $27,000 a year. Trust me, you will get in somewhere. Talk to your college counselor NOW and find out what you can do this year to prepare for stuff in the future, you know? It's never too early to start working towards your goals.

It IS fun. The workload sucks pretty bad, but it's worth it! There's so much to do on college campuses. There's Greek Life, which I don't plan to be a part of, there's intramural sports, club sports, and school sports. There's SGA and academic clubs, there's religious small groups. There's truly something for EVERYONE.

Yes, you more or less do get to reinvent yourself in college, but honestly, you should just try to be yourself. There's so many different kinds of people here, so you're going to find people that you connect with *if* you are yourself around these people. It's so easy to make friends, though, with all of these different activities that they'll have you do at things when you first go to college as a freshmen.

You're a junior. Yes, start now. You can do it. Keep your chin up. [:

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Tell me about college - August 27th 2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the well thought-out reply! Guess I better get started on my work...in the meantime, I've been thinking about putting a lot of effort in this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
Hey there!

Yes, college is absolutely worth working hard. To me, it's not at all like high school - it's a whole lot different, and it's so much better to me because you don't have to spend all that time just sitting in desks.

THANK GOD. I hate sitting in desks and not having enough room for all my papers and such. I actually want to get out there and learn something. Maybe even go to Bond University for a while in Australia.

The classes sound interesting! All I have at my school is the usual. I plan on going to a huge college, and junior year is when they start looking. And having your own room must be awesome. My parents won't let me re-do my current room; it's been the same since 4th grade! Can't wait to move out.

Quote:
When I was fifteen, I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. I didn't even know if I would get in to college. You must try your very best on your PSAT, your SAT, and your ACT.

When do I get these tests? ...And could you maybe tell me what's on them? BTW, I want to either be an artist or a scientist. One of those two.

Quote:
It IS fun. The workload sucks pretty bad, but it's worth it! There's so much to do on college campuses. There's Greek Life, which I don't plan to be a part of, there's intramural sports, club sports, and school sports. There's SGA and academic clubs, there's religious small groups. There's truly something for EVERYONE.

Yes, you more or less do get to reinvent yourself in college, but honestly, you should just try to be yourself. There's so many different kinds of people here, so you're going to find people that you connect with *if* you are yourself around these people. It's so easy to make friends, though, with all of these different activities that they'll have you do at things when you first go to college as a freshmen.

You're a junior. Yes, start now. You can do it. Keep your chin up. [:
Yay, diversity! I'm looking forward to wearing clothes besides uniforms, meeting guys, and everything that goes with living on your own. I have no problem being myself around people I'm comfortable around- I get certain 'vibes' about people. I heard that people in college are much more mature and accepting than high school kids.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Tell me about college - August 27th 2009, 09:48 PM

Yeah, college is very important they look at pretty much ALL your years though, your grades all through high school so I would just do your best after that is all you CAN do. Also know I am nervous too you are NOT the only one.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Tell me about college - August 27th 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC123 View Post
Yeah, college is very important they look at pretty much ALL your years though, your grades all through high school so I would just do your best after that is all you CAN do. Also know I am nervous too you are NOT the only one.
Oh, I'm not scared or nervous at all. I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait until the day I move in. I bet on the car ride there, my mom will be crying and such.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Tell me about college - August 28th 2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Nikki! View Post
Oh, I'm not scared or nervous at all. I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait until the day I move in. I bet on the car ride there, my mom will be crying and such.
I still have another year and my mom is going crazy with family time and stuff. We all went together (all 4 of us) to the grocery store...she is getting insane.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#7 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Tell me about college - August 28th 2009, 06:48 AM

I believe college is something that shouldn't be missed. I've only experienced a year of it and it's what everyone says: you get to reinvent/find yourself. Classes are unique if you sign up for the right ones. And fun ... OH YES: especially living on campus.

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Tell me about college - August 28th 2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I still have another year and my mom is going crazy with family time and stuff. We all went together (all 4 of us) to the grocery store...she is getting insane.
You're lucky, I still have two years! But I can't wait to get out of this house anyway. I'll buy all my own furniture and decorate it how I want to- without my mom yelling at me for 'spending too much on furniture.' God, my parents are so cheap, especially my mom. It's always the moms that go insane in the end.

I can't wait for how everyone's gonna react when I move out. My mom will be crying. I will be laughing.

Closed Thread