TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Feeling Empowered. - September 3rd 2009, 12:19 AM

Despite hating school, I actually really enjoy learning about new things. I find almost all subjects quite exciting (except history...). Today was my first day of school and I was really dreaded it, but after going to 3 of my academic classes, I just felt so... thrilled. I am psyched to actually learn the material this year. I have been reading some biology books this summer (except the one they assigned... whoops) and I am so turned on by jumping genes and hemochromatosis. Plus, in English, we are reading some of the classics! I might actually get some of those Shakespearean jokes!! Heading into calculus, I was a little nervous... but I totally aced the first worksheet and I our course syllabus looks well thought out and interesting. Although it's a college level course, I think it will be quite manageable.

So, after I came home today, I did my 2 hours of ACT prep, and began my homework. Going through the textbooks, I just couldn't resist thinking how empowered I felt. I have so much information at my fingertips, and so much to learn. I feel like I might actually be someone after this year. It's exciting.

Right, my point, I am wondering if any of you feel the same way? Minus hating school, do you love learning?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Feeling Empowered. - September 3rd 2009, 01:14 AM

I am dissecting a fetal pig in 10 hours so I am really pumped for ap bio. I have 4 AP's so its hell, but it's going to be awesome too. Except english. Old Tyme British books are terrible, reading Northhanger Abbey right now.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Feeling Empowered. - September 3rd 2009, 03:22 AM

Ah the fetal pig dissections. They're absolutely amazing, we'll be doing dissections every Friday on countless vertebrates, anything from worm-like creatures to birds to rats/mice, hell, the dissection lab manual has the anatomy laid out for some rather large birds and marine creatures.

At university we buy our books (sadly) and I've read the first several chapters out of all of them, books for forensic psychology to clinical neuroscience to sociology, etc... .

I don't hate university because right now (third year) I'm able to take some of the courses that I've had a strong interest in. Next year I'll take extra third-years that I couldn't get into due to problems with the online sign-up system and that year will be even more amazing.

So I'm looking forward to the courses, labs, tutorials and such that we'll be having but also looking forward to the people in the classes. In most of the classes, the lecture and lab sizes are smaller since it's a third-year course but also the people in there are going to be very interested in the course and not doing the course simply because it's a requirement (generally) or because it's a "bird course".

I've always been a fan of learning even if it's something I don't really care about. Once I begin learning only a bit of something even if I don't care much about it, I'll want to learn as much as possible, memorize and figure out as everything there is to know. Then once something else comes around, the same thing goes for that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Feeling Empowered. - September 3rd 2009, 06:07 PM

I do really enjoy learning about new things; and i don't mind school. It's just getting myself motivated which is the problem.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Feeling Empowered. - September 4th 2009, 03:06 AM

I am such a geek. I LOVE school and learning, and helping others to learn. But I hate all the work.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

Closed Thread