TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

re-taking my maths gcse - September 11th 2009, 12:35 PM

a rant more than anything lol i started a new course this year at colege,i was doing performing arts last year but quit because it was crap but this year they are making me re-take my maths gcse but i don't want to. i got an E in maths but i can't do it,i have dyspraxia and they women who assed me for dyspraxia also reckons i have dyscalculus (don't know how it's spelt) it's basicaly dyslexia but with maths.
i can't even add up, i don't get it, my mum just tested me on it and asked me what 7 add 3 is and i think it's 9 but she said it isn't! i'm like what the F***! lol i'm real bad at it and i feel colege is waisting my time making me re-take it.i'm on a health and social care course and i'm in a group where everyone is crap at maths and are re-taking it but i seriously am the worst out of all of them. they say universities want a maths gcse, but i want to be a counselor not a nurse, counselors don't really need maths!.
i may speak to my tutor about it, but what do i say?? i'm terrible with words.
i feel so stupid though,my boyfriend said he will help me but i'm too embaresed to even show him how bad i am and no one understands just how little i know about it. i'm not clever at all and i don't feel the need to waste more time on re-taking maths

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: re-taking my maths gcse - September 11th 2009, 01:15 PM

Maths GCSE is kind of important and I think that you would benefit from retaking. You might just need maths for the course you are on..and a number of courses do require maths gcse grade C at University. Not just this but counsellors may need maths. They might carry out basic assessments or need to calculate how many people came to the counselling service about a certain problem (data collection, statistics of the service). I went to see a university counsellor and she needed to do this. Counsellors may need to understand medication dosages at some stage too. I've been to see counsellors at school and 6th form and I would be frustrated if they didn't understand what medication I was on..

It seems that your basic math is poor which is perhaps inevitable given that you have dyspraxia etc but I think that basic math is important in life. When I did GCSE maths I couldn't really see the point in needing to calculate cumulative frequencies etc but basic maths is a lot more applicable. I think you would benefit from working hard, gaining a lot of extra and relevant support given your dyspraxia etc and mastering some basic maths which is likely to increase your grade. You could get a personal tutor? Talk to someone at college and explain the situation (tell them about how badly your maths is affected due to dyspraxia) and tell them that you'll need a lot of extra help if they want you to re-take.

You aren't stupid at Maths. It's not that you don't get it. I seriously just think that you have a problem...it's like a disability where your maths is affected. I think that your school have failed to cater to your needs. I think that it's crap that you feel like you're not clever because you obviously aren't stupid. Your written english seems fine and you're obviously smart enough to hack the rest of the course. It sounds like it's just maths that's the problem.

I think that you need to fight for some proper help and support and stop thinking that you're stupid at maths.

Let me know how it goes.

My head is so noisy sometimes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: re-taking my maths gcse - September 11th 2009, 03:44 PM

Hi,
Maths GCSE can be useful for many different careers, and as much as I hated it, I don't think there's any harm in resitting. If you resit you could pass, and that would be a good thing. Even if you don't get the grade you want, at least you gave it another go. I think you should ask your college for some maths support, because it's not fair of them to expect you to do it alone. They should take extra time to help you improve and get the grade you want. Good luck, hope it goes well. =]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: re-taking my maths gcse - September 11th 2009, 06:02 PM

yh but it just feels like nobody understands,when i say i'm crap at maths i don't just mean i can't do graphs etc,i literaly mean i'm so low on knowledge and i don't understand what it all means and i just can't cope with it.

extra support wouldn't help, as soon as i learn something, 1 hour after i forget it and when i go to revise it just doesn't seem to be in my head.it's ridiculous and so annoying that no one understands and everyone expects me to re-take it and pass but no one realises just how bad i am, teachers always used to say to me "oh your fine,just keep practising" but like i say,i'd learn stuff in class but as soon as i got home i'd forget it completly and i couldn't revise because i didn't know what it was about.

i feel pressured to do something and there is no way i will pass this, we have a year to re-take it but i will need like 10 years because i don't even know how to add up. and yh i know some universities would want maths BUT this is what i'm saying, i don't even know if i want to go to university,it's too much money,i can get a job without having maths!. it's so frustrating

Closed Thread