TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Starting college.... again :( - September 3rd 2009, 09:44 PM

I thought this would be the most appropriate place.

Okay. I haven't had a job and/or been to school/college for two years. I had too many anxiety problems and other emotional problems due to bullying in school and loads of other reasons I feel more 'ready' now and want to do something with my life. Here's a tip for you all, please don't stay home for two years and do next to nothing as much as I thought it would be better for me in the short-term it made me really really depressed.

So, the problem is I haven't been in a class full on 25+ people I haven't known in years I'm pretty sure I have some sort of social anxiety, I hate being with new people being in a room full of new people makes me feel sick.

What I want to know is for people with anxiety problems do you know of any coping strategies I could use for the first few days (until I get used to it)? And I feel like a complete idiot for asking but does anyone know of any good conversational starters with new people? I need to start trying to talk to new people I but find it hard to start a conversation.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starting college.... again :( - September 3rd 2009, 11:15 PM

H
ey.. I'm new on here but just read your post, as I start college on monday..
I'm probably not going to be much help..sorry.. but I am quite nervous of having to go into a class wih people I don't know at all.
I've not had to 'make new friends' since starting secondary school about 5 years ago, so I'm just hoping people will be friendly enough.

I think just saying anything, random, funny or whatever will be a good enough conversation starter because the other person will probably glad that you're wanting to speak to them, just as much as you want to..what ever it is that you say.
I hope you don't feel to worried about it just think, it'll be a chance to make some good friends.. and the awkwardness of starting conversations with new people, will only last about a day.. :

I do apologise for not exactly helping.
x

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Starting college.... again :( - September 4th 2009, 03:31 AM

If you're going to talk to someone who is in the same lecture and class that you're in, then you can start by making a reference to the class. For example, you could simply ask them what they thought of the class, of the professor, of any labs or tutorials you may have, etc... . If they're not in your classes, then an easy yet effective way is to pretend you thought the person was someone else. For example, you could approach them and say "hello [insert whatever name]" or "hey, haven't see you for a while [insert name]" or something along those lines. You don't actually need to have someone who looks like the person, you could just pretend that you do. After you've said that, the person may look a bit confused and you could simply say "oh, sorry, you looked like my friend who is taking [insert course or major(s) or minor(s)]". You could also then toss in your name and then ask the person what they're taking and build from there. You could try another approach by using the environment that you're both in. For example, if you're in line to get some lunch, you could ask the person if something on the menu is good or ask if they have some change (i.e. 10 cents or something small), although the person may not be willing to lend you change. The last, and probably a classic way is to "accidentally" bump into them, apologize in a sheepish way and in doing so, toss in your name to the person and ask for their name. There are plenty of other ways, those are simply some examples.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Starting college.... again :( - September 4th 2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks guys ^_____^ I feel like a bit of tool for asking Your posts help <333

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Closed Thread