TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Question College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 03:39 AM

I'm starting college, and I'm just so confused. How many credits to a unit? This is what I've signed up for. Since I'm late, I have the low of the low classes. I'm very happy that I jumped on a Spanish class that someone probably dropped out of.

81997 PHED 0055 05 Credit 0.500 Standard Letter Fundamentals of Yoga
82331 SPAN 0001 130 Credit 4.000 Standard Letter Elementary Spanish
80304 ASTR 0010 10 Credit 3.000 Standard Letter Elementary Astronomy
81762 MUS 0040A 30 Credit 2.000 Standard Letter Piano

Am I okay? I need to meet the requirements to transfer to a four year college... If I took three years of language in high school, does it count in community college? Or do I start out fresh.

Help...

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 03:54 AM

I don't think the high school language classes count, unless they are AP...
But what do you mean with the cedit and units?? like how much do you have to pay per unit?
In California the fee for the community colleges went up this fall I think they are 26dls per unit.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 04:41 AM

And how do I send my fafsa to my school. Classes start Monday and my classes and books aren't paid for... I'm almost sure everything should be taken care of but books... What do I do?

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:01 AM

Did you go to another college before this new one??
If you didn't them when you apply for the fafsa you will be able to select the schools you applied for.
If you did go to another school I think you need to let your financial counselor know you are changing school.
If you already submited your fafsa and got approved your first check will be mailed to you on the first 2 weeks of September if I am correct.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:10 AM

My classes start Monday, nothing is paid for yet... But I have my classes, what do I do?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:19 AM

I don't think you need to pay for your classes the first day or even the first week. You can pay for them whenever thoughout the semester.
I would just go and make an appointment with my counselor.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:21 AM

How am I going to pay for books. I just went to the Fafsa and edited my schools. I put the one I'm going to, the only one I've ever attended, first. How long until my school knows?

I didn't know they mail you a check? Seriously?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:22 AM

I didn't pay for anything when I went to my first classes. The teachers should tell you what books to get, so don't worry about books yet. As far as paying for classes goes, you usually have a couple weeks before you have to pay. I haven't paid for my classes yet and we're already in the second week, and I have until Sept to get them paid for.

If you're worried you could go to the administration office at your campus and ask them?

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:24 AM

I feel a little better now... Are these classes too much you think?

Elementary Astronomy
Elementary Spanish (I already took 3 years of French, but I really want the class.)
Piano
Yoga
Public Speaking

(#10 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:29 AM

They don't seem too much to me. They all seem like fairly enjoyable classes, so you should be fine

btw- I'm taking yoga as well, and it's amazing

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 05:31 AM

Yeah they mail you your check so that you can deposit it to your bank account. Or they can also deposit it dirrectly to your "school card" for your school has that program.
While you wait for your money use a credit card and then just pay it up. Don't worry you will get your money.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 06:08 AM

Are all the classes I'm taking meeting the transfer requirements?

And I didn't know they gave you a card or bank account... I never really put my info? Is it in the U.S. and are 100% sure It's going to happen for me?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 06:20 AM

It depends on where you are planning to transfer... to a UC or state or private?
About the bank accounts I think you misunderstood me. I meant to say that when you are accepted to recieve your money the FAFSA will send you an email and ask you where you will want you money deposit. If you school has a "student card" which allows you to have a card exclusive for school use. You can choose your money to go there.
Or it you have an bank account with a bank Ex. Well Fargo you can choose for your money to be send to you though mail and you will then deposit it to your bank or not.
I'm not sure if it makes sense? if you have more questions ask me

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 06:24 AM

Are you sure they don't just email the info to the school and you get the credit? And does fafsa pay for books?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 06:47 AM

I'm not sure if fafsa does that, but if you already changed your school in your fafsa application I think fafsa already emailed your financial center and yold them.
About the books, it depends on how much money you get, the money first goes to paying for your tuition and then books.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 06:51 AM

My classes altogether will be less than four hundred.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 07:03 AM

It's not that bad. If you are worried about paying your classes I am sure you don't have to pay them until later on in the semester. And about the book try going online and ordering there like in Amazon or Ebay.
I got all my book before time by going here http://www.efollett.com/
Check if your college is there and look up your classes. But now that I am going to school in Mexico I have all the books left over...

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 29th 2009, 10:52 PM

I haven't gotten an email from fafsa or the school saying they got my information?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 30th 2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
I feel a little better now... Are these classes too much you think?

Elementary Astronomy
Elementary Spanish (I already took 3 years of French, but I really want the class.)
Piano
Yoga
Public Speaking
I don't think that they're too hard or too much, in fact some of them sound fairly easy and relaxing to do (i.e. yoga). It's much easier than the course load I had in first year, which was along the lines of physics, calculus, two biology courses, chemistry and psychology.

Since you do have experience with French, then I suspect that Spanish will be fairly easy. If you have experience with piano then that probably wouldn't be too hard then either.

