TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 03:44 AM

When I was a kid I used to be an information junkie, i'd remember everything and anything, and i'd go grades and grades beyond what they taught me (i'd ask other older people how to do it). I went through life like everyone does and it's died, I look at school like it's a babysitting place for teenagers. You don't learn anything in school, all you do is get credits so you can get a piece of paper saying you put in the time at the school.
I don't see the value of schools, and i'm almost considering not taking college.

I skip a little more than I should, they've tried sending me in to a therapist to find out what's wrong with me, and they've tried shipping me off to another "simpler" school. Difficulty isn't the problem, it's boredom. I have nothing to learn and I spend 6 hours every day sitting on a chair. Where can I get the motivation to get good grades? Don't give me simple answers because if you think it in only 5 minutes, i've probably already thought it...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 04:54 AM

It's totally different when you get to college. You get to pretty much choose the courses you want to take. Like if you want to transfer or just put in your two years, and you needed a certain amount of credits for english, you could take.. Poetry or Literature, cool classes. I'm taking piano and Spanish and they count for credits in college. If you don't want to go to class one day, you don't have to. You choose your pace and It's not as hard as everyone says (Probably not unless you're taking a lot of classes)

Give college a chance.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 07:34 AM

Most colleges have a dropoff grade average of your grade 12 year (im taking another half a semester after grade 12 to get all my credits) so basically how am I going to motivate myself to actually do the work like a good little ant and get good grades?
I know college isn't hard because all you do in college is have parties and other more distractive things.

Currently i'm skipping english class more than I should be, simply put how do I make it so english class is tolerable? I mean you don't learn anything in it that hasn't been taught already.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 06:06 PM

"all you do in college is have parties and other more distractive things"? What the fuck are you talking about? Not if you go to a proper college, study interesting things, and go to your classes.

Concerning your English situation now- alright, so you've read all the books on the syllabus (this will be a problem for me, too, later this year), you can write good enough essays, grammar's easy, etc. I don't give a fuck; you can still go to class, share your insights, hear the insights of other people (including, but not limited to, the teacher), think even more about the stuff your reading (unless the books are REALLY shit, there will always be ways to delve deeper) and keep taking what you learn in the classroom outside of it like you apparently always have.

Which books are you (presumably re-) reading?

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 06:49 PM

How do you plan on getting a job without collage? where the hell will you work? plan to be a musician or own a buisness or something? whatever. you talk so high up, you realize that right? you think you got some specail abilliteis or others aren't as smart as you or something? why aren't you in advanced classes then? that'd put you in your place. What already in? how about skipping a grade. You do know everything already don't you? or a are you learning? you have no escuses to be this way.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ♥Bliz  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 08:43 PM

See you people are responding in a hostile way, that's not how you give advice to people you even dislike. I'd teach you how but then I wouldn't be the one needing help, would I? You'd be surprised how many jobs are open to people with only grade 12, I know I could travel West and get a job that pays more than most doctors. Would I risk my entire future on the rare chance I get that job? No, i'm in Canada by the way and yes, all of our colleges are like how I described.
I won't be able to afford an expensive college which are the ones you're more than likely giving me examples of how i'm wrong about colleges. I have about $500 in my bank account and even if I started working part time now, I still couldn't afford it.
I won't get a student loan from the government, it sounds like another way to make people get more in debt and steal people's money, I won't use credit, so all I can choose is a crappy college that somehow relates to whatever I want to do for a job.
I didn't intentionally talk all high and mighty, I was explaining the way my childhood was. I didn't skip grades because at first they wouldn't let me, then I just gave up on trying hard to learn things.
Basically the school trained me to hate school. When I was a kid I used to write very neat, albeit slowly. The teachers told me to write faster, and thus, my writing is now messy. Now I get less marks for writing messy since a teacher taught me to write messy in order to write something on time. Therefore yet again school has taught me how to fail in school.
I said not to give me simple answers because I figured it'd cut time down and make it easier for us to find what my problem really is. I figure you guys have something better to do than help an "asshole" like me, so I figured i'd make it quicker and easier for you to give advice.

Last edited by Dervisher; October 10th 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Might as well throw this in

(#7 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 08:59 PM

This thread is for giving advice, not insulting others. Any more hostility from anybody and action will be taken. Thank you. (:

Hey there!
It's very hard to find motivation, I know how you feel, to be honest. To tell you the truth, school is not for everyone. It's just not. And especially college. There's no law saying you have to go to college. If you don't want to go, then don't. But I would recommend it, if you want a good career. There are all sorts of interesting courses to take in college, and it can be so much better than school. With school you have a fairly limited choice of subjects, whereas in college there are literally thousands of degrees to choose from, there really is something for everyone. College is not all fun and games, though. It's better than High School, I would assume, but you do have to put in a lot of work.

Now, of course, there lies the problem. Getting the results to get into college in order to do the more interesting and exciting things. I'd suggest you start visiting some college, and researching some degrees. When you find a degree or a college that you'd really like to get into, then maybe you'll find the drive to go and reach that goal. It's not easy getting the motivation to get there, but it can be done. Just think of what you want to do with your life. Sit down and write out a list of everything you would like to achieve, and the write down the ways you can achieve those goals.

Talk to your teachers about your writing, by the way. I have the same problem, and my teachers sometimes excuse me for not having finished a test (of course, this only works in class tests and not more official exams) so that I can concentrate on getting my writing better. Perhaps you could speak to them about being able to complete your work on a laptop, that way you won't need to write. Since all work is done on computers in college, anyway, you only have to worry about this problem while in High School.

You have to learn to motivate yourself. And trust me, I know how hard it is. Nobody likes having to go into school and obey all the rules and do all that work, but it has to be done. So try make the best of it, yeah? I'm sorry if my advice doesn't help much, I just thought I'd pitch in my two cents. Talk to your guidance counsellor and your teachers about how you're feeling, don't be afraid to ask for help. You need support in order to keep your motivation.

If you ever need to talk or anything, send a message my way anytime at all. (:

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 09:03 PM

I apologize if I disrespected anyone giving out advice, and thanks nicola.
I guess all I can do is keep doing what i'm doing, although talking to guidance teachers isn't a good thing. All they've tried to do is send me to counsellors and see if I need medication.
There's one thing that I have as a goal but it's so unsure and could become nothing so quick... but I guess everyone has to take a chance.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervisher View Post
I apologize if I disrespected anyone giving out advice, and thanks nicola.
I guess all I can do is keep doing what i'm doing, although talking to guidance teachers isn't a good thing. All they've tried to do is send me to counsellors and see if I need medication.
There's one thing that I have as a goal but it's so unsure and could become nothing so quick... but I guess everyone has to take a chance.
Yep, just keep trucking away! It's not easy, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Keep your eye on that goal, everything is possible as long as you believe in yourself. I hope it all works out for you. (:

(#10 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: Motivation? - October 10th 2009, 10:00 PM

I'm not trying to be overtly hostile, but I think you'll be a lot happier in the long run if you stop blaming everything else (Canada's universities, the government, your school) and actually take responsibility for your talent and work ethic.

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

Last edited by emerson; October 10th 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Closed Thread