TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xlovex Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

Cool Any advice for a rising Freshmen? - September 2nd 2009, 04:51 PM

Okay, my school starts next Tuesday, and it will be my first ever day of highschool. I am waaay more nervous than I should be, so I'd like some help !

I have spent my entire summer trying to prepare for what should be the best four years of my life so far. I have joined a sport, and after the crazy workouts since the first Monday school was out, I have made the team. I know I want to join two clubs, and I have already decided one of them, an all girls club where you get ready for dances and do comunitee service and all that fun stuff, but I don't know what to join for the other club. My highschool has a club for literally everything, so suggestions are welcomed .

I have been to all the rising Freshmen seminars and stuff, and I'll get my schedule tomorrow. I have met some teachers, even though I might not have some of them, and ihave met my conciler (sp?). I am obsessed with getting all A's, something I have never done in my life, because I have never really put that much effort into schoolwork or studying. I've always had A's and B's. I will be in all honors classes, so it might be hard, so study tips are needed!

I am really shy, but I want to sit in the front of the class room because I read that students who sit in the front learn 15% more or something, does anyone know this to be true?

Any advise that will help me start off these years right would be appriciated. Thanks in advance!

I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow, or defeat, I could only see one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. Why, when I have needed you most, you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you."

~Mary Stevenson

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Any advice for a rising Freshmen? - September 2nd 2009, 07:19 PM

Hey Rachel!

It's great to see somebody so enthusiastic about starting school! I remember when I first started High School, and I was so excited, too! I'm sure that with this awesome attitude towards everything, you're going to have an absolutely amazing four years.

As for studying, just make sure you don't push yourself too hard! Getting all A's isn't the most important thing in the world. I understand that it's important to you, and you'd love to get that, but just make sure you're keeping a good balance between a social life and your work! As for the whole sitting in front of the class thing, I have no idea about the statistic, but it does make sense to me! I always sit in the front, I find it much easier to pay attention. So go ahead! =]

There's not much advice to give you, Rachel, since you seem to have it basically covered yourself! Getting involved in school activities is so great, I'm glad you're doing that! Should be a wonderful way to make lots of new friends. You sound like a truly wonderful person to be around, anyway. [:

I hope you have an amazing time, Rachel. Take good care of yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Any advice for a rising Freshmen? - September 2nd 2009, 08:55 PM

Hey there,

Its perfectly normal to be nervous about the first day of high school everybody is even if they wont admit it. But you'll be fine it really isnt that bad. Last year when I was a freshmen I was so nervous and I didnt think I'd be able to find any of my locker or my locker wouldnt work. But everything was fine nothing bad happened and it was actually a pretty good day. You get so much more freedom in highschool then middle school.

About you being shy thats no big deal either. Your going to a differnt school but you've still got all your friends with you. Also theres a lot of people out there that are shy so dont worry about that.

I find that note cards helps me out with studying. Turn off your tv and cell phone and turn on some quite music and just focus on that.

Goodluck. Im sure you'll be fine

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Any advice for a rising Freshmen? - September 2nd 2009, 09:04 PM

Ah. You're cute. [:

It sounds like you know what you're doing! Go ahead and sit towards the front. I'm not sure if those statistics are factually based and researched, but students who sit at the front of the class room show that they're eager to learn and it seems that they're always more engaged in what's going on around them. Not only would you get to be around these students, you would get to be one of these students! (:

And then for the sports, wow, it sounds like that's going to be busy! Make sure you don't spread yourself too thin your first semester (that is, that you don't join too many activities or clubs) - you want to make sure you have time to do stuff. PS: Colleges look not only for people who are well-rounded, but also for people who devote TIME to what they DO, rather than just put half an effort into everything else, if that makes sense.

I know you're going to do fantastically. Keep your chin up.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Any advice for a rising Freshmen? - September 3rd 2009, 01:23 AM

Hi Rachel

Sheesh! You're more prepared than I was for high school, that's for certain! It sounds like you've really thought it through and have made some goals and decisions already. Joining a sport and doing community service are really important, and the same goes for getting good grades.

But remember- this is supposed to be the most fun four years of your teenage life! So make sure you do have a night out with friends once in a while and that your spare time isn't all dedicated to school.

Getting A's is wonderful, but as long as you do your best, that is really what matters. Your first year is all about experimenting and finding out what courses you like in school, so keep an open mind no matter what.

My favourite spot in school is the second, third, or fourth seat to the front and close to the middle, but not directly in the middle, because if teachers use an overhead projector it can be difficult to see over if you are directly in the middle.

The number one thing is to have fun! You are going to have a spectacular year, so enjoy it! And let us know how your first day goes.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread