TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
porcelain Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: porcelain

I feel like dropping out. - September 3rd 2009, 12:21 AM

I've been having problems in college.
I keep missing out on my classes and skipping some of them. Apparently my reasons for doing it are really stupid. It's because I don't have my assignments prepared or my plates (i'm a fine arts major) done.
I'm starting to really fall apart. I feel like my grades in my GE (general education) classes are low and my grades in my major as well.
I just feel like leaving all of them and drop out but of course the people around me would be extremely disappointed that would leave me feeling like a complete failure.

I feel like having a formal education on art doesn't really suite me. I love painting and creating things but I don't want them to be graded...

Also I realized that whenever I try to escape my responsibilities I become massively productive since I start doing other things just to get away from what I'm supposed to do. I can't seem to understand this problem as a whole, but one of my point is I feel like I could be happier and doing so much better if this college thing was out of the way.

Advices please...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: I feel like dropping out. - September 3rd 2009, 04:41 AM

Do you have an academic advisor that you can talk to? They could help you see if there's any alternatives for you to get your grades up if you decide to continue your education.

And I felt the same way about doing something you love but not wanting to be graded on it. But think of it this way: the grades help you tap into your fullest potential as an artist. People with natural talent need that guidance to harness their gift fully. They can be great without the grades, but they can be the best with the grades. I hope that makes sense.

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: I feel like dropping out. - September 3rd 2009, 08:58 AM

I've been there, done that. I've taken three courses at college, all of which I decided that I just didn't want to do, I started to slip a bit to the point that I dropped out and later on I regret it.

I think you should talk to someone about it, an advisor or even a teacher and see what they think. Think about what you really want to do, whether it's going to college or going straight into a job or something and go to them with these ideas and see what they say. Also, if you aren't doing so well in your classes then talk to a teacher about it, I'm sure they'll give you extra time and help if you need that which could help you get to the same point as everyone else and you might actually start to enjoy it then. And if you haven't got long left of your course, then I think you should carry it on even if you don't like it. Why leave it unfinished when you've not got long left till it does? You could get back up to speed and finish it, coming away with whatever this course gives you so at least you got something from it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: I feel like dropping out. - September 3rd 2009, 09:32 AM

I understand what you're going through, I've taken some courses that I wasn't that into, I didn't turn up to classes and just didn't see the point in continuing them. Perhaps your art is meant to be more of a hobby for you, seeing as you don't like it being graded. Maybe take a think about other careers you might consider and keep your art as yours. If you're certain that its what you want to do then try and forget you're being graded in your work, and do your best for you, to make yourself feel proud.
Just don't make a rash decision about dropping out or you'll kick yourself when you realise it's what you really wanted.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

Closed Thread