TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hope...A pretty Fairytale
Average Joe

Name: Caitlyn

Question Scared to Death - September 5th 2009, 04:30 PM

All right, I'm a freshman and I'm in the new high school. The bad thing is, the thing is as big as a mall! And everyone is cussing me out and tripping me in the halls! Everyone makes fun of me, but I haven't said anything. Is it normal to be this lonley and isolated in a school so huge?

Someone save me from myself...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scared to Death - September 5th 2009, 08:12 PM

Hey Katelin,

I do believe that it is more likely to feel lonely if you are in a school of more people, rather than less. High schools can also be hard if you're new. Many people usually have the friendships that they do take from junior high or elementary schools.

I do find though, that many people do eventually start looking for their own groups of people. Everyone is looking to make new friends and meet new people. Talk to the person sitting next to you about class. Eventually conversations will go outside of the classroom, and to other topics. Join school clubs and organizations! You also might find yourself become more interested in school this way as well, and find people who have common interests as well.

I'm sure that there are many, many other people in your school who are feeling lonely as well, and in a similar position as yours. All you have to do is put yourself out there and start talking to people. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain in new friends.

Enjoy your freshman year :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Scared to Death - September 5th 2009, 08:52 PM

Hey there,

Like Vincent said above me, it is more likely to feel secluded in a bigger school than a smaller one. That being said, in smaller schools it's often a little more difficult to find groups to begin hanging out with. Mostly because people are already really close and letting a new person in takes more time. At least, this is what I've noticed from moving around my fair share of times.

I think it depends on the environment you're put into. The place, the people, the staff all make coming to a new school different and easier or harder than other places. I don't think it's completely normal to have others being so rude to you like this though, and I would either stray away from rude people, or talk to a teacher. You're new, and it's expected that some people be weary of you, but they shouldn't be doing all this. It's rude and not right. You are a human being and you deserve respect.

When you walk through the halls, hold your head high though. Remember you have something to offer that is unique and special. Something no one else has. And you should be proud of that. It might take time, but things won't be like this forever. Don't be shy to show off who you are. For now though, try confronting people in class like Vince said. It's going to be much easier than people in the halls for now. Do what you're comfortable doing, and try not to push it too much. But there will be some discomfort. Everyone in your grade is new. They're all experiencing new things just like you, and most are open to whoever they can talk to. Try speaking to people that are new to the entire area just like you are? It might give you something to start conversations about.

Most of all, just keep your head high. Try not to let the new school thing bother you too much. Be ready to start conversations and smile. You are a special person. If people continue to bully you the way they are, you can do two thing. Smile and be the bigger person, this can work sometimes. I've mended some relationships this way. Or I suggest speaking to a teacher. Being distant from you is one thing, but names and physically hurting you is on another level.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread