TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Lifeguarding at the community pool - September 15th 2009, 08:11 PM

Hey guys, I had a dream last night about my pool, as I usually do every night. I go all the time in summer, and since it closed last week on labor day, I've been missing it. But this dream was different, because when I woke up, I wanted to be a lifeguard!

I never really considered working at my local pool, but now I'm pretty sure this is what I want to do. I know all the parents, little kids, and most of the teens, so I figured I would have a good time there, since everyone will recognize me.

It opens in May- I know it's a long time away, but there are a few tests I have to pass. Anyone know what I'm gonna have to do? I think they're college courses, right?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Lifeguarding at the community pool - September 15th 2009, 08:16 PM

College courses? Nah.. not here, at least.

You have to get several different certifications, which will vary depending on the specific pool that you're going to work at. You need to ask them what certifications you're going to need.

At most YMCAs, you have to get YMCA/Red Cross lifeguard certified, which is basically swimming six laps, doing the "brick," taking the course on CPR/AED and stuff, and performing all of the saves. This is all taught to you over about 3 days. You do need to be able to swim well and keep your focus for long spans of time.

Why don't you think on it a few more days while you find out about the certs you need, and then check around for a local YMCA or something that offers the courses. They're usually about 200$.

Good luck.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Lifeguarding at the community pool - September 15th 2009, 08:33 PM

What's 'the brick?"

And I just remembered a huge problem I have...I can't dive for the life of me! How can I perform saves if I can't dive?!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Lifeguarding at the community pool - September 15th 2009, 08:52 PM

If you are in the UK then you need to do the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.

http://www.lifesavers.org.uk/iql/nplq.html

Quote:
Every candidate, prior to commencement of training for the NPLQ must:
Be 16 years of age;
Be able to meet the following basic fitness criteria:-

- jump / dive into deep water
- swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
- swim 100 metres continuously on front and back
in deep water, tread water for 30 seconds
- tread water for 30 seconds
- surface dive to the floor of the pool
- climb out unaided without ladder / steps and
where the pool design permits
I did it last year and it took 45 hours and we all did it in 14 weeks. For me it was offered as a school programme in the local swimming pool for all the local schools and it was free as the school paid for us.

We had to do timed swims and a series of different saves, including a spine board. I found it really difficult as I was a good swimmer just not very fit and the warm up swim would tire me but after a few weeks I was able to do everything.

My qualification runs out in 2 years and in those 2 years I have to do 20 hours of training and then retake the test at the end of the 2 years to keep my qualification.

Closed Thread