I'm not sure on the money issue as I'm in Canada and you're in the U.S.A., so there's probably a difference in how the systems work. However, I do believe that they would mail it to you or you may need to go to the college and pick the check up there. But since there is a difference with the education systems, don't cling to my word on this.

As for the number of credits, this is where some universities or colleges make it very simple and others make it a whole lot more complex than it really needs to be. Each university and college has their own policies and their own definitions of a unit, major, minor, etc... . At my university it's laid out to be very simple: there's either a full credit (1.0) or a half-credit (0.5). A full credit generally runs for both semesters whereas a half-credit runs for only one semester (there are exceptions to this though).

Since most things are online these days, navigate the college website you're attending and somewhere on the website it should give the definitions for you. If it isn't there, then you may consider seeing an academic counselor and asking them.

As for the high-school courses counting, if they were not of A.P. (advanced placement) or equivalent level, then they're not going to count as a university or college course.

For the books, you're lecturer/instructor/professor tells you this on the first day. However, your college probably has a bookstore and you can go straight to them and they should be able to tell you before you step foot in the lecture halls.

For the transfer requirements, you need to contact the university you're going to transfer to. Some universities may accept the courses, some may not. For the ones that do accept them, they may impose a condition on it saying you need to obtain a certain minimum grade in order for it to count. Others simply don't care if you fail the course or get 100%, they won't accept them either way. You need to ask each university individually, something you probably can do by e-mail. Go on the universities' websites and somewhere on there you'll get a phone-number and e-mail for academic questions and such. Depending on the size of the university, you may need to contact a certain department (i.e. Physics Department) and within that department, you'll contact the person about admissions. You can also try contacting the chair/assistant chair of the departments and ask them.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 30th 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I don't think that they're too hard or too much, in fact some of them sound fairly easy and relaxing to do (i.e. yoga). It's much easier than the course load I had in first year, which was along the lines of physics, calculus, two biology courses, chemistry and psychology.

Since you do have experience with French, then I suspect that Spanish will be fairly easy. If you have experience with piano then that probably wouldn't be too hard then either.

I'm not sure on the money issue as I'm in Canada and you're in the U.S.A., so there's probably a difference in how the systems work. However, I do believe that they would mail it to you or you may need to go to the college and pick the check up there. But since there is a difference with the education systems, don't cling to my word on this.

As for the number of credits, this is where some universities or colleges make it very simple and others make it a whole lot more complex than it really needs to be. Each university and college has their own policies and their own definitions of a unit, major, minor, etc... . At my university it's laid out to be very simple: there's either a full credit (1.0) or a half-credit (0.5). A full credit generally runs for both semesters whereas a half-credit runs for only one semester (there are exceptions to this though).

Since most things are online these days, navigate the college website you're attending and somewhere on the website it should give the definitions for you. If it isn't there, then you may consider seeing an academic counselor and asking them.

As for the high-school courses counting, if they were not of A.P. (advanced placement) or equivalent level, then they're not going to count as a university or college course.

For the books, you're lecturer/instructor/professor tells you this on the first day. However, your college probably has a bookstore and you can go straight to them and they should be able to tell you before you step foot in the lecture halls.

For the transfer requirements, you need to contact the university you're going to transfer to. Some universities may accept the courses, some may not. For the ones that do accept them, they may impose a condition on it saying you need to obtain a certain minimum grade in order for it to count. Others simply don't care if you fail the course or get 100%, they won't accept them either way. You need to ask each university individually, something you probably can do by e-mail. Go on the universities' websites and somewhere on there you'll get a phone-number and e-mail for academic questions and such. Depending on the size of the university, you may need to contact a certain department (i.e. Physics Department) and within that department, you'll contact the person about admissions. You can also try contacting the chair/assistant chair of the departments and ask them.
That helped me a lot, thank you. I don't want to overwhelm myself or be to lazy. I think those are good starting off courses, even if they all don't meet the transfer requirements.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 30th 2009, 10:45 PM

You will get something like this email

Award Letter Notification‏
From: Financial Aid Office You may not know this sender.Sent:Fri 8/21/09 5:48 PMTo:
Your financial aid award has changed. Please log on to WEBSTAR to view your updated award. If you have questions, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Office

THIS IS A SYSTEM GENERATED E-MAIL - PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE CALL THE IVC FINANCIAL AID OFFICE AT OR VISIT THE FINANICAL AID COMPUTER LAB IN ROOM 1601.

Financial Aid Office

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - August 31st 2009, 05:26 AM

I haven't got that, but I know my efc is 0.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Riscar23 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jack

Re: College Confused, Help, Please? - September 1st 2009, 04:40 PM

There is a chance about fasfa which I hate and don't qualify for any grants grr which happened to me so I get the joys of getting private student loans through salliemae. All my classes are online going through a university, my sister however goes to a community college and books wait until the teacher tells you what book to get otherwise you maybe getting things you don't need. Cost varies from schools which also stink lol, my sis pays like 125 per credit hour and im stuck paying 575 per credit hour.

Closed Thread